I RAN A MILE! (C25K story)

Options
MegJo
MegJo Posts: 398 Member
..and lived to talk about it! I'm totally floored.

Allow me to start by saying I am NOT a runner. The only time I'd run is if someone was chasing me or if there was cake in the next room. I'm a big girl with HUGE legs and butt that looks like two basketballs fused together. Running isn't just hard for me, it physically HURTS all over. I started doing jogging intervals on my own back in March. They were kind of hit or miss. I had no real schedule. I'd just jump on a treadmill and start flailing all over the place. I decided I needed a goal to work towardsa and signed up for a 5K that'll take place July 4th. While looking for races I came across the C25K program online. I'd seen postings on the boards for a while but I'd never really checked it out. Fast forward to Week 5 and I just ran a mile OUTSIDE against the wind on an 80 degree day. I've ALWAYS wanted to run a mile. It's been a fitness goal of mine for a very long time. The C25K goal for Week 5/Day 3 is to run 20 minutes or 2 miles without stopping, and for a brief minute I was bummed that I didn't complete it... then I realized that I had just run a mile in 13 minutes. I took a walking break (and a pee break at the local park - why the hell does running make me have to PEE?!) and then I finshed out the last 7 minutes of running to get me to that elusive 20 minute mark. I am so proud of myself. C25K is hard, but it is SO worth it.

When I first joined MFP I spent DAYS on the success boards drooling over every ones accomplishments. I never thought I'd be posting a story of my very own 8ish months later.

I have about a month until my very first 5K and I plan on ROCKIN' IT!

This is possible for everyone. Keep your chin up!

Here's the link to C25K if anyone is interested: http://www.c25k.com/

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    GO YOU!!!! WOOHOOOO!
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    Congratulations!! What a big deal this must be, and rightly so! I am proud of you and I know for sure that you will completely rock that 5K in July! Keep it up!
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the best!!! I am always amazed when I hit a milestone like that!

Good job!!

btw. I loved C25k too
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    awesome job!!!!! :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! I love C25K -- BIG believer. I've done two races so far this summer, and have two more registered.

Feel free to add me if you'd like an obnoxious cheerleader for your run updates. :smile:
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep it going and good luck on your 5K! :)
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and very inspiring!! I am not a runner at all either and I've looked briefly into C25K but haven't taken the plunge yet. Perhaps I'll start it when I get back from my honeymoon to get off whatever weight I gain..

Thank you again for sharing!!! And good luck on the 4th!
  • MrsVagus
    MrsVagus Posts: 82
    Options
    AHHH!!! Thank you for posting this- you totally made my day!
    I just started the C25K program today, and I have never ever ever run before willingly. It went okay but was very very hard for me- so seeing this made me feel a little better. Thank you for sharing!
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    great job!!!!!!!!
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    WTG! I love C25K - it's simply amazing. Congrats on your HUGE accomplishment and keep pushing yourself! Cant wait to hear about your 5k in July!

Melissa
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the good work! I, like you, would only run if there was a zombie chasing me (which was never) until I found c25k this past January. It's a great program! Atta girl! :drinker:
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I (one day) hope to be able to run a mile. I'll get there...just not yet. I started c25k but I really need to have better shoes to run. Without them, my knees start throbbing. At this rate you will be running the whole 5k! Keep it up and let us know how your 5k goes!!! :happy:
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    That is fantastic!! You have inspired me to try c25k, waiting for it to load as i type! Look forward to hearing about your 5k in July :)
  • jami54
    jami54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    awesome work! I as well am doing the C25K program and my first 5K is in September, which is a ways away, but I am hoping I will be ready for it!!
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    great job!! keep it up!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    AWESOME JOB~~I just ran my first mile without stopping about 3 weeks ago...it is a great feeling!
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the good work! I, like you, would only run if there was a zombie chasing me (which was never) until I found c25k this past January. It's a great program! Atta girl! :drinker:

Lol this is the 2nd or 3rd post I read today about Zombie chasing. Love it :-)
  • megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I am so very happy and proud of you !!!
    You deserve it ...you are working so hard!
    Keep it up!!
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! I'm repeating week 4 now, and the idea of 8 minutes running is scary, not to mention 20. Every time I read a post like this it renews my hope a little bit!
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    Congrats!

I have a similar story. I have been wanting for a long time to be able to jog One mile straight without stopping (it's on my bucket list). I have been "training" or exercising everyday for two weeks now walking and jogging outside in my neighborhood (I walk/job one mile a day). I can currently jog .4 miles straight without stopping! (I walk the other half)

I do the same thing you did, I come on MFP everyday and look at the Success Stories to give me encouragement and the motivation to know that it can and will be done.

Before MFP I kept saying I was going to lose weight....thanks to MFP I am losing weight :D

Thank you MFP and everyone who posts their stories and pictures.
    M.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!