What are you favourite philosophy books ?

Options

Replies

• kasrok
    kasrok Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a philosophy book, but I was introduced to it through a Philosophy class

Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The Republic of Plato is one of my favorite books of any genre.
  • Tom_Head
    Tom_Head Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Simone Weil, Gravity and Grace. A very short book of religious philosophy that takes a very long time to read, and rewards multiple readings. Can't recommend it highly enough, especially if you're religious but even if you're not; Camus called her the greatest mind of his generation, and you really have to pay attention to follow her train of thought.

While we're on the subject of Camus, anything by him. And anything by William James or John Dewey; the American pragmatists were bracingly direct and plainspoken by the standards of philosophy, but they had much to say.

Frantz Fanon, The Wretched of the Earth.

Martin Buber, I and Thou.

Abraham Joshua Heschel, Man is Not Alone.

A.J. Ayer, Language, Truth, and Logic.

Charles Hartshorne, Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes.

Hannah Arendt, Eichmann in Jerusalem.

Hans-Georg Gadamer's Truth and Method is hard to read, but worth the effort. If you only read one dead bold-letter German, Gadamer is my pick.

Alfred North Whitehead's Process and Reality and Julian Jaynes' The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind are both brilliant works of philosophy (and yes, the latter is philosophy—at least from where I sit), but almost nobody understands or agrees with them. They're useful mostly because they give your mind a pleasant melty feeling.

I think much of C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity is more philosophy than apologetics and while I seem to agree with a little less of it each year, it's delightfully well-written and played an important role in my life when I was younger.

James Baldwin's essays are not usually considered philosophy, but I classify them as such. I recommend starting with The Devil Finds Work.

When it comes to the Greeks, I prefer the Stoics to Plato and Aristotle. Epictetus' Enchiridion is one of my favorite works of any era. (You can find it online by Googling it.)

Also: It's not a book, but the single most influential essay on moral philosophy of the 20th century, Elizabeth Anscombe's "Modern Moral Philosophy" (1958), can be found online and is well worth reading.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guude series.
    Symposium - Plato
    Bible
    The Dhammapada
    Lots of life lesson types books like Multipliers, any Leo Buscalia, etc.

i used to read A LOT!
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    Definitely Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog by Dr. Seuss............
  • alpha_515
    alpha_515 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just finished with Herman Hesse - Siddhartha
  • alpha_515
    Options
    Tom_Head wrote: »
    Simone Weil, Gravity and Grace. A very short book of religious philosophy that takes a very long time to read, and rewards multiple readings. Can't recommend it highly enough, especially if you're religious but even if you're not; Camus called her the greatest mind of his generation, and you really have to pay attention to follow her train of thought.

While we're on the subject of Camus, anything by him. And anything by William James or John Dewey; the American pragmatists were bracingly direct and plainspoken by the standards of philosophy, but they had much to say.

Frantz Fanon, The Wretched of the Earth.

Martin Buber, I and Thou.

Abraham Joshua Heschel, Man is Not Alone.

A.J. Ayer, Language, Truth, and Logic.

Charles Hartshorne, Omnipotence and Other Theological Mistakes.

Hannah Arendt, Eichmann in Jerusalem.

Hans-Georg Gadamer's Truth and Method is hard to read, but worth the effort. If you only read one dead bold-letter German, Gadamer is my pick.

Alfred North Whitehead's Process and Reality and Julian Jaynes' The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind are both brilliant works of philosophy (and yes, the latter is philosophy—at least from where I sit), but almost nobody understands or agrees with them. They're useful mostly because they give your mind a pleasant melty feeling.

I think much of C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity is more philosophy than apologetics and while I seem to agree with a little less of it each year, it's delightfully well-written and played an important role in my life when I was younger.

James Baldwin's essays are not usually considered philosophy, but I classify them as such. I recommend starting with The Devil Finds Work.

When it comes to the Greeks, I prefer the Stoics to Plato and Aristotle. Epictetus' Enchiridion is one of my favorite works of any era. (You can find it online by Googling it.)

Also: It's not a book, but the single most influential essay on moral philosophy of the 20th century, Elizabeth Anscombe's "Modern Moral Philosophy" (1958), can be found online and is well worth reading.

Yeah not quite religious even though I was born a catholic, I keep an open mind and fuse different schools of philosophy together to induce my own philosophy.

Stoicism has had a profound effect on me.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    I don't have any, if i read it is for college purposes only. I stuck with the Bible, the Word of Truth Booooooooooom :D
  • skahtboi
    skahtboi Posts: 7,804 Member
    Options
    alpha_515 wrote: »
    skahtboi wrote: »
    The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus
    The Power of Myth and The Hero With a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell
    skahtboi wrote: »
    The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus
    The Power of Myth and The Hero With a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell

What are the central ideas that this philosophy is based on mate ?

All are sort of the anti-philosophy philosophy. Camus was very much a founder of the philosophy of the absurd. He believed that man's search for some higher meaning was pretty much futile in the world as it is (which has a lot to do with his childhood in French occupied Algeria). He was an advocate of revolt against the routine and expected. Camus is one the more poignant writers of the last century, for my money.

Joseph Campbell was a professor of comparative religion, who took the position that man needed myths, not only as a religious tool, but as a tool of art, music, science....etc. We either need to have the existence of God, or deny the existence of any God, to have self worth. The books I mention are more of a study of comparative religion that subtly put forth the philosophical idea in the telling. He was a very gifted writer. All of his books read like a story, completely absorbing to the reader.

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    ^and J. Campbell's work has lots of cool pictures, at least the series I would skip lunch in HS to read did.
    One of the most impactful things I've ever read is a chapter: "The Grand Inquisitor" F. Dostoyevsky. I own a pocket version.
    Fond of the Classics, Romantics (Emerson).
    The Truth about the Truth- Postmodern World, Anderson (collection of authors)
    And always happy to hear people's personal philosophies- that's always fun.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Boethius - the consolation of philosophy
    Niccolo Machiavelli - the prince
    And of course, Sir Thomas More - Utopia
  • alpha_515
    Options
    I'm a Stoic and I believe in Hormesis
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The prince.

The bible.
  • alpha_515
    Options
    I've read the Prince as well, currently studying it. The 48 laws of power was based off on that..
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Mans search for meaning is good too.
  • alpha_515
    Options

Holy *kitten* I've read that as well. Also, check out Thus spoke Zarathustra and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    alpha_515 wrote: »

Holy *kitten* I've read that as well. Also, check out Thus spoke Zarathustra and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
    Ok
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    The Art of War - Sun Tzu
    The 48 Laws of Power - Robert Greene
    The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey