Too little fat

Options
40 grams of fat is too few! Even if I eat really healthily (e.g. food which I know is beneficial nutrition), I am still hungry. I seem to end up eating around 45-55 grams (am losing weight) because this is a lot less than I used to eat but am curious as to how I can eat less fat and still remain full. p.s. I don't like eggs and am a veggie

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to eat less fat? As long as you have the calories to eat more, there is no reason to cut it down. Aiming for .4 grams per pound of bodyweight as a minimum is a good guideline.
  • littledante
    littledante Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why are you trying to eat less fat? As long as you have the calories to eat more, there is no reason to cut it down. Aiming for .4 grams per pound of bodyweight as a minimum is a good guideline.

Oooh that is really helpful... where did you get that info?
    Suggests I can eat 66 grams of fat a day... I was just trying to keep it down as MFP suggested 40 grams a day... plus really unhappy with stomach and thighs :0( but I find that 40g is too little and have to have a piece of filling fruit (e.g. banana) to keep me going to next meal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So change your macros instead of using MFPs factory settings? Or make your deficit smaller to get more cals
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP's macro ratio is a bit arbitrary and only a guideline. You can manually adjust your macros in the Goals area.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nuts, full fat dairy (if you eat that).
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    MFP's macro ratio is a bit arbitrary and only a guideline. You can manually adjust your macros in the Goals area.

Yes. I agree with this. A lot of people lose a significant amount weight on keto for example. Which is a high fat low carb diet. If you feel you need more fat, go for it.
  • littledante
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Useful thank you :smile:
  • littledante
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yes didn't have nuts today - it helped - they were not that filling.
  • alee145
    alee145 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the ketogenic diet, which is high fat, moderate protein, low carb. I've lost 10 lbs in a week. Granted that's mostly water weight, it's a helluva motivator. Fat is your friend. Fat is your BEST friend. I get most of my fats through dairy, coconut oil, avocado, and nuts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yes didn't have nuts today - it helped - they were not that filling.

Yeah I hear you there, they don't fill me up much either... I like cheese better for that. Or an apple with some almond butter. Typically I need two things for snacks, one thing (just a yogurt or nuts) won't fill me up, but if I have something with it (fruit, typically), it works.
  • littledante
    Options

Yeah I hear you there, they don't fill me up much either... I like cheese better for that. Or an apple with some almond butter. Typically I need two things for snacks, one thing (just a yogurt or nuts) won't fill me up, but if I have something with it (fruit, typically), it works.

Franc127, I wanted to eat nuts for the protein as I don't like eggs but perhaps having them with something else is the way to go...

I have never heard of the ketogenic diet before Alee145
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Franc127, I wanted to eat nuts for the protein as I don't like eggs but perhaps having them with something else is the way to go...

I have never heard of the ketogenic diet before Alee145

You're obviously new around here! :) There's at least one keto/low carb thread here every day.

Eggs are usually a big player in keto diets and while I'm sure you can do it without eggs, it just makes things that much harder. Now, if you were a vegan, I'd say forget it...
  • littledante
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

You're obviously new around here! :) There's at least one keto/low carb thread here every day.

Eggs are usually a big player in keto diets and while I'm sure you can do it without eggs, it just makes things that much harder. Now, if you were a vegan, I'd say forget it...

Just had a look at the diet... definitely not for me! lol
  • littledante
    Options
    Mainly because it seems to be about fast weight loss - I am a believer in slow, sustainable and whole foods for diets.