No Alcohol August

Options

Replies

• mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm still dry as a bone over here! Loving it, too! Even if I am trippin' a little bit...quitting my multiple whiskies a night has left me emotional. :s
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Day 1 here! Going great. I don't drink much, if at all during the week so it's been eady. My trigger is friday, sat, sundsy
  • Monarose
    Monarose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Monarose wrote: »
    Total fail. I did well all week. Then Totally caved into the stress of the weekend. Idk that I can do this with it around me all the time.

Hey, you did great! Better 1 or 2 nights than every night. One trick I use when I feel I'm drinking too much is to pour an 8 oz glass of water with each drink and drink the entire glass before I can have another drink. Your body can only handle so much liquid! Good luck this week.

Thank you. I'm on a 43 day streak of logging everything and totally fell apart this weekend. I feel like I'm also eating everything in sight. My general stress is through the roof really bringing me down. I just consciously didn't work out tonight. Didn't drink either though. Going to keep on trying.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Last evening was hard because we spent the day at the beach, and I used to ALWAYS have either cold beer or cold pinot grigio after a day at the beach. Yesterday I had water, and I am so proud of myself!! I am craving a lot less now, but certain triggers, like the beach, still make me crave.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Total fail. I did well all week. Then Totally caved into the stress of the weekend. Idk that I can do this with it around me all the time.

Hey, you did great! Better 1 or 2 nights than every night. One trick I use when I feel I'm drinking too much is to pour an 8 oz glass of water with each drink and drink the entire glass before I can have another drink. Your body can only handle so much liquid! Good luck this week.

Thank you. I'm on a 43 day streak of logging everything and totally fell apart this weekend. I feel like I'm also eating everything in sight. My general stress is through the roof really bringing me down. I just consciously didn't work out tonight. Didn't drink either though. Going to keep on trying.

Could it be hormonal? We women have a lot more to deal with than we give consideration to. Glad you made it through the day. Hopefully things will start looking up soon.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Starting day 11 with No Alcohol. While I'm very pleased with myself, it's not a whole lot of fun. It's funny how we can feel that we won't be able to have a good time without a few drinks.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been alcohol free since August 3, as part of my Whole30. Feeling really well, although I did dream about ordering wine at a bar last night and they were all out and I was sad...haha!
  • Kristyg34
    Kristyg34 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for 7 weeks and it h a s m a de such a difference. I am a vodka cranberry girl. Absolute.
  • Brooke1076
    Brooke1076 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So I have to fess up that about 4 days this month so far I have slipped up. I feel so gross :(

I am going to make myself more accountable by posting my status at the end of the night that I didn't drink that day!! I am going to try to go through and get you all added as friends. Any other ideas on how to stay accountable? I need hobbies!! I downloaded a couple books!!

How is everyone else plugging along? It looks like you are doing good! I definitely want to roll this over into September! Stay Dry September!

What is the difference between a group and a message thread? Would it be easier to make a group?

Aug 2 - .5
    Aug 9 - .5
    Aug 16 -
    Aug 23 -
    Aug 30 -
  • SandiRemedios
    SandiRemedios Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, still AF although I haven't been posting a lot. I bought 12 cans of President's Choice Blonde Beer (no alcohol) for those times when I felt I was about to cave. I find them helpful. The last one is in the freezer right now, as I just got back from walking 8 km on a pretty warm day. I have had 4 cups of water so far since I got back in the house. I MUST learn to carry water with me when doing stuff like that.
    I hope everyone is having a good day.
    If you decide to form a group, I'm in. Although, I too don't know the difference between a group and a thread.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with how I want to move forward. I know that I don't want to completely cut out alcohol for good, but I also know that I'm terrible at moderating. There are certain scenarios when I trust myself to moderate - for instance when I meet up with a friend for dinner. I know I have to drive home so I'll have one glass and then call it good. But if I'm at home or somewhere where driving isn't an issue, then most attempts at moderating are failures.

I also like the mindset of only drinking "for a reason." Not just because it's the weekend but because there is something special going on (vacation, a wedding, birthday, etc.) Then I realize that I have things going on every week. In the next 3 weeks alone I have friends coming into town, a music festival, and a wedding reception.

