Best waterproof activity trackers for calories/HR

Options
I think I need to get a activity tracker. I really don't care about the sleep part or whether it shows me if my phone is being called etc. I just want it to track steps taken and be a better gauge of actual calories burned when I bike, run, swim, go to gym classes. I have a Nike+ shoe chip tracker for my runs and a computer for my bike, but I hate having to try to guess how much I am burning by just using an average of my speed/time/distance when that includes hills/sprints etc. I lso would like to get a general sense of my overall activity level during the day.
I'm hearing good things about the FitBit charge but have heard bad things about FitBit in general (re: battery quality/lasting etc). What about the new Jawbone?
I should also add, I have an android (not Samsung) device. So I don't even think Fitbit is compatible, but I could be wrong.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    list from wareable
    from urban wearables
    bestfitnesstrackerreviews.com

here's a few lists.

there is a big fitbit community. I am leaning to the vivosmart but you need a separate hrm. jawbones consistently show up in the lists.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Gamin Vivoactive is probably a good choice as you're including swimming.
  • ebell07
    ebell07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    list from wareable
    from urban wearables

here's a few lists.

there is a big fitbit community. I am leaning to the vivosmart but you need a separate hrm. jawbones consistently show up in the lists.

I thought vivosmart had HRM?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    ebell07 wrote: »
    list from wareable
    from urban wearables

here's a few lists.

I think she is referring to the chest strap. I have it and like it. I rarely take it off.

• chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have used the Runtastic Orbit, which is a waterproof step tracker, and the basis peak, which has HR, steps, sleep, probably more what you are looking for. The Peak gives HR all day, basis peak.com to look it up. It's supposed to be pretty accurate and works with my note 4.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    another good choice is the Polar a300, water proof to 90 ft and will read you heart rate under water with the H7 chest strap sensor. downfall,, won't sync with MFP on android. but you can sync it with your android device. check for the app in google play to make sure it's compatible with your version of android

There's also the Polar V800 which is will give you your heart-rate underwater, also has gps, you can add cadence sensors to both for cycling
  • sosmerc
    sosmerc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Premium Heart Rate Strap/Monitor along with the Endomondo App for Android. My Sony Z3v is waterproof, but I put it in a ziplock bag inside my fanny pack when I am out on my Paddleboard. I also use my Garmin gpsmap 78sc while paddling to monitor my speed and distance and heart-rate. the gpsmap 78sc is waterproof and it floats. I use a ram mount to attach it to my board where I can easily see it...even on sunny days. I think the Endomondo app is great!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    list from wareable
    from urban wearables

here's a few lists.

it can connect to one that has ANT+ but it is not part of the wrist strap part and not all packages are sold with a hrm
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing good things about the FitBit charge but have heard bad things about FitBit in general (re: battery quality/lasting etc). What about the new Jawbone?

I should also add, I have an android (not Samsung) device. So I don't even think Fitbit is compatible, but I could be wrong.

Fitbits are not waterproof. I've rarely heard about battery problems, and I've heard nothing but good things about Fitbit customer service.

The Charge HR is only US$20 more than the Charge, but it has a heart rate monitor + a real buckle rather a clasp. They're all compatible with Android & can also sync (via a dongle) with a computer.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I also have a Jawbone UP2. Here are the compatible devices: https://jawbone.com/up/devices Jawbone customer service is so terrible I can't recommend getting one.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    list from wareable
    from urban wearables

here's a few lists.

it can connect to one that has ANT+ but it is not part of the wrist strap part and not all packages are sold with a hrm

For swimming, distance covered and stroke are better indicators of calorie expenditure. The software package in the VivoActive is based on the same software used in the Forerunner 910XT Triathlon Watch and the Garmin Swim swimming watch.

HR can help to corroborate the calorie estimation, although it's fair to say that only the Polar range work in the frequency range that penetrates water.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    ...I've heard nothing but good things about Fitbit customer service.

Indeed. I see lots of observations that they turn round failed units rapidly and broadly without challenge...

• Lastchancelj
    Lastchancelj Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    have been a fitbit user for a few years and swear by their product. Any issue I've had they are quick to attend to and correct. I've had the One (which I would put in a ziploc bag and run in the pool - that worked very well). I've moved onto the Charge HR as I believe with the HR it's getting a better calorie burn estimation. The steps and other info were very close (wore One and Charge HR simultaneously for a few weeks before fully committing). The pool is the only area I won't take my FB Charge. Their platform is easy to use and they have a great community. The only downfall to Fitbit is that they are not waterproof. So it depends on how much pool activity you are really going to encounter.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Fitbits are not waterproof. I've rarely heard about battery problems, and I've heard nothing but good things about Fitbit customer service.

The Charge HR is only US$20 more than the Charge, but it has a heart rate monitor + a real buckle rather a clasp. They're all compatible with Android & can also sync (via a dongle) with a computer.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I also have a Jawbone UP2. Here are the compatible devices: https://jawbone.com/up/devices Jawbone customer service is so terrible I can't recommend getting one.

I've seen people swimming with their fit bit on. Are some of them water proof and some of them not?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Flex for day to day activities, but switch to a Polar H7 for my steady state cardio. Cheapest and best alternative for anyone with a smartphone.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    I've seen people swimming with their fit bit on. Are some of them water proof and some of them not?

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-swim-or-shower-with-my-tracker
    All Fitbit trackers are water-resistant, which means they are rain-proof and splash-proof and can stand up to even the sweatiest workout.

Do not swim with your tracker. We also don't recommend showering with your tracker.