Meal Replacements

Options
FatPixiee
FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
While I know it's probably better to just eat real food, there are some days where nothing solid appeals to me. This always happens when I diet. I still want to put something in my body in these instances, just so I'm not starving myself. Does anyone know of some good meal replacement shakes that I can just pull out of the fridge and drink? They don't have to taste great, just you know, ok. I don't want a lot of calories, maybe 2-300, enough to get me through lunch time if I'm not up to eating. I tried Carnation Instant Breakfast before and that was pretty good. I think it killed appetite for a while. What about drinkable yogurt? And do meal replacement shakes actually stave off hunger?

Replies

• KeelyMullins
    KeelyMullins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've just started the exante shakes.. It was a groupon offer so thought would have a go. I'm doing it 5:2 on non consecutive days. It has definitely been enough for me til the next shake..As long as you keep up with the water! They are pretty tasty but I do eat anything! Good luck :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    "This always happens when I diet" . . . I would try to change my mindset that you are doing something now that is special or for only a set length of time and try to look at this as something you plan to do every day forever.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ensure and Boost are better than nothing, but it's really better to just wait until you're hungry and eat something healthy, if you can manage that. If you can't, get a chocolate and a vanilla and see which one you like. Many people have a serious preference!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at labels in the grocery store? They usually sell shakes there.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Ensure and Boost are better than nothing, but it's really better to just wait until you're hungry and eat something healthy, if you can manage that. If you can't, get a chocolate and a vanilla and see which one you like. Many people have a serious preference!

The ensure cans can be good for a dessert if you freeze them and open with a can opener.
  • ElainaMor
    ElainaMor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can order Pure & Simple Weight Management shake (powder) from Costco...$16.97 for 30 servings, tastes really good and keeps me from feeling hungry.
  • Keelahopkin
    Keelahopkin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My favorites are premier protein 160 cal (chocolate or strawberry) from Costco or pure protein plus 140 cal (only the powder not premix. The pure plus is loaded with vitamins
  • rongata
    rongata Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    http://store.nugonutrition.com/products/52502.html nugo dark chocolate bars are really good
  • angelaraedesigns
    angelaraedesigns Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    "This always happens when I diet" . . . I would try to change my mindset that you are doing something now that is special or for only a set length of time and try to look at this as something you plan to do every day forever.

wait. WHAT?! you suggest she change her mindset to looking at a weight loss method as something she plans to do EVERY DAY FOREVER.
    are you sure?
    in my humble opinion our chosen weight loss method should be something that MOST DEFINITELY ends or has a set length of time, or we aren't doing it right.

I think what mindset you are talking about is for the methods for maintenance NOT weight loss itself.

I know I don't want to be losing weight FOREVER. I picture the green witch of OZ....."I'm melting....I'm melting"....into a pool of nothing.

Now my two cents about the OP's question. I have found that only reducing my carb intake reduces my appetite. and I love using VegaOne for shakes. Feel like I get excellent nutritional bang for my calorie buck, it's quick, when I need something to be quick and I fills me up and gives me the energy I need.

now it doesn't taste that great. But thank god, it's not something I have to do every day forever. or else kill me now. lol
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

wait. WHAT?! you suggest she change her mindset to looking at a weight loss method as something she plans to do EVERY DAY FOREVER.
    are you sure?
    in my humble opinion our chosen weight loss method should be something that MOST DEFINITELY ends or has a set length of time, or we aren't doing it right.

I think what mindset you are talking about is for the methods for maintenance NOT weight loss itself.

I know I don't want to be losing weight FOREVER. I picture the green witch of OZ....."I'm melting....I'm melting"....into a pool of nothing.

Now my two cents about the OP's question. I have found that only reducing my carb intake reduces my appetite. and I love using VegaOne for shakes. Feel like I get excellent nutritional bang for my calorie buck, it's quick, when I need something to be quick and I fills me up and gives me the energy I need.

now it doesn't taste that great. But thank god, it's not something I have to do every day forever. or else kill me now. lol
    I agree that the weight loss method should be in line with what a person is willing to do forever.

If you change your eating around just for weight loss, you'll likely keep thinking "I can't wait until I get done with this diet so that I can go back to eating the way that I like to eat" and that can lead to gaining the weight back plus some more.

If you learn to lose weight while eating your usual foods (just in smaller portions), you can then add some calories when you reach maintenance.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    perhaps look into Protein powders rather than meal replacement shakes? I noticed that a lot of the meal replacement shakes are just skim milk powder, flavour and sugar - none of which is very great for you!! If you have a protein shake then maybe you might feel fuller longer and you'll be getting your extra protein too instead of just sugar.

I like Amazonia Raw (a vegan one - and no- i'm not vegan or even vegetarian) I like the taste of the cocoa + coconut one. I find the normal Whey powders give me gas (I'm susceptible to lactose if I have too much of it too often).

• angelaraedesigns
    Options
    ok @seska422, I'll play.

what IF you are eating for weight loss and you don't think this "I can't wait until I get done with this diet so that I can go back to eating the way I like to eat". ????

I do think we actually agree though and maybe just getting caught up in semantics. You are suggesting eating one way for weight loss (eat usual foods but in smaller portions) and then changing when you are in maintenance (adding calories).

see what I did there. You actually agree with me. lol.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ok @seska422, I'll play.

what IF you are eating for weight loss and you don't think this "I can't wait until I get done with this diet so that I can go back to eating the way I like to eat". ????

I do think we actually agree though and maybe just getting caught up in semantics. You are suggesting eating one way for weight loss (eat usual foods but in smaller portions) and then changing when you are in maintenance (adding calories).

see what I did there. You actually agree with me. lol.
    I don't think we agree.

I don't drink shakes that I don't like. I don't eat fewer carbs (as a percentage of my calories) with the plan to go back to eating more carbs when my diet is over. MFP's default 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat is a nice macro mix for me that I can stick to now and in the future.

I'm eating frozen dinners with the occasional fast food trip. I'm eating veggies that I like with the toppings that I like. I'm eating a cookie when I want a cookie.

I'm staying under my calories while eating the foods I like. I don't feel deprived. I don't have an end point. When I've lost enough weight, I'll just eat a bit more.
  • angelaraedesigns
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ok. I agree, we disagree.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

are you sure?

I agree that the weight loss method should be in line with what a person is willing to do forever.

If you change your eating around just for weight loss, you'll likely keep thinking "I can't wait until I get done with this diet so that I can go back to eating the way that I like to eat" and that can lead to gaining the weight back plus some more.

If you learn to lose weight while eating your usual foods (just in smaller portions), you can then add some calories when you reach maintenance.

Agreed
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Absolutely this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• slimmjim78
    slimmjim78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check out soylent.com. Exactly what you're looking for. I use this when I'm too lazy to cook, keeps me from going out and eating junk.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Tbh after 28 years of losing and gaining weight any weightloss plan fails for many reasons
    We all know too many calories in to out = weight gain and visa versa
    Ive done every plan possible lost lots weight regained lots weight
    Why
    As I get lazy and the invert wears off plus my life's been rubbish so i admonition to the occasional comfort eating
    Also o long to be like lots people eat normal bit once you get into yoyo land you screw your body up you can't eat like normal people weight goes back on faster
    I only do meal replacement 6-10 weeks max then calorie count if ive more than 50lbs to lose
    Im sure most people wouldn't choose to go hardcore into ketosis to lose weight it's hell tbh
    Tbh weightloss is hard that's why there's so many rich diet companies
    Personally we need more help into why we over eat before dieting
  • adsaylor
    adsaylor Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I drink shakeology and do a workout program and I am losing weight.