Keratosis pilaris - red blotchy skin on top of arms

Options
13»

Replies

• mrsdazy
    mrsdazy Posts: 1
    Options
    In January I decided to go gluten free for health reasons. Three weeks into it I realized my keratosis was going away. Also, some small patches of psoriasis were going away as well. I did give in to my old ways for about a month and sure enough, it came back. I'm gf again and back on the road to recovery. Obviously for me the foods I consumed were the culprit.
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ive had it for ages, legs/thighs and arms for me. i hate it as it just looks like im dead spotty :/
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Eucerin makes a lotion with uric acid. It helps a lot.

I always assumed it was genetic. My dad has it, I have it, and my daughter has it.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have it on the back of my arms and I'm 46 so it doesn't get better with age unfortunately. I picked up this new product from gold bond that claims it's for KP. Been using it for 3 weeks and the skin is definitely smoother less bumpy but I can still see the red spots. I will continue using it and hope for the best. I paid $9 for it at Target.

Here's what it claims to do:
    CLINICALLY TESTED & PROVEN EFFECTIVE:

• 90% experienced smoother, softer skin in just 1 week.

• 72% reduction in bumps/the appearance of Keratosis
    Pilaris (KP) in 4 weeks.

• 89% experienced consistently less bumpy & significantly
    softer skin in 4 weeks.

ph94yfmd77ar.jpg
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have it on my upper arms. When I asked my dermatologist she recommended exfoliation, moisturising and using a lotion with salicylic acid in it. I found that cheap skin toners (eg clean and clear) have that as an ingredient. After I shower I rub on some toner with a cotton ball. It's made a significant difference.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've had this ever since puberty and I have never been more than 5 lbs overweight. It lessened as I got older (I am 42 now) but never went away totally. I will have to try the coconut oil and retinol treatments.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    bewitched2 wrote: »
    Mine went away completely when I was vacationing in Asia for 1 month, but as soon as I returned back to North America, it came back within 2 weeks. I've asked several dermatologists why and they all said that it was the humidity there that did the trick. They also said that it is genetic and is very common. One dermatologist said something like 50% of people have it (although I'm not too sure if those figures are true). I'm going to give AmLactin a try.

@bewitched2 - I bet you were also eating differently when you were in Asia - more fish + more EFA.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I use a body scrub daily in the shower and moisturize every day after. This has really helped.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've got it all over my upper arms and I've tried creams, exfoliators, you name it and none of it worked. The only thing I've ever found that made it go away completely was getting a tattoo! I have a tattoo on my upper arm and weirdly it disappeared from the area I got the tattoo on and never came back.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Keeping the skin moisturized and exfoliated will go a long way to help. I moisturize at night and in the morning I use a lotion that has salicylic acid in it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    zombie thread lol.

I have KP. Mine is worse in the winter and I think it's due to not enough sunlight. I found using the Gold Bond Rough and bumpy skin lotion works really well. Keeping the skin moisturized in general helps a lot in the long run also.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have it all over my upper arms. Lived in a tropical country with smooth skin, moved to the UK and it shows up. Humidity clears it up, but short of moving back to said tropical country, I'm stuck with it. Lol. My GP told me to exfoliate and moisturise twice daily but I don't have the time nor the desire to do that for little result, so I just live with it. Lol.

I might try the salicylic acid toner. Rubbing it in after a shower doesn't seem too bad hahaha!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Eucerin Professional Repair lotion...available at Wal-Mart, Target, etc, has helped me a lot.

You MUST use sunscreen when out and about, though! The AHA component will lead you to sunburn very easily.
  • criscat
    criscat Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Very long hot BATHS every other day.
  • wintersyve
    wintersyve Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have had this on the tops of my arms and thighs all my life. Fromy early 20s I use a scrubbing sponge (the kind with a rough side) and then moisturise with anything I have to hand. Now my arms look nearly normal, they certainly don't bother me any more. My legs still have it a bit but not enough to bother me.
  • YogaSanity
    YogaSanity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Had it for almost 15 years. Taking cod liver oil helped, but it completely went away when I stopped eating cow's milk due to allergies. I eat goats or cheese milk once a week with no problem, but cow's milk made me sick. Once I stopped eating it it went away. After 15 years, at the age of 29. I always thought it could be monitored by diet, even when google refused to add to that theory.

I eat a lot of seafood and a lot of veggies. Quite a decent amount of legumes, nuts, seeds, grains, and fruit, and a smaller amount of various kinds of meat. I eat a lot of "healthy fats" (avocado, nuts, seeds, salmon, etc), which I really think has helped me (trying to eat low-fat before I quit dairy actually made my KP worse). I also drink a lot of water.

Not saying quitting dairy will help you, but you might want to watch how your stomach reacts to different types of food.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I developed it a few months ago after starting hormone replacement therapy. I use an exfoliating body wash and Amlactin and it has improved greatly. I also use a cocoa butter lotion on my hands and arms at least once a day while at work and it's completely undetectable on my arms now. I don't think there's a way to stop the keratin production. You just have to keep it from building up.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've had it since I was a teen, and I've been all sort of sizes. My 4 year old also has it.
    I find exfoliating in the shower and moisturizing regularly helps approve the appearance, but ultimately it's always there.