PCOS Buddies

Options
I am new to this site and wanted to say hi. I am Denise and I have PCOS. I am tired of it running my life so I am making a change. If you have PCOS and have any suggestions on how to lose some of this weight please let me know!

Replies

• vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed when I was 15 and never did anything to try and lose weight and just got bigger and bigger. Then at 34 I was diagnosed with diabetes and they put me on Metformin. I lost about 30lbs. from that. Then I switched to diet pop and whole wheat or multi grain pasta and bread and then I lost alot more. Watch your carbs and cut out as much sugar as you can also exercise at least 20-30 minutes a day and youll see a huge difference..Good luck!
  • GemUK84
    GemUK84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, i also have PCOS and was am a huge carb fan (i know the 2 really dont go well together) im trying slowly but surely to switch to wholemeal bread and am now thinking i should maybe switch to wholeweat pasta too? Did this make a big difference for you? And do you have any other suggestions of foods to avoid to help with the weight loss? Thanks Gem x
  • jortiz77
    jortiz77 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago when I was having trouble getting pregnant. Since being diagnosed, I have lost 100 lbs, got pregnant, put back on 75 lbs, got pregnant again. I now have 2 beautiful children but still 50 lbs to lose to get back to where I want to be. It is extremely a challenge for me to lose weight. I lost the 100 lbs by going through a program called Medical Weight Loss Clinic. It was very expensive but it worked as long as I stuck to the plan (which was a challenge). I am now working on getting the weight off myself and its working but VERY slowly. I've lost a total of 15 lbs in about 3 months. I was losing 10 lbs + when I did the Medical Weight Loss program. The best advise I can offer is to stick to it, drop the carb intake and enjoy high protein and a good mix of fruits, veggies, and at least 80 oz of water a day. I've also started jogging at least 4 days a week. I am determined to get this weight off, unfortunately, like you, its a struggle. Good luck!
  • vickyg1
    Options
    If you dont like whole wheat pasta theres a brand called Dreamfields that tastes like regular pasta and less carbs :) In my case the pop and bread and pasta change made a big difference because thats all I was drinking or eating. If you follow a diabetic diet you will lose :)
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have it too. Mine is not too severe though..thankfully! I do struggle with my weight. Especially around the middle. The lowest I was ever able to get was 130 on a 5'1 frame (as an adult) and that was barely eating anything all day, taking pills and working out hours upon hours. (It was a few years ago..not saying it was smart) I'd say the best advice is to accept the body and condition you were given. I know for me I have to watch what I eat 2-3x as much and I have to work out 2-3x harder and not get the same results. I had to change my mindset to health over looks. Sorry I couldn't be a bigger help, I mainly wanted to reach out and let you know there are others of us out there. My current weight is 150 and I'm trying to get to 140. I am also an endurance athlete so I question if the # will get too much lower with all the muscle I am carrying. (Just not around my middle darn-int)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am isulin resistant - I have my carbs but count calories carefully! so I have regular pasta..

then I started everything slowly....workouts were slow and built up...
    6months later and I am still not running and I am perfectly fine with that...
    as long as I draw a sweat and keep my heart rate up....

all is good in my world.

Pace yourself. We didnot put on the weight overnight and it will not come off overnight...But it will come off!!!:flowerforyou:
  • vickyg1
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/diabetic_diet/article.htm

This is an example but you can look for all different sites.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and hypothyroidism - double whammy! It is completely possible to lose weight though I do have to be a little more diligent. I lost 35 lbs. previously and was really happy with my weight. I have let it creep back up about 12 lbs. over the last year but that is completely my fault (not paying the tiniest bit of attention to what I was eating). Really track what you eat carefully and make sure to get lots of protein. You can do this!
  • kissandxmakeup
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am also new to this site! I installed this app on my phone in lieu of carrying around a bulky food journal. So far, I've been successful in making this a part of my everyday routine. I was really drawn to this thread because I too have PCOS. I struggle everyday with the awful side affects and am glad that there are people out there just like me! :) As for losing weight with PCOS, I've been watching my carbohydrate/sugar intake because PCOS has the unfortunate ability to turn everything we eat into SUGARS! :( I've been taking Vitex as a supplement to help with female issues and working out regularly. I must say that I've been hitting my 2 pounds a week goal, but I feel like I plateau much quicker than others do. Do any of you seem to notice this problem too?
  • Denise11161978
    Options
    I am a 32 year old mom and wife. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago although the doctors that I have had have not been able to explain all of the complications that go along with it. I am slowly finding out by doing my own research.
  • Denise11161978
    Options
    I am a 32 year old mom and wife. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago although the doctors that I have had have not been able to explain all of the complications that go along with it. I am slowly finding out by doing my own research.
  • Denise11161978
    Options
    The diabetic diet is what I was thinking and I have a diabetic cook book for when my father in law comes to visit. I will try that for sure!
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have PCOS as well. I find that I feel much better if I limit my carb intake. I am less bloated and have more energy. However, I must say I am totally in love with carbs so this is definitly hard. It does get better as time goes on though. I am currently on Metformin and I need to up my dose as I do not feel as though it is working as well as it should. Please feel free to friend me or ask me any questions if you would like. Good luck on your journey!
  • sunqween21
    sunqween21 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • pineappleartist
    pineappleartist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and insulin resistance, which doesn't go very well with my love of carbs :( I finally got my insulin levels down to normal, but the weight has just climbed. Glad to know that there are so many women on this site with the same problems as me! Good luck to all :)
  • Kickylanea
    Kickylanea Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well as hypothyroidism. The best thing I can say that works is persistance. When I am being vigilent and actively trying to lose weight, it comes off. It comes off slowly, but it does come off. My problem is in sticking with the program. I get bored really fast.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 15 years ago and the basics are what I try to stick to -- eating mostly whole foods, limiting the bad carbs, and regular exercise - this is what has worked for me over the years not just with losing weight but with how I feel (which I think is a huge part of PCOS.) I hit a wall on losing the weight gained in my last pregnancy (twins) that I never got off, so that's what brought me to MFP and I think this is a great place to keep track of what we're doing and get support :)
  • elsapm
    elsapm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies....I too have PCOS...diagnosed about 10-12 yrs ago. Been on and off Metformin (for IR), take spiro to regulate the androgens and STRUGGLE to lose any weight. I seem to have the best results following a low glycemic eating plan. It is REALLY hard b/c carbs (yep...the white ones) seem to be my favorite food. I have never been able to be ok w/the texture of whole wheat pasta, but dreamfields tastes just like "regular" pasta so that has been a great find.

Feel free to add me if you want support from a fellow cyster!
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and am new to the site. I was diagnosed when I was 18 years old. I have been on Metformeen, but at times I find myself craving sugar, so I have started and stopped taking it on and off for about 5 years. I do find that if I stick with someting diet wise the weight does come off, but i have to follow the program. Plus I have hypothyroidism as well which does add on to the struggles.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well as hypothyroidism. The best thing I can say that works is persistance. When I am being vigilent and actively trying to lose weight, it comes off. It comes off slowly, but it does come off. My problem is in sticking with the program. I get bored really fast.

Me too, me too, me too. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism, and can lose weight but it does take a lot of persistance. I am now working out with a trainer 3 x a week and that is keeping me motivated and accountable. It is also helping with the boredom because no two workouts are the same.