P90X or 21 Day Fix or Something Else

Options
NJDad
NJDad Posts: 37 Member
I know these questions have been asked numerous times, but I want to include my personal goals in the question.

I'm in my early 40s and easily in the erst shape of my life. I could drop a good 50 pounds and even then I'd still have a few extra pounds (I'm 5'7" and 250lbs. Dr. said to get to below 200 ASAP and then she'll stop annoying me. That's a fair goal, but my ideal weight is more like 160). My caloric intake is pretty steady at 1,900-2,000 (suggested by the app) and I've managed to only 1 pound in a month by walking (with an occasional jog mixed in) 60-90 minutes a day, 5-days a week and cleaning up the food I'm eating. I used to be in great shape 10+ years ago and got there by running 24 miles a week and strength training. I am no where near what I was able to do and walking is the most my feet/knees can handle without pain.

I'd like to lose more than 1-2 pounds a month (looking more at 4-5 a month) and walking 90 minutes is a bit boring, plus I want to include some weight lifting (I'm fairly strong, so I don't want to lose that by only doing steady-state cardio).

For lifting, I used to do a 3x3 routine 3 times a week (Starting Strength), but I'll probably add a 5x5 (strong lifts) unless I do P90X and I find the strength it has enough (or I can sub out a 3x3 or a 5x5).

All that said-- I'm looking for a program that's entertaining and effective and either has a strength element or is flexible enough that I can throw in my own strength training.

I know I can keep walking until I can jog a solid 3 miles and add lifting and deal with it-- but I do well with structure these programs provide and I like a little variety (or at least enough so it isn't exactly the same every day).

I tried Insanity and found that there was too much jumping for my joints and it was a little beyond where I wanted to start.

My friends did well with P90X, so I was thinking of that (but it does seem a little long). 21 Day Fix seemed good with the focus on nutrition and the workouts were shorter, but I like the overall fitness level people got using P90X and I like the idea of variety. Then there's T25 and all the rest of it.

Plus I'd like to get great results in 3-months before my followup visit to the Dr. and I can tell her to shut the hell up (politely).

Please excuse the details, but the general discussions without the details give me more questions than answers.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well I would say if Insanity is a little beyond where you wanted to start then so is P90X. Both are marketed as advanced programs by Beachbody. You should look more into the intermediate range programs like T25 or P90X3. Both have on screen modifiers at all times. T25 is where I started 2 years ago and I am glad I did. You're going to need to build up your lower body and core and that is where T25 excels. I know you mentioned you had joint problems. Are they legitimate issues or just overstress on your joints from the excess weight you are carrying? T25 does have alot of hopping/jumping like Insanity but the modifier always has a lesser impact move. So you can do the Alpha phase over and over until you lose enough weight that you can follow along with Shaun T and then move on to Beta where it starts incorporating more upper body. Since you are going to do a weight training regime on the side T25 is also another good option because of the emphasis the Alpha phase has on lower it's a great side workout for your cardio days while your upper body heals up.

P90X3 is more diverse. Has stuff like MMX, Yoga, Pilates, Isometrics, Plyometrics, Agility etc. Not alot of cardio though.
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I borrowed the 21 Day Fix dvds from a friend and I really enjoy the workouts, but I don't think it's necessary to purchase and do the whole eating program and shakeology. It's all about calories in, calories out.

But in terms of the workout itself, 21 DF is a good video series. There's about 8 workouts that you rotate through and each workout has modifications if you can't complete the exercise.

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If workout DVD's are what you enjoy doing, have you ever tried any of Jillian Micheal's workouts? I love her workouts. The 30 day shred is a great beginner (and non-beginner) workout. She also has a modifier that is lower impact which is great while you are trying to build your endurance and strength. You can view it for free online or its under $10 to purchase it. She has a lot other videos that are really good for beginners all the way to advanced.

I just started Insanity Max30, which is great. He also has a modifier you can follow if the moves are too advanced. The workouts are only 30 minutes, but it is really a great workout. I also like that there is no equipment needed.

Good luck! You can do it! :)
  • NJDad
    Options
    @Soundwave79 , great advice. To answer your question:

" Are they legitimate issues or just overstress on your joints from the excess weight you are carrying?"

Mostly over stress, but I have plantar fasciitis which acts up when I'm not careful. When it flares up it hurts just to walk. I'll look into T25. Is P90X3 like P90X but shorter and more introductory?

@MTDDS18 what are the workouts like? Have you tried T25 or something else for comparison?
  • NJDad
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    If workout DVD's are what you enjoy doing, have you ever tried any of Jillian Micheal's workouts?

No! I'll look at them too. The only DVD I really tried is DDP Yoga, which is kind of fun there's very little variety.

The little of this, little of that aspect of the Beachbody stuff is why I'm drawn toward it. No idea if the science behind variety is solid, but the boredom factor is real.
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    msboutros wrote: »
    @Soundwave79 , great advice. To answer your question:

" Are they legitimate issues or just overstress on your joints from the excess weight you are carrying?"

Mostly over stress, but I have plantar fasciitis which acts up when I'm not careful. When it flares up it hurts just to walk. I'll look into T25. Is P90X3 like P90X but shorter and more introductory?

@MTDDS18 what are the workouts like? Have you tried T25 or something else for comparison?

I would compare them to something like 30 Day Shred, maybe a little more challenging. I've done T25, but that was awhile ago and I don't really remember much about it. But it's probably a moderate-effort series (less than insanity, for sure). Just a mixture of strength and cardio moves.

You need weights or a resistance band for the workouts and each workout focuses on a certain area. Theres a lower body (squats, lunges, etc), upper body (presses, pushups, etc), Plyo, Cardio, Total Body, Yoga, Pilates, and an abs video.

