What is the weirdest "diet food" you make for dinner when cooking just for yourself?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'll make a scramble or an omelet out of eggs and most any old thing that's laying around. always tastes good. I make my protein shakes with cold coffee rather than water. I don't think that really qualifies as weird though. Let's see. Adding 1/2 tbsp peanut butter to 1/2 cup yogurt.... that was the nutritionist's idea. Then I put in a little vanilla and 2 packs sweetener.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    MissAbbee wrote: »
    Mine's called a Meatza. Pasically you get mince and bind it then spread it out like a pizza base, cook it then cover with a low cal sauce and some low cal cheese and voila. I think it's so yummy especially when I've already eaten all my carbs at lunch!

Funny, I make a "meatza", too, only I use a half a chicken breast (sliced thin and pounded like a cutlet) and top it with my favorite toppings--turkey pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, and red pepper flakes, + a little "real" parmesan, which goes a long way.

Who needs dough?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't eat anything specifically because it's "diet food", but loads of people here detest rice cakes and call them "diet food," lol. I like them and eat them a lot.

A rice cake with a little melted cheese and some diced tomato...pizza! :) I prefer it to real pizza, as I'm not a fan of pizza and never was. Even when I ate whatever the heck I wanted, I'd avoid pizza.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't eat anything specifically because it's "diet food", but loads of people here detest rice cakes and call them "diet food," lol. I like them and eat them a lot.

A rice cake with a little melted cheese and some diced tomato...pizza! :) I prefer it to real pizza, as I'm not a fan of pizza and never was. Even when I ate whatever the heck I wanted, I'd avoid pizza.

I love rice cakes covered in smashed avocado and tapatio!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Something I read about here and I really like... half a bag of coleslaw mix pan fried with 4 ounces of ground meat, some onions, soy sauce and rice vinegar. So good, only 240 calories (it's what I had for lunch).
  • DDAstrid
    DDAstrid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A Quorn chicken burger with a slice of melted cheese on top. Actually quite filling and just less than 200 cals.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes is my go-to "I'm farking starving but have no calories left" food.

You can eat, like, 19 pounds of it for, like 38 calories (slight exaggeration ... but not much), right?
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't know why any of these would be weird because most of your food sounds good to me! Thanks for the ideas!
  • BlossomStrikesAgain
    Options
    Not so much what the food is, but when I eat it. I wouldn't serve anyone else a bowl of tuna mayonnaise for breakfast! Or a yoghurt and a banana as dinner, followed by a bowl of casserole as a bedtime snack. Watching what I eat has made me much less likely to eat what is socially expected, and more likely to eat what I find tasty and what my body seems to be asking for, even if it's weird o'clock.

But also, skipping the carbs. If I have friends over, I cook what I'd normally cook, but I'd also make rice/pasta/potatoes to go with theirs. I'm not a low-carb dieter, but potatoes/pasta/rice are so boring! Mostly just a vehicle for getting other, tastier foodstuffs into my face, and I could just skip them and eat the tastier food with a spoon. Bolognese is a meal, doesn't need spaghetti!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    a pile of sautéed peppers, mushrooms & onions with a bit of melted mozzarella and Sriracha.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    a pile of sautéed peppers, mushrooms & onions with a bit of melted mozzarella and Sriracha.
    There's some heaven right there.
  • renbys
    renbys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am getting some REALLY good dinner ideas here.

As for me, without someone to tell me to use plates and assemble something that looks like dinner, I'll grab a couple slices of deli ham, one of muenster cheese, get a dollop of hummus out of the tub with a Wasa cracker, and party down.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't believe I eat any "diet" foods. I eat what I like and simply exercise portion control. I refuse to punish myself by eating foods I don't like simply to lose weight. I would be happy to share my meal with anyone with no apologies for the "diet" food.

It's just a fun question Buzz Killington.

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Meat as a pizza crust... you have blown my mind. I will have to try that!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your spaghetti squash dish sounds good (and not at all weird) to me. My weird "diet" food eating days are behind me. When I'm low on calories, zoodles with some pasta sauce and a little cheese are one of my go-to's. I don't really cared much for zucchini, but zoodle them and I love them. Go figure. I like yellow squash zoodles too.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    junestarrr wrote: »
    ...because lately I have been embarrassed by what I post in my public diary for dinner. I would be completely content with plain spaghetti sauce and cottage cheese over baked spaghetti squash every night. I wouldn't dare serve it to anybody though.. lol.
    TOFU
    My wife prepared this sludge, and it was like cooked mucus.
    Tofu is why I forever gave up any form of "diet food".
    :*

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Something I read about here and I really like... half a bag of coleslaw mix pan fried with 4 ounces of ground meat, some onions, soy sauce and rice vinegar. So good, only 240 calories (it's what I had for lunch).

Yep - I make "crack slaw" too, but I never make it for anyone else in the house.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My family LOVES spaghetti squash, love love love it! I wouldn't be embarrassed by that at all!
  • junestarrr
    junestarrr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm getting a lot of ideas here! Love the idea of rice cakes with avocado on top! And I only say mine was weird because my boyfriend would think that I'm nuts if I made that for dinner for both of us. LOL
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm bookmarking this thread for all the great dinner ideas! :smile: I agree that they don't seem weird, but my husband also doesn't think what I typically eat for dinner when I'm on my own counts as "dinner" either.

Some recent ones include: a bowl of cereal (wheatabix--the only cereal I find filling and tasty with reasonable calories) and milk followed by a grapefruit; coleslaw mix stir fried with whatever I have in the fridge (meat, cheese, egg, but not all at once)--my husband actually likes this one, though; cottage cheese with some coco powder and berries; egg white omelette with whatever veggies I have in the fridge and a 50 calorie cheese stick. Those are typical ones for when I'm low on calories.

Also, my main go to meal that's easy and low calorie (depending on how you do it) is homemade tomato soup. I take a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes add in whatever spices I have on hand and blend it with either low fat cream cheese, Bolthouse Blue Cheese dressing (only 35 calories a serving!) and/or olive oil (if I have the calories for it). Sometimes I also add spinach before blending it. I then heat it up and add in whatever else strikes my fancy (and that I have calories for), including meat, meatless crumbles, or an egg poached in the soup. If I have calories left over, I'll add a topping such as toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), blue cheese crumbles, Parmesan cheese, goat cheese, etc. The basic soup is really yummy, filling and less than 200 calories and a little goes a long way with the toppings.