Sorry for the long post. Basically I'm debating a lot in how I want alcohol to fit into my life style. More to come, I'm sure.

@Brooke1076 - I've been walking a lot and that's really been helping. I like to go for walks after dinner to take my mind off of having a drink. That, and I've become a coffee fiend. I bought a bunch of decaf for the evenings and I've replaced my nightly wine with coffee instead. Surprisingly, I really look forward to it and after a while the nightly wine cravings went away.
  • Brooke1076
    Options
    @MyWhole30Journey you are such an inspiration in here!

I am thinking about helping myself stay accountable by opening up my diary. But I really don't want to. If anyone looks PLEASE don't judge. I am going to add the alcohol I had last night on top of my taco bell! GROSS!!! BUT I am going to log every day now and since my diary will be public, I might be more embarrassed to have to add alcohol so that will make it easier to not drink... that's right, shame myself into not drinking!!
  • Brooke1076
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved I hear you.... the problem is that now....I make an excuse for there ALWAYS to be a reason! I find the smallest reasons to "celebrate". Had a good day at work? Celebrate! Saved money while shopping? Celebrate!! Got a raise? Celebrate! Ect... I usually walk the dog as soon as I get home but now I am thinking of delaying it a little bit more into the evening to give me something to do as the night goes on. Ugh I sound like such a lush!! Do you find the drinking stalls your weight loss?
  • Brooke1076
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ok I think I got all my invites out to you! If I missed you, please send me one! Sorry if I sent an invite twice!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Brooke1076 wrote: »
    @Somebody_Loved I hear you.... the problem is that now....I make an excuse for there ALWAYS to be a reason! I find the smallest reasons to "celebrate". Had a good day at work? Celebrate! Saved money while shopping? Celebrate!! Got a raise? Celebrate! Ect... I usually walk the dog as soon as I get home but now I am thinking of delaying it a little bit more into the evening to give me something to do as the night goes on. Ugh I sound like such a lush!! Do you find the drinking stalls your weight loss?

Ha, I totally hear you, I do the exact same thing. There is always a reason to celebrate in my mind. And you don't sound like a lush - before I started trying to cut back, I was a very heavy drinker. Multiple nights a week, multiple drinks those nights.

Yep - that was my main motivation when I went dry in July. I had been trying to lose weight for months and was basically just maintaining my weight. I would be good Sun-Thurs and then obliterate any progress I made during the week with drinking Friday-Saturday. I realized I was having thousands of calories in alcohol alone some weeks (plus the subsequent food choices.) I dropped 6 pounds in July by going dry.
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I dropped several lbs by going dry in January! It really does help about week two for me. And yes, always a reason to drink!! I'm on day 2. Ha, soon to be day 3. Feeling good
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I've made it through another day and evening. I look less puffy if that makes sense. My dh commented on how nice I look and he doesn't even know I've gone dry. I didn't tell anyone here.. Just quietly not drinking.
  • ThysbeEverbloom
    ThysbeEverbloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do it quietly as well - only my bf knows - and he is still not sure on how to suppport me because he loves to drink - but I just told him that it is about me and my body and i am not judging what he is doing or expecting he changes as well - we dont live together though - thats makes it easier i think

@Brook: Drinking definitely stalls your progress - and i would say its nearly impossible to stay within you daily limit if you are not a per se moderate drinker.

and dont be ashamed of what you log, I think some of us here can really understand and had times of their own when it was like that.
  • SandiRemedios
    SandiRemedios Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All, another day another dollar. Still AF and feeling good about it. Hope everyone has a productive day.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Brooke1076 wrote: »
    So I have to fess up that about 4 days this month so far I have slipped up. I feel so gross :(

I am going to make myself more accountable by posting my status at the end of the night that I didn't drink that day!! I am going to try to go through and get you all added as friends. Any other ideas on how to stay accountable? I need hobbies!! I downloaded a couple books!!

How is everyone else plugging along? It looks like you are doing good! I definitely want to roll this over into September! Stay Dry September!

What is the difference between a group and a message thread? Would it be easier to make a group?

Aug 2 - .5
    Aug 9 - .5
    Aug 16 -
    Aug 23 -
    Aug 30 -

A group makes it easier to find ut generally there is no communication, just logging statistics. I like the thread here where we can all communicate. :)