neck muscles....

Options
I have been having a weird pulsing in my head since starting tae bo. A very huge part of me knew it could be solved by chiropractic, but a small part of me was concerned it was something medically wrong. Anyhow, i went to see my medical dr today, told her all my symptoms and that I started working out a few weeks ago. After listening to me, she said I was having tension headaches. She said i needed to strenghten my neck and shoulder muscles and to make sure I was stretching before and after working out.

So, i need to know what kind of exercises to do to help build my muscles in my shoulders and neck.....ANY SUGGESTIONS :)

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Shoulder presses, shrugs, lateral raises, front raises, and bent over raises all target the shoulders and upper back/neck muscles.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the neck muscles....I think they are more built for endurance anyway, not really for power..
    The trapezius (connects your upper neck to your lower back) you can work for power, and strength.
    Do Shrugs, and Upright Shoulder Rows to work these.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You know...i'm so releived to see someone else write about this, I thought I was the only one who got this!
    I get it when i'm doing higher impact stuff like jumping jacks, almost a feeling like when you have water moving in your ear each time I jump, and then sometimes i'm left with the pulsing feeling, but it ALWAYS goes away after an adjustment, I too have been told it's neck related. I don't have exercise suggestions, but thank you to Carl1738, i'll have to try some of those too!
  • amandae79
    amandae79 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carl and Saint.... I will start working on those exercises right away!
  • amandae79
    Options
    @ shiseido_faerie, my dr told me she had the same problem when she started working out. She said it is common and to take ibuprofen 2 times a day and stretch as often as i can through out the day. Get an adjusment (ya, finally an md that agrees chiropractic is okay :) or a massage.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Good to know. I have an adjustment tomorrow and a massage Saturday so I should be good to go :)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. Too many exercises. Not to mention Upright Rows can DESTROY your shoulders.

Here is the ONE exercise you need to worry about:

Military Press: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/seated-barbell-military-press

Do 5 sets of 5 reps with a 45lb bar (Olympic Barbell). If you cannot, start with a standard/Junior barbell (20lbs) and add 5lbs every week until you can do the Olympic bar, then use that and add 5lbs every week.

Assuming a 3 day a week plan, do these Monday and Friday. Skip shoulders/neck on Wednesday and do something like back or chest instead.
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm in PT at my chiropractor for a chronic neck issue caused by a previous car accident. I have weak muscles in that area so I do shoulder rolls where I then hold my shoulder blades back like I have a pencil between them for 3-5 seconds per rep with 15 reps. I also do resistance band training my rowing back, curling out, and then stretching all of the way out. I also do several neck stretches. If I were you, I'd look up cervical exercises and stretches to strengthen this area of your body.
  • amandae79
    Options
    I'm in PT at my chiropractor for a chronic neck issue caused by a previous car accident. I have weak muscles in that area so I do shoulder rolls where I then hold my shoulder blades back like I have a pencil between them for 3-5 seconds per rep with 15 reps. I also do resistance band training my rowing back, curling out, and then stretching all of the way out. I also do several neck stretches. If I were you, I'd look up cervical exercises and stretches to strengthen this area of your body.

I used to work for a chiropractor and i did the therapy and rehab in that office. I have started doing the exercises that i remember our patients doing... pretty much sounds like what you are doing... Thanks for the advice :)
  • amandae79
    Options
    Holy crap. Too many exercises. Not to mention Upright Rows can DESTROY your shoulders.

Here is the ONE exercise you need to worry about:

Military Press: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/seated-barbell-military-press

Do 5 sets of 5 reps with a 45lb bar (Olympic Barbell). If you cannot, start with a standard/Junior barbell (20lbs) and add 5lbs every week until you can do the Olympic bar, then use that and add 5lbs every week.

Assuming a 3 day a week plan, do these Monday and Friday. Skip shoulders/neck on Wednesday and do something like back or chest instead.

I will check this out! THank you :)