So you follow a schedule of what days to do what exercises. The videos 30 minutes and consist of a quick warmup, ~25 minutes of the exercise portion in a 1 minute on/15 second rest format, and then a quick cool down. It's great for small spaces, I can complete it on my rug in the living room.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I've never done 21 day fix, but I'm assuming the workouts in p90x are considerably more difficult.

plus you will need a decent set of dumbbells or use the cords for p90x.

If it was me, I'd take a month - 3 months doing basic lifting and a bit of cardio before jumping into p90x.

its not a race, you'll get there. put the emphasis on getting health or looking good from now on, more so then by X date. putting to much emphasis on getting from point a to point b in a certain amount of time betrays the notion that you might stop altogether once you get to point b... and that's not productive.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat with scales? I'd try dropping your cals if you're not losing weight.

P90 is the introductory version of p90x. P90x3 is just a 30 minute version. I did it after insanity, the cardio workouts are pretty hard core.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've done p90x & t25. T25 is a ton of jumping & a waste of time if you're doing all the moves modified, in my opinion. P90x requires a serious commitment. Those 90 min yoga nights take lots of time and motivation to get through.

My favorite videos are actually free videos on YouTube. Check out FitnessBlender. Maybe start with a 5 day challenge and see how you like it. : )
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    21 Day Fix (food aspect) is way too simplistic to keep me satisfied long term. You basically get colored containers....example: I can have 3 green containers of veggies, 4 red containers of protein, and 2 yellow containers of starch.....how does this translate into a favorite recipe?....or eating out? I don't always eat foods that are 1 of this + 1 of that. There are foods that are combinations.

Losing weight is far more about taking in fewer calories...than it is about exercise. Finding exercise I enjoy is about the instructor. I really like Kelly Coffey Meyer......she's comes across as genuine (not a TV show personality)

You can check impact level of DVDs here (I can't do a ton of impact either):
    https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/146.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=146&show=10&page=1

And here:
    http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/kelly-coffey-meyer

I make my own variety by buying several DVDs / with a few different instructors.

FYI: 30 Day Shred is very high impact
  • NJDad
    Options
    OK, going to try T25. I'm a little skeptical that 25 minutes will be enough. I'll report back.
  • MotivatingOthers
    MotivatingOthers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I tried Insanity first too and found it was too much for me. So then I went to T25. It's a great workout in 25 minutes but also lots of jumping so I never finished it and kept a restarting. So I got the 21 Day Fix. It's less jumping, has weights, and felt good to actually complete a program since it was only 21 Days! I lost 7lbs and 7 inches total in round 1. Round 2 started this week and still loving it!
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'd go for swimming or water aerobics to protect your joints until you're down another 30-40 lbs. Joint pain is no fun, nor is knee replacement surgery....So look to the future you, with less weight and great joint health!
  • NJDad
    Options
    I tried Insanity first too and found it was too much for me. So then I went to T25. It's a great workout in 25 minutes but also lots of jumping so I never finished it and kept a restarting. So I got the 21 Day Fix. It's less jumping, has weights, and felt good to actually complete a program since it was only 21 Days! I lost 7lbs and 7 inches total in round 1. Round 2 started this week and still loving it!

Great job. Yeah, T25 is a little rough. I'm on day 3 (I got the streaming service so I was able to start right away). I'm going to have to modify for the time being.
  • NJDad
    Options
    I'd go for swimming or water aerobics to protect your joints until you're down another 30-40 lbs. Joint pain is no fun, nor is knee replacement surgery....So look to the future you, with less weight and great joint health!

I do like pools, but that involves gyms. That is what I'm trying to get way from because of my schedule and why short, intense workouts are attractive to me. Let's see how attractive they are to my body.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    NJDad wrote: »
    OK, going to try T25. I'm a little skeptical that 25 minutes will be enough. I'll report back.

Yea but it's 25 mins of straight work. Where as Insanity is 45 mins it's 9 minute warm ups, 6 minute stretch, 20 mins of circuits with breaks, then cool down and stretch. T25 cuts all that out except the end cool down and that's after the 25 minutes. I saw you're on day 3 already. My advice is to dynamic stretch first before you pop the video in and then post video really stretch your legs in particular the calves and achilles. T25 Alpha is a ruthless assault on your lower body.

Have you done Total Body Circuit yet? By far the hardest video in T25. To this day I still struggle to do it straight through. :s
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing T25, on week 3 of the alpha phase. I'm doing the modified workout and have lost 1 inch off my waist. I haven't weighed myself, hate the scale! But I feel amazing and each work out I'm able to push harder. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do the non-modified version in a few weeks.
    I haven't worked out in years, so modified felt best for me. I'm still dripping in sweat after each work out and feel like I've pushed myself to the limit.
    I really enjoy it because it's only 25 minutes.
    I hope to one day try other Beachbody workouts like P90X, but for now, this is working for me.

Good luck to you. We have the exact same measurements, so I feel for you. :)
  • NJDad
    Options
    rosey808 wrote: »

Good luck to you. We have the exact same measurements, so I feel for you. :)

Sister from another...wait, that doesn't work as well brother.

Good luck to you too!
  • NJDad
    Options

My advice is to dynamic stretch first before you pop the video in and then post video really stretch your legs in particular the calves and achilles. T25 Alpha is a ruthless assault on your lower body.

You ain't kidding. I'll do that for sure tonight. Probably do a little warm up routine or a couple of sun salutation cycles.
    Have you done Total Body Circuit yet? By far the hardest video in T25. To this day I still struggle to do it straight through.

Tonight. Looking forward to it and not looking forward to it in equal proportions.