Spinning - what to expect?

Options
I'm going to a spin class at 8pm on Wednesday. I've never been spinning before. I've never even been to a group exercise class before!

What should I expect? I'm fully expecting to die. I'm going to have an ambulance on standby for 8:05pm!

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Get there early and tell them you're new. They'll get you all settled in. It's a hard workout but you should just go at your own pace. Don't feel like you have to keep up; rest when you need to. You'll have a great time.
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Get there early and tell them you're new. They'll get you all settled in. It's a hard workout but you should just go at your own pace. Don't feel like you have to keep up; rest when you need to. You'll have a great time.

Going to try and get there early but I work until 7pm in the next town over and then have to drop the dog home first (he comes to work with me every day) - I'm more stressed out about getting there on time than I am about actually doing it I think! I'm going with a friend so it should be ok....!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Expect your butt to hurt <~ and that's coming from someone with plenty to spare! :D Definitely get there early; depending on your gym, you may want to see if you can pre-register for the class. Spin tends to fill up very, very quickly.

Make sure to tell the instructor that you're new, and he'll help you get your bike properly situated. Pretty much everything on those things is adjustable.

I was certain the first several classes that I would topple over and cause some sort of domino effect with the bikes, but it never happened. You'll do great! Takes lots of water and a towel and you'll be good to go. :smile:
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    fjrandol wrote: »
    Expect your butt to hurt <~ and that's coming from someone with plenty to spare! :D Definitely get there early; depending on your gym, you may want to see if you can pre-register for the class. Spin tends to fill up very, very quickly.

Make sure to tell the instructor that you're new, and he'll help you get your bike properly situated. Pretty much everything on those things is adjustable.

I was certain the first several classes that I would topple over and cause some sort of domino effect with the bikes, but it never happened. You'll do great! Takes lots of water and a towel and you'll be good to go. :smile:

I hadn't even considered the fact that I might fall off! :s

My biggest concern is my back hurting - I usually use the sitty down bike rather than the sitty uppy bike as my back quickly starts to ache due to an old injury
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Sleeveless shirt, towel, and water - you will sweat a lot! I didn't think that little bike with make me sweat more than running on a treadmill but it sure did.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    never seen anyone fall off dont worry. second session i was ready with my gel seat. found the seat so uncomfortable. i expected us only to be sitting down then she made us stand up and wow i felt it. take your water and also a towel. enjoy its a great work out
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1 - get their early enough that they can set your bike up...it needs to fit right for you to enjoy your ride; take a pen and paper so you can write down your bike settings for the next outing

2 - it's your ride, go at your pace.

3 - all instructors are different so it's hard to say what to expect...i spin some in the winter when i don't necessarily feel like getting out on my bike...one instructor can be very different from the next...for example, one of the instructors at the studio I go to likes to do tons of climbing...climb, climb, climb...it's like 90% of the class...conversely, one of the other instructors likes to do a lot of flat racing tempo type of stuff with some small hills here and there...two very different spinning experiences.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You won't die! I can 99% guarantee it! I teach spin and in my opinion, it is much less daunting than any other group fitness class! The lights are low, the music is up, and you can go at your own pace and nobody will know. Use the instructor as a guide and do what you can. If you think you might not be able to get there early, adjust the seat high enough so that your leg is only slightly bent when your pedal stroke is all the way down (if you don't know what I mean, Google how to set yourself up on a spin bike). If your back gets sore, just sit up from the handlebars and take a break. As far as what to expect during the class, every gym and instructor is very different but you'll probably be doing some combination of "hills" (turning the resistance knob up, either seated or standing), "sprints" (pedaling fast) and riding out of the saddle with just a little resistance. If I know I have newbies, I make sure to give them the option to stand or stay in the saddle. I want to give you a great workout but I don't expect you to perform like the regulars in the front row who come 5 times a week! I'm happy to help if you have more questions!
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's going to be a great, hard cardio workout!

Get there about 10 minutes early and have the instructor help you set up your bike.

Make sure when the instructor tells you to "stand up" on the bike, you have enough resistance on the wheel to support your weight. Otherwise you could injure yourself.

Your butt is going to be REALLY sore... but keep going. After 2-3 classes it wont be sore anymore.

Have fun, and keep going back. :)
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel a little better now :) I find going to the gym a real chore and I get bored easily. I think group exercise will be the way forward for me but I've never yet had the courage to actually go! I've lost 115lbs so far, and in order to keep it up, I'm going to need to find some sort of exercise that I enjoy!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful time. Tell us how it went.
  • MaggotPig
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Have a wonderful time. Tell us how it went.

