Vent... how?! why?! urgh!!

Options
This is just a little vent.

Okay, so my first week of healthily dieting is now officially over. MFP said I should lose 1lb this week.

I've been really good, been sticking to it, been resisting cravings from the pits of hell all week. Been weighing and logging everything meticulously down to the last gram.

So this morning, I was all hyped up! I took a deep breath, did a few flexes to warm up, and I got on that scale in 2degrees celcius cold...and!...

Nothing. Not. A. Single. Ounce. Lost.

My brain said at that: "Ah screw it! Let's binge..." but I told it: "No. Be strong. Have self control. I'll give you a candy bar today, but not an entire box of chocolates like you want."

Here's hoping next week I've dropped a whole 2lb at once! :#

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Never will be. Be consistent and it will happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I had weeks like this, and we must measure more than mere weight.
    Take body measurements, and please, give this more time. There may be moments when adjustments are needed in your program, but for now, keep going.
    The key is consistency. Eat right, exercise and log your foods and exercises every day.

Don't be deterred by anything, including the occasional fail.
    You can do this, and you know you want to feel good, look your best and live well into old age.
    It takes continued effort.

Good Luck!
    <3
  • MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is such thing as "sure" thing...Be patient, some weeks, you might get 3lbs down while nothing the next one. Since you also said being done with your first week, you will learn more as you go...we all do and learn from our habits that we change slowly but surely. Good luck on your road!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Another very important aspect of weight loss is patience. It's been a week and even if you've done everything "right" that doesn't always mean you will lose weight each & every week. It took me 3 weeks before the scale actually moved.

You're going to have very frustrating moments like this throughout your weight loss journey since weight loss isn't linear at all. You will lose, you will gain, you will stay stagnant so it's a good idea to start learning coping mechanisms to deal with the fluctuations.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know. I just thought - first week = heaps of water weight loss! Yay! . Yeah not so much. And I did actually measure as well after the scale fail, didn't lose inches either.

It's been a hard first week...lots and lots of cravings and my brain telling me every 2nd day "Hey let's binge!" I don't have a lot of self control so it took some work to keep myself from doing it. And I was so excited to see the reward of it...but oh well. Maybe next Sunday. :)
  • nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i had this issue 1st few weeks too! u know what though my bs dropped into normal range,bp 2weeks later. ur body is trying to get it together & take care of ur needs!u WILL see results!!!stay with this ur worth it;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know. I just thought - first week = heaps of water weight loss! Yay! . Yeah not so much. And I did actually measure as well after the scale fail, didn't lose inches either.

It's been a hard first week...lots and lots of cravings and my brain telling me every 2nd day "Hey let's binge!" I don't have a lot of self control so it took some work to keep myself from doing it. And I was so excited to see the reward of it...but oh well. Maybe next Sunday. :)

How many calories are you eating?
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    nicjbar73 wrote: »
    i had this issue 1st few weeks too! u know what though my bs dropped into normal range,bp 2weeks later. ur body is trying to get it together & take care of ur needs!u WILL see results!!!stay with this ur worth it;)

Thanks I'll try my best! I try to eat everything in moderation as everyone here suggests, all that bothers me is that, every time I have a sweet, I crave more the next few days! But I guess I need to sharpen my self control.

And oh goodness I hope my bp doesn't drop much. I already have low bp. Did some bad dieting for a while, like 500-600cal a day, it messed up my bp permanently. I can't get up without my eyes going dark for a few secs anymore. DO NOT DO IT! EVER! (Oh and it's also probably part of the reason why I have issues with binges...)
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

My maintenance is 1600, so I'm eating 1200-1400 plus exercise calories. Depending on how I feel. Mostly 1200, and I'm not physically hungry for more, but I told myself if the cravings get REALLY bad then I'll use the other 200.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You know it could also depend on your scale. Mine won't change unless there's a 2 lb change, so I always stand on it while holding a weight and then without one. I only think this because you said it didn't change a single ounce and that used to frustrate me, but it would be hard to be the exact same ounce.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

My maintenance is 1600, so I'm eating 1200-1400 plus exercise calories. Depending on how I feel. Mostly 1200, and I'm not physically hungry for more, but I told myself if the cravings get REALLY bad then I'll use the other 200.

