So many calories!

Options
It's 7:30 pm and I still have 800 calories left to eat.. 10/10, would maintain again.

Really enjoy maintenance so far, I feel much more energetic! And well, I'm not complaining over the extra food either. Seems like I am still in the cutting mindset while eating during the day so I often have at least 400 calories left after dinner.
Anyone else who kept eating like you did during your cut in the beginning of maintenance and always ended up being able to snack a bunch before bed?

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I don't come from cutting, but I quite often have a few hundred calories left after dinner. Usually though I'll eat a popsicle and always a nice cookie with my evening tea. On the weekends some chips or nuts.
    I totally love it. Knowing I ate well during the day and am able to indulge in the evenings.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to it sooner than you think, and then you will wonder how you ever managed to survive on cutting calories lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Meh. Maintenance is still hard for me. I maintain on 1800 but really would prefer to eat 2000. I had at least 300 calories for dessert in a deficit anyway.
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Meh. Maintenance is still hard for me. I maintain on 1800 but really would prefer to eat 2000. I had at least 300 calories for dessert in a deficit anyway.
    I maintain at around 2200 calories and i feel like sh,, :)).I could not survive without my winter bulk :)).I cut at 1700 tho,worst experience ever, but at least i got my abs in check=))
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It does not happen to me ;) I actually maintain on 2400ish gross calories, and i have no calorie left to eat at the end of the day. But i understand you : during my first year of maintenance i was really careful and afraid of putting weight back on. You'll get used to eating more
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    You'll get used to it sooner than you think, and then you will wonder how you ever managed to survive on cutting calories lol

^^ yep this :smiley:
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Yeah I'm sure! I'll enjoy this while I can and while I'm not used to it yet, haha.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've just hit maintenance and I'm always worried that i'm eating too much. I'm scared about putting fat back on but i guess i'll understand more of how much and what I can eat as time goes on.
  • JessUK98
    JessUK98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've set up a weight goal and it's allocated me only 1200 calories a day. I somehow pretty much manage to eat my way through all of that for breakfast! All I have is a cup of tea, some granola, natural yogurt, strawberries and a banana. By the time I've had a bite of my lunch it's game over. The only thing I don't seem to be going over on is salt.
    I think I shall carry on keeping a record of what I'm eating and not worry too much about it for now. I'm only slightly overweight and life is for living not stressing over how many calories I'm eating.
    I'm getting back into my exercise routine which should hopefully sort things out. So long as my pants don't feel tight I'm happy!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've just hit maintenance and I'm always worried that i'm eating too much. I'm scared about putting fat back on but i guess i'll understand more of how much and what I can eat as time goes on.

Congrats on hitting maintenance. Don't worry so much about putting the weight back on. That feeling will go away in time.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It does not happen to me ;) I actually maintain on 2400ish gross calories, and i have no calorie left to eat at the end of the day.
    Same here! (although i maintain at around 2000).
    I really don't know how most of you "struggle" with eating more food!
    As soon as i got to goal weight i upped my calories immediately. Lol
    But as others have said OP, you'll get used to it.
    If you're more of a clean eater, try eating more Nuts (which are very calorific).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

THIS. I should never, ever, have taken a diet break 2 pounds from my goal (although I had no choice, I went on vacations). I haven't lost a pound since I did because I'm just hungrier overall.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Allelito wrote: »
    It's 7:30 pm and I still have 800 calories left to eat.. 10/10, would maintain again.

Really enjoy maintenance so far, I feel much more energetic! And well, I'm not complaining over the extra food either. Seems like I am still in the cutting mindset while eating during the day so I often have at least 400 calories left after dinner.
    Anyone else who kept eating like you did during your cut in the beginning of maintenance and always ended up being able to snack a bunch before bed?

I have been maintaining for 19 months and I had 455 calories left yesterday. It's usually just my exercise calories that I have left, but I wasn't hungry yesterday so when I met my protein goal, I stopped eating. On Friday I was 227 over maintenance. You'll get better at balancing your food out over time.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I plan the day in advance so I know what I'm going to eat

If I gain more cals, I just eat them back

but at the beginning of my maintenance, my brain was still in "saving mode" so I was saving a lot and not eating them back

• sothgo
    sothgo Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ²
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I always have a few hundred calories left after dinner and often have a snack at 9. I've gotten into the habit of having 1/4 cup of ice cream and nuts around then. Not too much but a I nice treat.

I'm usually still under, but I've been maintaining a few years and if I'm not hungry (summer), I don't eat them. In the winter I'm much closer. And then there's days you want them and more and you have them banked. You have to listen to your body and get into good habits so you can hear it. :)
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    JessUK98 wrote: »
    I've set up a weight goal and it's allocated me only 1200 calories a day. I somehow pretty much manage to eat my way through all of that for breakfast! All I have is a cup of tea, some granola, natural yogurt, strawberries and a banana. By the time I've had a bite of my lunch it's game over. The only thing I don't seem to be going over on is salt.
    I think I shall carry on keeping a record of what I'm eating and not worry too much about it for now. I'm only slightly overweight and life is for living not stressing over how many calories I'm eating.
    I'm getting back into my exercise routine which should hopefully sort things out. So long as my pants don't feel tight I'm happy!

I love your attitude! 1200 a day is crazy low, I would never encourage anyone to eat that little - unless you're super-short or already a healthy weight(in which case don't try to lose!)

But just a handy tip - your breakfast is probably adding up because of the granola! It's a really sneaky food, really high-cal and full of fats and sugars. Not a health food (but not to say you shouldn't enjoy it sometimes anyway!) Maybe swap it out for some oats/muesli? My favourite breakfast is 60g oats cooked in water, topped with agave, cinnamon and heaps of berries :)
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It does not happen to me ;) I actually maintain on 2400ish gross calories, and i have no calorie left to eat at the end of the day.
    Same here! (although i maintain at around 2000).
    I really don't know how most of you "struggle" with eating more food!
    As soon as i got to goal weight i upped my calories immediately. Lol
    But as others have said OP, you'll get used to it.
    If you're more of a clean eater, try eating more Nuts (which are very calorific).

Yeah, I've started eating more almonds and peanut butter toasts in the evenings. Yum!
    I used to always struggle NOT to eat too much so I'm not sure why I can manage to have so many calories left, I didn't think it was possible for me.. I recently got off my bc pills though and I think that has given me a bit of a decrease in appetite honestly.
    But I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I wish I had even more calories to eat. :lol:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I remember when I went from 1650 calories to 1800 and I thought it was so much food! Yeah it didn't last, lol.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The first month of maintaining I thought I had a lot to eat.....haven't felt that since, though! and that was more than 1 year and a half ago...