Partying and Losing Weight - Gin and Slim

Options
poejegg
poejegg Posts: 26 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
A big part of my life is going out on a Saturday night with my friends. It gets me through the week. I *love* my friends, they are amazing and extremely supportive.

I've been steadily losing weight while having more than a few gin and slimline tonics. I'm trying to cut back with alternative intoxicants, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced good weight loss / muscle gain without sacrificing their weekend nights? I stay within my calorie limits, but I'd love to hear from some of you guys who have been doing this for some time.

Is it possible to transform my body without giving up my Saturday night fun? I'm so strict during the week, I feel like a few gin and slims is ok. But if I'm just making the transformation incredibly slower I'd like to know.

I'd love to hear from people who are weekend party animals like myself, who have managed to counterbalance that lifestyle against losing weight.

Replies

• poejegg
    Options
    Okay so I've just spotted a similar thread. Apologies.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10227730/going-out-with-friends#latest

One of the comments links to this very useful site:
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Sorry for the dupe thread.
  • irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that when you go out you are not just plopping down at a bar drinking and talking, but also dancing. If my assumption is wrong, then perhaps suggest to your friends to try a place that plays music you can't help but get up and dance to. Considering that you could be burning around 200 calories for every half hour of fast dancing, I'm pretty sure you would be burning off those drinks and building some muscles which could help speed up your metabolism. I think that is a lot better than just sitting at home. Plus, I'm pretty sure you are trying to lose weight not just for health reasons but so you can enjoy more out of life. If you continue doing things you enjoy while on a weight loss plan, you are more likely to stick with the healthy eating habits and keep that weight off once you have reached your goal.

I usually consider a night out dancing and partying almost like a good cardio workout at the gym.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    irnz wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that when you go out you are not just plopping down at a bar drinking and talking, but also dancing. If my assumption is wrong, then perhaps suggest to your friends to try a place that plays music you can't help but get up and dance to. Considering that you could be burning around 200 calories for every half hour of fast dancing, I'm pretty sure you would be burning off those drinks and building some muscles which could help speed up your metabolism. I think that is a lot better than just sitting at home. Plus, I'm pretty sure you are trying to lose weight not just for health reasons but so you can enjoy more out of life. If you continue doing things you enjoy while on a weight loss plan, you are more likely to stick with the healthy eating habits and keep that weight off once you have reached your goal.

I usually consider a night out dancing and partying almost like a good cardio workout at the gym.

Oh come on....

She's not going to be building muscle in a deficit... and the amount of muscle to build a significant amount of fat is pretty big, especially for a female...
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Haha agreed^^^ if anything you'd be sparing muscle..... I don't think alcohol and dancing is very anabolic lol :p
  • poejegg
    Options
    Hi guys - I realise all the friend love and G+Ts might have made my post come across a little feminine, but I'm all man :P

Thanks for the advice!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's vitally important to have balance and it sounds like you're achieving that. As long as you're seeing progress towards your goals every week then enjoy your Saturday nights.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's vitally important to have balance and it sounds like you're achieving that. As long as you're seeing progress towards your goals every week then enjoy your Saturday nights.
    Right, if you're making progress, who cares? PARTY ON!

Just remember to always gloat over those who can't party like that and see results.
    B)

• poejegg
    Options
    Haha fair enough thanks all!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    youll be less likely to maintain your progress if you have to abstain from that which makes you truly happy. if youre worried save your calories on Saturday eat a nice balanced meal (carbs, fat, protein) before you go out and then enjoy your time.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    alternative intoxicants? if its what im thinking that is truly calorie free
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Plenty of ways to party that are calorie free but I don't suggest them ;p
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Alcohol throws a wrench into fat loss in one aspect. When one has alcohol in the body, NO OTHER ENERGY source is being utilized until the alcohol is completely metabolized. No carbs, fats or protein. Alcohol can't be stored by the body, so it has to be metabolized. So if you go to be while still being buzzed or flat out drunk, NO FAT is being burned off while you sleep till the alcohol is metabolized. Fat is the primary energy at rest and most is burned off when you sleep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png