Opinions on Herbalife?

Options
A girl at my gym has recommended I do Herbalife because the weight I've lost at the minute is muscle and not fat (I'm gutted about this). I feel like it's just a fad but I don't know enough about it and I'm leaning towards trying it because I'd just like to lose the weight really.

Has anyone done it or tried it?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Save your money for something that's actually useful.

How does this girl know you're losing muscle and not fat?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This
  • Lucy___A
    Lucy___A Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    She's my trainer at the gym and does Herbalife as a sideline. After googling and seeing it was a multi-level marketing scheme I'm rather skeptic over the whole thing.
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I agree 100%
    Herbalife is a pyramid scheme where you're roped in by a friend who wants to sell you over-priced supplement junk, then recruit you into the Herbalife Multi-Level Marketing business. Google Herbalife Scam...or Herbalife pyramid scheme...or Herbalife rip-off...
    And next time you see your friend...
    RUN!
    06zrk7br5mug.jpg

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no conflict of interest at all in someone who sells you the stuff being your trainer.
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid it.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lucy___A wrote: »
    She's my trainer at the gym and does Herbalife as a sideline. After googling and seeing it was a multi-level marketing scheme I'm rather skeptic over the whole thing.
    Thanks for the advice!

Might want to report to the manager/owner that she's pushing this junk on the clients. I don't know about this gym in particular, but most companies frown upon this sort of thing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    While losing weight you are always going to lose some muscle along with the fat. Strength training will help minimize the muscle loss but you're not going to avoid it altogether.

Your trainer has a conflict of interest and seems to try to be taking advantage of it. I wouldn't trust her at all.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    LOL! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day...

I would seriously question her credentials as a trainer if she is pushing that garbage. And how is she so sure that you are losing muscle? What did she do to determine this?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a more knowledgeable trainer. There is no possible way to lose 100% muscle and 0% fat while being active in any capacity (in other words, you aren't bedridden 24/7).
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A girl at my gym has recommended I do Herbalife because the weight I've lost at the minute is muscle and not fat (I'm gutted about this). I feel like it's just a fad but I don't know enough about it and I'm leaning towards trying it because I'd just like to lose the weight really.

Has anyone done it or tried it?

Short of a metabolic disorder, your body won't harvest large amounts of muscle for energy while it still has glycogen or lipid (blood sugar or fat) to consume. If you don't use your muscles at all then you may lose some via atrophy, but just eating at a reasonable calorie deficit won't make your muscles shrivel up.

Evolution gets us to a place where animal physiology tends to make sense. How much sense would it be if during a time of mild famine (which you are simulating by eating a calorie deficit) your lost all your muscle. This would mean that as soon as you stopped eating, you'd lose the ability to catch or gather any more food to eat. Doesn't make sense and critters who worked like this would probably be bred out of the gene pool quickly.

Keep doing what your doing. Eat sensibly, with a modest calorie restriction, do whatever exercise you like. The weight will come off.

tl;dr: It doesn't work and you're probably doing everything right already.

http://www.factsaboutherbalife.com/
  • Lucy___A
    Options
    They know she does it because she can't do it in work hours but it is such a big conflict of interest! Thanks for all the help :)
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    You really might want to consider changing trainers, as this one may not really looking out for you.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    They know she does it because she can't do it in work hours but it is such a big conflict of interest! Thanks for all the help :)
    Oh wow...
    Here's something for her inbox...
    5o4wjxyqrphj.jpg

• Lucy___A
    Options
    You really might want to consider changing trainers, as this one may not really looking out for you.

I'm only there another month and then moving quite far away. I don't think she'd be right for me long term though.
  • Lucy___A
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

I would seriously question her credentials as a trainer if she is pushing that garbage. And how is she so sure that you are losing muscle? What did she do to determine this?

She has one of those scales that tell you body composition, I'm not sure how accurate they are though

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
    You should strongly consider getting a new trainer. Any trainer that would say what she did as a means to pimp per product, is a trainer that isn't honest or concerned about you and your health, in my opinion.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

She has one of those scales that tell you body composition, I'm not sure how accurate they are though

They are not accurate. The output varies a lot based on your hydration level, which fluctuates quite a bit during the day.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your trainer does not know a thing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Want your own home-made herbalife without all the schemes and liver damaging ingredients?

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes

Personally I would rather chew on my shoe that live on a liquid diet.