Mexican food!

Options
sculptcha
sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
Going to a birthday dinner with family tonight, but I don't want to go over on calories. They don't have any nutritional info available (I even called).

Any advice for low cal choices? I LOVE Mexican, but all my favorites are like a million calories.

I have a feeling I'll be having taco salad hold the taco shell :sad:

Replies

• butterflykisses9
    Options
    Taco Salads are actually worse for you than other mexican food...tons of beef, sour cream, and cheese!!! yikes!!! high calories!!!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ceviche's always good. Guac's okay, salsa's good. Easy on the rice and assorted fried food. <3 mexican, enjoy ur time :)
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    your right Mexican food is loaded with calories. I suggest you eat small (very small) portions. I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks I am super scared. :cry:
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Get the fajitas and don't eat the tortillas OR the chips.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    maybe get one of those Mexican "salad" type of things? where they just sprinkle a few tortillas, chese, etc. on top of the salad.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm half mexican, so this should help you - I normally order 2 chicken tacos (no cheese) and a side salad - I always ask if the corn tortillas are fried and ask for my tortillas to be heated but not fried.

You can get a taco salad, but no sour cream, no cheese, no guac, no shell, etc... That can be kinda complicated if you're going with a large party.

Ceviche is good too, or shrimp cocktail - just watch your portions!

There is another alternative, you could just figure what you WANT to eat and work out extra that day you're going out..... ;)
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Please use self control on the chips!! I had Mexican last friday---quesadilla fajita/rice/beans you name it. On top of that I probably ate 3 baskets of chips.....it is the most I cheated since starting this and I gotta tell you it wasn't worth it! GOOD LUCK!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Ceviche's always good.
    Ceviche IS always good. Good, good stuff!
    I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks I am super scared. :cry:
    I'm going in a few weeks too, and can't wait! I'm not about to count cals down there. What happens in Chihuahua stays in Chihuahua. :laugh:
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Skip the chips before!! Tortilla soup is a good option. Or get some kind of vegetarian enchilada (I like spinach) skip the rice and order your beans whole....its called frijoles something (you'll see it on the menu as an option). Being healthy at mexican restaurants is tough!!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would get chicken soup, skip flour tortillas - corn is better. Skip the chips, stick with the salsa rather than queso or guac. There is usually a good grilled chicken dish as well. Be careful with the refried beans, it is better to stick with the rice.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Taco Salads are actually worse for you than other mexican food...tons of beef, sour cream, and cheese!!! yikes!!! high calories!!!

Not if you're on a low carb diet. I'd do just that. . skip any taco shells, flour tortillas, chips. Plus. . . she doesn't have to eat ALL the cheese and sour cream. (But I would .. ha ha.)
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I order off the a la carte and order a taco(hard shell) with every little meat and tell them to load the veggies, no sour cream and not guac. then I order a bean tostada also without sour cream and no guac. and load up on the salsa for flavor. That is what has worked for me.
  • YogiGal7
    YogiGal7 Posts: 9
    Options
    The vegetarian fajitas (sans the sour cream) are always a delicious, but healthier choice!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Get the fajitas...but just eat what comes on the skillet.(No tortillas, rice or beans)..Even if you get the one with steak, chicken, and shrimp, the skillet will be around 600 cals.... Just chicken would be around 350....
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    Ceviche's always good.
    Ceviche IS always good. Good, good stuff!
    I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks I am super scared. :cry:
    I'm going in a few weeks too, and can't wait! I'm not about to count cals down there. What happens in Chihuahua stays in Chihuahua. :laugh:

same here no cal counting... what happens in Guadalajara stays in Guadalajar... Have fun
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There is another alternative, you could just figure what you WANT to eat and work out extra that day you're going out..... ;)

Yep, definitely got to work extra hard tonight! I've still got 762 calories left, plus whatever I burn off exercising when I get home. So I have a bit of room for indulging. I don't do it often.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Oh, and this is stupid, but I didn't even think about the chips. I'll have to tell my family to keep them way over there
    >

Fajitas or ceviche sound like my best bet.

Thanks again!