Calling all vegans or anyone who know how to make seitan.

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
I'm not vegan, but I don't really enjoy meat. I'm out of creative ways to introduce more protein since soy products are not easy come by for me. I tried seitan once and I loved it, so I managed to buy some vital wheat gluten. The only problem is: all the recipes I found use nutritional yeast. I don't have access to that. What purpose does it serve in a seitan recipe? And is there a reasonable easy to find replacement that would serve the same purpose?

Replies

• JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey I've made it. Don't remember the exact recipe, but nutritional yeast isn't necessary. It's probably just to get some b12 in. : )
  • jackielynneh
    jackielynneh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just marinate my seitan in whatever marinade I'm feeling that day, and grill it. I'll grill each side until there are distinct grill marks on it. Stir fry is also a good way to go with seitan.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Thank you! So it's not an essential ingredient after all. That's a relief. Can't wait to make my own seitan when my gluten is delivered!
  • jeanettedalton464
    jeanettedalton464 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    please post your method! I have bought seitan but have to steam it for 15 minutes before using in any recipes...hoping "fresh" seitan is less time intensive
  • amusedmonkey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I haven't made any yet, but I'm planning to make the recipe posted here (minus the yeast) and planning to replace split peas with lentils.
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/08/iraqi-inspired-seitan-and-eggplant-stew.html
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Once you have your gluten ball, but it into strips. Make a big pot of whatever kind of broth you want to flavor it with. My go-to's were always onion, carrot, celery, garlic salt, and cumin for faux chicken. Or onion carrot, celery, garlic salt, browning sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and basil for mock duck. Then boil the strips for 45 minutes to an hour, let it cool and package for freezing. I used to make a big pot and freeze enough to last me 2 or 3 weeks.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Let us know how the recipe works out - I've been wanting to have a go at this for a while :)
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Okay, so I've finally attempted seitan. Everything went perfectly, until I got distracted and let the water come to a boil. It had been boiling violently for 30 minutes by the time I remembered - although the recipe specifically stated it was not to be allowed to boil. I was greeted by soggy globs of gelatinous BRAINS!!!

Brains or not, I was not going to waste my ingredients. I drained it, waited for it to cool down a bit, then pressed as much water as I could out then rubbed it between my hands until it started resembling ground beef without the hassle of pulling out the food processor. I added some egg and parmesan, more raw wheat gluten to help it come together, formed it into patties and fried it. AMAZING!

Somehow I'm glad I've ruined my first batch. Now I know exactly what to do the next time I feel like doing something with "ground" seitan.

Lesson learned. Never give up trying to salvage something even if it looks beyond repair.
  • judywoody
    judywoody Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you don't need to boil anything :-) I make a dough of flour and water (has to be like a ball) and then 'wash' the starch out in a bowl of water. It takes a while but you will end up with a ball of gluten and i then cut it into strips and marinate it. Voila!