Exercise ideas when you have kids

Options
2»

Replies

• Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    And I'm proud to say I've lost 45 pounds pretty much effortlessly within 2-3 weeks after her being born but my eating habits are terrible so I'm hoping to lose another 75 to get to my ideal weight.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    And I'm proud to say I've lost 45 pounds pretty much effortlessly within 2-3 weeks after her being born but my eating habits are terrible so I'm hoping to lose another 75 to get to my ideal weight.

Well, 80-90% of weightloss comes from getting your diet under control, so if you have a hard time working out, use that time to focus on diet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Focus on changing your eating habits. Unless you plan to train like an olympic athlete, you will not outrun a bad diet.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I do have a carrier and that's the only way I bring her out as I don't have a stroller so I do plan on walking. I did just borrow my sisters stroller so that would help too.
    I was planning on walking at a trail not too far from here too, i live walking or biking there.
    I wish I could go biking, I miss it but I'm not comfortable with those baby seats for bikes and I def don't have the money for a trailer.
    And I have only ever left the baby with my dad for 2 hours while moving last week so I'm not quite comfortable with that yet but I'd love to eventually join the gym again but right now I can't afford that either.
    I'm gonna check out the library and see what they have for DVDs.

Check Craig's list for bike trailers. There always seem to be several on there in my area for pretty cheap. Have you seen the front mount bike seats? You might be more comfortable with those.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Gym with a daycare. Start getting equipment for your home, adjustable Dumbbells, kettle bells, a bench, small rack, etc., then you can workout whenever you can fit it in. Go for walks with your kids. Dance with the older one while the younger is sleeping. Checkout fitnessblender.com for some great quick workouts. Mommy and me yoga. Use the kids as weight while doing squats, push-ups, etc.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    Oh I know weight loss is mostly about diet but I miss feeling like I was in shape and could run. I love running and lifting. Maybe some day I'll have a gym membership again it for now it's not affordable for me and the only gym with a daycare is too far to bus there
  • louiseyates1
    louiseyates1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is great as it is about 25 mins in total so children won't be too bored. I have a 3&1\2 yr old girl and 11 month old boy. :)
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Some are *with* my toddler and some are around my toddler -
    Go to the park, walk baby in the stroller or carrier on path, then let older child play on the playground and follow them around. Keeping my toddler wrangled into just the playground area is like a whole extra workout.
    Do a DVD or exercise equipment at home while the baby sleeps and the older on watches a movie/tv - I pop on Doc McStuffins or Daniel Tiger and get 30 minutes to ride the stationary bike. (or have the babysitter, ie your Dad, at your house playing with them. No need to worry what they are doing with him, since you are nearby, but they are entertained)
    Most things you'll want to do while the littlest is sleeping, but they do make swim wraps, you could walk in the water with baby strapped to you, the resistance is good workout :)
    A gym with a daycare. (I know the YMCA sometimes does discounts for low income, if money is an issue)
  • becky53012
    becky53012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oh I know the struggles with kids, I have 3- 10, 6, and 6 mths :) I fit in anything when I can! Leg lifts, squats, arms.... the quick workouts add up! When my hubby gets home from work its a brisk walk- no exceptions. Even if its 15 minutes. Im learning not to feel guilty taking a few minutes to myself to work on me :) there are some great suggestions on this thread!
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I forgot about the YMCA! It's pretty close to me too! I'm assuming the Y has daycare?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have three kids - 7, 5, and 1. She gets up at 4am to hit TRX and I take the morning shift with the kids. We do calisthenics together in the morning - even the 1 year old does this and counts them out. After work I workout and then we do something together like an evening jog or bike ride (have a child tow cart for the bike).

When at home we have a few tapes/DVDs/YouTube and the Kinect for the Xbox along with a few fitness programs - the kids love this as well and get a kick out of the feedback from the Xbox.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I cycle primarily and I have one of these...

weehoo-two-2015.jpg

for when I have to lug around my 3 y.o. and/or 5 y.o.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I'm single so I just remember trying to workout with my oldest when she was younger and getting so frustrated when she would get impatient and id have to stop lol