What are your stats? 1600 is pretty low for maintenance?
  • Tama072015
    Tama072015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You know, I threw the scale away. I started a work out with a variety of different things like TRX, crossfit type of things or plain ole caveman workouts. The first month I did it, I gained 7 pounds. However, I went down an entire dress size. Hard to be annoyed when all of your pants are loose. I have lived by that since then and really never felt better. That scale can be extremely depressing:) Good luck!!!
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    zoomtech16 wrote: »
    You know it could also depend on your scale. Mine won't change unless there's a 2 lb change, so I always stand on it while holding a weight and then without one. I only think this because you said it didn't change a single ounce and that used to frustrate me, but it would be hard to be the exact same ounce.

It was the exact same number as a week ago. No change whatsoever. Might be. I certainly didn't move it or anything. Was under the same conditions. I dunno. But tape measure also shows no change, so I guess it's not just the scale. :neutral:
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

What are your stats? 1600 is pretty low for maintenance?

I'm 22, 5'2, and kinda sendetary other than intentional walking. Yeah it is. But a while ago I did some harsh dieting, as mentioned above, and after that, 1600 is the number I maintained on for 7 months before deciding to actually not try and kill myself slowly. :) So I am certain.

Also, I eat slightly more. I burn 200 by walking everyday, so I eat 1800. Same with my diet calorie goal. If I walk the 1200 turns to 1400. (Sometimes more)
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hmm there's no way you would lose inches in a week. It takes me a month to see even a half inch change. Just keep at it, and let the goal be health and not weight loss. (if only I could take my own advice ha!)
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    hag48125 wrote: »
    You know, I threw the scale away. I started a work out with a variety of different things like TRX, crossfit type of things or plain ole caveman workouts. The first month I did it, I gained 7 pounds. However, I went down an entire dress size. Hard to be annoyed when all of your pants are loose. I have lived by that since then and really never felt better. That scale can be extremely depressing:) Good luck!!!

I'm not sure what I'm doing is helping any. But I hate strength training. So instead of doing an entire workout, I do this EVERY morning and evening >> 20 pushups, 20 squats, 20 second plank, 20 crunches. As I get used to it I do different variations of them. It's much easier for me that way. :)
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Hmm there's no way you would lose inches in a week. It takes me a month to see even a half inch change. Just keep at it, and let the goal be health and not weight loss. (if only I could take my own advice ha!)

I know right! I give people advice on how to avoid binging and I can't do it myself. :/ hahaha. Where I live, we measure centimetres. Usually, when I lose 2lb I lose 1cm around my waist. So 1lb should have been 0.5cm loss. :) So not a lot but definitely noticeable.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I know right! I give people advice on how to avoid binging and I can't do it myself. :/ hahaha. Where I live, we measure centimetres. Usually, when I lose 2lb I lose 1cm around my waist. So 1lb should have been 0.5cm loss. :) So not a lot but definitely noticeable.

It doesn't work like that. You won't lose inches off your waist every time you lose weight.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

It doesn't work like that. You won't lose inches off your waist every time you lose weight.

It does with my body. Not sure about other places other than my waist. But I know I can't always see it lost. Because bloating and other factors. But it does happen. *shrugs*
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Here is something that will definitely make you feel better about your weightloss. I eat at 1200 calories consistently, hard line limit, exercise or no [too tired to exercise lately, anyway]. I'm 5'2, 24, female. Started at 200lbs, currently at 160.2lbs.

I will occasionally stay at the same weight for 4-5 weeks straight. My scale changes with every .2lbs - not even that would budge. BUT... I'll suddenly drop 8lbs in a day. A lot of peeing, that day, I tell you. This has happened to me a lot. Right now is a steady/slow loss, but I've figured the staying held & dropping all at once happened when I would eat things with a lot of sodium, low calories or not. Sodium makes your body hold onto water weight. Note; yes, I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself every day, or even multiple times a day, but this is why I do - it just all disappears at once, confusingly. Also, I'm super close to my FIRST goal, so I'm just waiting for that, .2lbs away/

Do you weigh everything you eat? And I mean, don't just calculate '2 slices of bread' from their serving sizes, but actually WEIGH it. It is extremely important. This video is a great wake-up for those who don't weigh their food.