What is the weirdest "diet food" you make for dinner when cooking just for yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I went on an extreme low carb diet (yes it worked, but I hated it). I was constantly on the lookout for recipes that could mimic things I had been used to eating. So, one day I found a recipe for pancakes made from pork rinds. I made a batch, doused them with butter and sugar free syrup and thought it was amazing. I woke my husband up insistent that he take a bite and he was 1) unamused that I woke him up to try food and 2) utterly disgusted at what I made him try after he took a bite. It still makes me laugh. I guess I don't make anything now that I consider odd.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    junestarrr wrote: »
    ...because lately I have been embarrassed by what I post in my public diary for dinner. I would be completely content with plain spaghetti sauce and cottage cheese over baked spaghetti squash every night. I wouldn't dare serve it to anybody though.. lol.

I refuse to cook diet food, I just cook food. I love roast, it's my favorite, with potatoes and veggies.
  • Rinkey78
    Rinkey78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My new favorite when I'm trying to add some more protein into my day: a can of tuna mixed w/ 1/2 cup of black beans. I did this just as an experiment and I loved it so much I now make it a frequent meal!

This sounds awesome!!!

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I eat any "diet" foods. I eat what I like and simply exercise portion control. I refuse to punish myself by eating foods I don't like simply to lose weight. I would be happy to share my meal with anyone with no apologies for the "diet" food.

So do I. But I do experiment with more low calorie foods and recipes out of curiosity (and so I can eat more high calorie items). Figured out I like roasted cauliflower that way. And spicy pork on a sweet potato. And crispy tofu in a sweet/spicy sauce. I used to hate tofu and cauliflower and wouldn't have thought spicy pork and sweet potato would be a winning pair.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    brandyosu wrote: »
    Several years ago I went on an extreme low carb diet (yes it worked, but I hated it). I was constantly on the lookout for recipes that could mimic things I had been used to eating. So, one day I found a recipe for pancakes made from pork rinds. I made a batch, doused them with butter and sugar free syrup and thought it was amazing. I woke my husband up insistent that he take a bite and he was 1) unamused that I woke him up to try food and 2) utterly disgusted at what I made him try after he took a bite. It still makes me laugh. I guess I don't make anything now that I consider odd.

This is the best one yet! Ha ha ha ha ha. Thanks for sharing
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    pgm012197 wrote: »
    cooked oatmeal with a poached egg on top

This is my favourite way to eat oatmeal. I add a spoonful of sambal oelek (spicy red chili paste from the same folks that make Sriracha) and some avocado, if I have it. Some leftover roasted vegetables, too, if I have any leftovers. OMG. This might be my dinner, my mouth is watering!

• vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I steam a half of a head of cauliflower and then put parmesean cheese and black pepper on it. I then eat the cauliflower with bites of 2 runny fried eggs with shredded cheddar cheese on top. The runny yolk is amazing with the cauliflower!

I also like putting strawberry whey powder on top of plain greek yogurt. Its creamy and powdery all at once

Everyone's ideas sound great! yum.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    vgnfarmer wrote: »
    I steam a half of a head of cauliflower and then put parmesean cheese and black pepper on it. I then eat the cauliflower with bites of 2 runny fried eggs with shredded cheddar cheese on top. The runny yolk is amazing with the cauliflower!

I also like putting strawberry whey powder on top of plain greek yogurt. Its creamy and powdery all at once

Everyone's ideas sound great! yum.

That kinda remind me of one of my favorite dishes - mashed potatoes with a fried egg (runny yolk) and deli ham.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, Francl
    Sometimes I mash up the cauliflower first