I will. And if you never hear from me again, it's because I died.
  • Onlyclave
    Onlyclave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After years of spin classes here's my advice:
    1. Some people have been going to that same class for a long time and they have laid claim to a particular bike or a particular spot in the room. If you take "their" spot they might say something or passive-aggressively resent you. That's just the way it is.

2. I like a spot right in front of the fan because I work hard and sweat a LOT.

3. If you wear loose, baggy clothes they won't be very comfortable. I wear spandex shorts, a road jersey and cycling shoes to every class. I also take 2 water bottles with me and drink a lot. And a towel.

4. Pedaling as fast as you can never gave much exercise. Turn up the resistance and dig deep.

5. Stretch before, stretch afterward.

6. Learn how the bike should be adjusted for you by reading and talking to several other resources. I never trust spin class instructors on bike fitment.

7. It can get loud. Your ears might ring afterward.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You can't peddle backwards on a spin bike, only forwards. If you forget, well, you could get hurt.

I miss spinning. When pregnant with my third, I did spin class until I was 7 months along, it was my healthiest pregnancy ever. Can't afford a gym membership now, so no spinning for me. I love love LOVED it! Have fun!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    a couple of years ago, A friend and I set a goal to try every class our gym offered at least once. It was so great...but then we found some we loved and never made it too all of them (Spin is one I haven't made it to). I still am in Pilates twice a week from that goal. I enjoy classes for the instructor forcing you out of your comfort zone...and the fact that it is typically at least a full hour.

Have fun! Looking forward to your story after you go!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    MaggotPig wrote: »
    I'm going to a spin class at 8pm on Wednesday. I've never been spinning before. I've never even been to a group exercise class before!

What should I expect? I'm fully expecting to die. I'm going to have an ambulance on standby for 8:05pm!

Wear a good pair of padded cycling shorts with padding that covers your sitbones. It helps. A wicking T-shirt is nice too.

Bring a towel and water.

Arrive early and talk to the instructor. You should be able to expect the instructor to set you up properly on the bike. You do need to get the fit right. Just as a very general comment about that. When the instructor has set up your saddle height. Get on the bike and pedal for a minute or so to settle in. Then place your right heel on the pedal and extend your leg so that the pedal is in the 6:00 position. Your leg should have a very slight bend at the knee. Your knee should not be locked straight, nor should it be quite bent ... just a slight bend. Adjust the saddle height again if necessary. Then replace your foot on the pedal, with the ball of your foot on the pedal, and cycle.

You can expect that the instructor is going to bellow at you to go faster and turn the resistance up, etc. etc. But you don't have to do that. If you feel uncomfortable with anything they are telling you, do something else. I mean, really uncomfortable, not just "oh dear, I'm a bit tired". :)

For example, some instructors like to suggest cranking the resistance way up so you are mashing with all your might to turn the pedals. That's OK when you're standing, but not when you are sitting ... it can damage your knees.

Other instructors like something called "jumps" which are a complete and utter waste of time. I just remain standing through those.

Hopefully you'll get a good instructor who will give you a good variety of standing (climbing) and sitting while pedalling fast against some resistance.

• MaggotPig
    Options
    Thank you again for the replies - very useful tips! I'm even more sure that I'm going to die now! Need to be prepared as I'll have to get ready at work before I leave - I don't have any cycling specific clothing yet but I'm hoping that cycling in some form or another will become "my thing" because running really doesn't appeal to me! If it's something I'm going to continue, I can look into proper gear (I may actually be able to get something that fits now!)

I have a heart rate monitor so I will be able to foresee my impending demise. My only slight concern is that my heart rate does run at a slightly higher rate than one would expect but I've had a lot of investigations into my heart and everything has come back fine besides a higher number of ectopic beats than would be considered normal. I was discharged with no further treatment required and they were happy so I should be ok on that front, but at least I can be sensible about how far I push myself.

There's talk of a kettlebells class on Monday as well :o
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Expect to have a very sore undercarriage for a few days :confounded:

Spinning is just riding a bike to no where :lol:
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As others have said, your butt and other bits will probably hurt a lot to start with, the first time I went it felt proper bruised! I would go early and tell them you're new and ask the instructor or someone to help set up your bike, adjusting the height etc to suit you will make a big difference. At the end of the day, you control the resistance on the bike so if the rest of the group are going too hard, just turn the resistance down then try to put it back up when you feel like you can. Best to take it slow and build yourself up. And take a towel/water for all the sweating! Enjoy :smile: