Finding the right trainers!!

Options
Hoping to find some knowledgeable and experienced peeps on here!

I'm pretty new to exercise, any excerise. About 3 months ago I tried Zumba, loved it, did it twice a week. Got all kinds of hooked and now I do 3xZumba,1xZumba Step,1xPiloxing,1xYogaFit per week.

Trouble is, in the last two weeks I'm in all sorts of trouble with my ankles. Pain started in one, got worse and worse, irritated by any exercise but Zumba in particular is a problem. Pain is on the inside of the ankle, diagnosed as ligament damage and now the other ankle is starting with the same pain in the same place. This is really slowing me up and frustrating me.

Having spoken to my instructor it seems it could be my trainers are the problem.

Has anyone had similar issues and know anything about whether footwear was a factor?

Thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    They do make Zumba shoes. If you're getting pain in your ankles, it's more than likely due to rotation and some shoes just stick hard to floors.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lollymartin2015
    lollymartin2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do wear trainers appropriate to Zumba, Nike Studio 2 Cross Trainers with a pivot point. Had these for about a month as my previous trainers were running ones which were too grippy and bothering my knees. In case these are the problem I've now ordered Nike Dual Fusion 3 Cross Trainers. No pivot point but they have a different sole and fit so we'll see how they go. Thinking of going for gait analysis to see how I walk as I know a lot of people who do dance oriented exercises where split sole shoes but I think I need to understand my arches before I go down that road
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend getting your gait checked. There are sports stores now with staff very well trained in assessing your gait and finding shoes to match your needs exactly. I'd ask around in your location and get some recommendations. I did this and found the perfect shoes for my needs. I had that AHH moment the second I put them on!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Well based your info, I'm assuming that your knees maybe "bending" inward when you stand straight. It's not uncommon for people who have a lot of weight to lose for this posture. The angle of your knees when you move WILL have an effect on your ankles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lollymartin2015
    lollymartin2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Gait analysis will be done asap! See where that takes me!