Addicted to food

Options
Howdy! New here. I've struggled with weight all my life and finally at the age of 57 I'm ready to do something about my health. I have arthritic knees and back and type 2 diabetic with a family history of heart disease and diabetes . It's time I change somethings! It wasn't until recently that I realised food is an addiction for me. While some have addictions to drugs, alcohol, etc... My addiction is food. I find myself constantly thinking about what I'm going to eat the minute I wake up! And when I find something that I like (that tastes great) I tend to go overboard with it and eat it over and over again! The amount of what I eat is also an issue. I don't just have 1 serving but 2 sometimes 3! And don't get me started on pizza! I can scarf down a large in no time flat! So, with the help of the Good Lord, prayers, my friends and Myfitness Pal hoping I stay on track.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Similar age and arthritic concerns. Last Oct (2014) I got heavy into coconut oil and cut out most all foods containing sugar and/or grains. I no longer seem to be addicted to food because I have no carb cravings. Arthritic pain well controlled but still there a bit and I am dropping 1+ pound of fat each month.
  • mirandagirl2
    mirandagirl2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I understand what you are feeling. I know you can do this and make the changes to get healthy. We are all here to support you. Feel free to add ☺
  • CorrieLA
    CorrieLA Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same addiction!! Unfortunately I can't just stop eating cold-turkey!! :) Portion size is a huge issue for me as well!! Friend request sent. :)
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    looks like you have company on this subject.... I wish you great success on your weight loss journey. It is never too late to get started taking care of you!
  • PollyEH
    PollyEH Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really identify with what you said, particularly about portion control (or lack of), and constant thinking about food. Something that has completely changed my outlook is hypnosis. I was totally sceptical at first, but borrowed a book from the library, figuring it wasn't costing me anything to try it. Now I do some kind of self-hypnosis every day, not just for emotional eating, but also for sleep, general relaxation etc. It takes about 20 minutes. Now, although yeah of course it would be great to be able to eat pizzas every meal, I don't feel deprived that I can't. I would really recommend giving it a go, for anyone who is an emotional eater.