Worst Weight Loss Advice You've Received

Options
kgs0201
kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
So a few weeks ago I went on a business trip to Colorado and went to dinner one night with my co-worker. We went to a German restaurant and our waiter was a late 20's German guy who had just recently moved over to the states. We got to talking and he said he was a personal trainer in Germany and began giving me "tips"... it was the WORST information I have ever heard and I don't think he was joking! I mean he was in great shape... but honestly worst advice ever! So I can't remember everything he said but here are the top two:

1. Don't drink water. When you exercise, you sweat out the water. If you don't drink water then you sweat out the fat. So the more water you drink, the more you have to sweat out before you can start burning fat.

2. Bicycling burns more calories than running or being on the elliptical. You can burn 1 lb of fat by bicycling for 60 minutes.

So what's the worst advice you've ever gotten? Everyone's always full of fun facts!

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    LMAO at that advice... I think it's not really advice, but more of a general passed diet. It's the high carb diet for weight loss. 60% or more.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    "Why don't you try the cayenne pepper and lemon cleanse?"
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    "Why don't you try the cayenne pepper and lemon cleanse?"

Pretty much the same thing. Was told to do nothing but lemon water for 7 days and that I would drop like 20lbs. Well der...I wouldn't be eating anything!?!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just stop eating!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    ...sorry double post.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    "try a colon cleanse once a month, they remove all the toxins in your body that cause you to gain weight."

"eat ONE large meal a day."

"Try the atkins diet."

and my favorite " Why don't you go on that twinkie diet? You know that woman really did lose weight."
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Every body is different, so I guess one person's good advice could be another's bad. For me, its the "lower your sodium" advice. For me, I have to eat more sodium b/c if I don't then my blood pressure gets too low and when I work out my bp doesn't elevate with my heart rate and causes me to get dizzy, have irregular heartbeat and almost pass out. I went to see a cardiologist thinking it was my heart and he told me I needed more sodium. That or he would put me on a "salt pill." I try not to take pills for things I can do naturally, so more sodium it is!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I won't name the brand, but a neighbor hosted a party where you could buy a weight loss shake for a mere $300. You replace 2 meals a day with this shake. Um, I think it's been done. It's called Slim Fast, and it's a whole lot cheaper and it doesn't work, because as soon as you go off it, you gain back the weight.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Worst Advice I got:

"Don't eat anything. If you don't put on calories in a day you don't need to work out to lose calories."

to bad you need to eat eventually to you know....whats that thing called..?......uhhhh LIVE!

lol
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    'only buy stuff that says non-fat or reduced-fat. then you can eat as much as you want!"

lol from an aunt of mine who has gained about 40 lbs since then.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    my father once told me that i wouldn't have to exercise if I just bent over more to pick up my things off the floor... not sure if that was exercise advice or him telling me i was a slob... lol....
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Don't eat at night
    Cut out carbs
    Go on a diet
    Take some pills
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Saw someone post earlier that a 350 calorie a day and laxative diet was the best thing she ever did!! WTF????????
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    The worst possible information I have ever heard:

1) A treadmill is the ONLY way to get a cardio workout...
    2) You need to eat 250g of protein a day..(umm...I'm trying to LOSE weight..not GAIN muscle)
    3) You need sugar in your diet..Have a Strawberry Shake from McDonald's..They are good for you..(WTH)
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    Every body is different, so I guess one person's good advice could be another's bad. For me, its the "lower your sodium" advice. For me, I have to eat more sodium b/c if I don't then my blood pressure gets too low and when I work out my bp doesn't elevate with my heart rate and causes me to get dizzy, have irregular heartbeat and almost pass out. I went to see a cardiologist thinking it was my heart and he told me I needed more sodium. That or he would put me on a "salt pill." I try not to take pills for things I can do naturally, so more sodium it is!

i have a cousin with a similar condition. lol but she is a SUPER-healthy eater. her solution? kosher hotdogs between workout days.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Only eat ice. sad thing is I actually listened and eventually became anorexic when I was a teenager.
  • Dinob661
    Options
    Saw someone post earlier that a 350 calorie a day and laxative diet was the best thing she ever did!! WTF????????

wow. lol my Caloric intake is low (1100) but not THAT low... holy jeez
  • Dinob661
    Options

wow. lol my Caloric intake is low (1100) but not THAT low... holy jeez
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    I think the worst advice I've ever gotten about weight loss was any coming from one of my fat family members....that never exercise, never eat healthy, and constantly complain about being fat. But hey they know exactly what I can do to lose weight. :noway: :grumble:

Other than that, I'd probably say the no eating after a certain time, only eat salads, only exercise in the mornings. Those are some that annoy me the most.
  • sdsmart
    sdsmart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    V. funny! My mother in law told me to stop exercising because it makes you hungry and to drink lots of black tea to suppress your appetite! Um, thanks??