Nurse with plantar fasciitis. Help?

Options
Does anyone know of anything that can help relieve the pain of plantar fasciitis without the near constant stretching and icing? Could barely get to sit down on a shift. I'm always limping around the minute I get out of bed until I get back to bed.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies

• nsgmom04
    nsgmom04 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My husband (a mechanic) went to the podiatrist. The doctor recommended some shoe inserts which my husband said really helped.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I think Profoot PF insoles are pretty darn awesome (and for $7, why not give them a shot?) You can buy them at most drug stores/general purpose stores, or on Amazon.

Other things to try are more supportive shoes in general.

You can also sleep with a night splint to stretch out your feet/calves *overnight*. It might help you go into each day a little fresher. The splints or braces take some getting used to, but they help a lot of people who are able to stick with them. Some options here:
    Strassburg sock 1
    Strassburg sock 2
    Back of leg brace
    Front of leg brace
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Finding a massage therapist with solid knowledge on trigger point therapy and myofascial releases techniques would help. Clair Davies wrote a book called "Trigger Point Therapy Workbook " that does an excellent job describing self care techniques for all sorts of pain issues. Hope you can find some relief!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Make sure you stretch before you get out of bed, this has helped me a lot. Invest in a good pair of shoes as well.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Stretch and rest helps with mine. I get a flare up if I fall back into old habits and don't stretch. Not just stretching through the feet, my calves, hamstrings and archilles get super tight sometimes and it makes the pain in my feet worse.

I know that sounds impossible as a nurse - and it probably is.

See a podiatrist. Off the shelf inserts might work for you and help, otherwise you might need custom made orthotics. A costly option, but last longer. The way my feet roll I can destroy an off the shelf pair in a few months, my custom made orthotics last 3-4 years. My podiatrist also did some dry needling on my locked calf muscles. It is like acupuncture, but she wasn't aiming for nerves/pressure points. The needle goes into the muscle and "resets" it - I was amazed at the instant relief as mu muscles loosened up instantly as the needle hit the right spot. I could have stretched my calves for months to get the same result.

If you do have any time off soon, you need to spend time on the couch properly resting it in conjunction with icing and stretching.

Sorry - it is a horrible thing to have to deal with - hope you are feeling better soon.
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hmm...been putting off going to the podiatrist or GP but maybe I should. Been treating it myself with stretching and icing on my days off lol. It's not too bad when I'm walking and I do use supportive shoes but the minute I stop walking and then resume again, I'll have a noticeable limp until everything stretches out again. It's frustrating!

I've sort of accepted that I'll have to deal with this forever haha. Is there a cure? I've not done a lot of research and just sort of fallen into treating the symptoms and not the underlying cause, except trying to lose weight, of course. If I go to my local GP or podiatrist, I might try those braces. They look effective, though not very sexy. Lol.
  • musthavescentscanada
    Options
    Braces ARE sexy. Just like compression stockings. ;)
    Lol
    Seriously though, ice, stretch, rest. Repeat. I had flare up of it a few times...I did some yoga stretches with my feet and it helped really stretch the toes/balls, which seemed to be my "trigger" for relief. Ibuprofen to reduce aches and swelling a bit. (If your doc gives the ok) and podiatrist is a good idea if you can get in.
    Hugs...been there. Maybe your coworkers will take sympathy on you and give you assignments closest to the nursing station. ;)
    Lol
    Rach
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Take care of yourself and your feet. I have a nurse in my family with the same issue. She can't work and needs surgery
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch!!!!!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    The BF just went to podiatrist today and was diagnosed with this. He got a cortisone shot, prescription anti-inflammatories and insoles from the doctor his work shoes. Get it treated and then do your best to keep up with the at-home treatment. Don't let it go, it will only get worse.

You're a nurse-you know better!!! :wink:
  • mystgrl1604
    Options
    Maybe your coworkers will take sympathy on you and give you assignments closest to the nursing station. ;)

Hahaha. No such luck. Plus the heaviest patients are the ones nearest the station and I don't really want to have all my assignments to be bedbound. Lol.

What kind of stretches are you guys doing? I've been stretching my arches first thing in the morning (by pulling my toes up towards my shins) before getting up else I won't be able to walk to the bathroom at all, but otherwise that's it. Plus ice when it gets really bad.
  • mystgrl1604
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Healthcare professionals are knows to be the worst patients. Sad fact. Hahahahaha.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of anything that can help relieve the pain of plantar fasciitis without the near constant stretching and icing? Could barely get to sit down on a shift. I'm always limping around the minute I get out of bed until I get back to bed.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    I was issued some arch supports which helped, and I roll my foot over a tennis ball while watching TV and such.
    That helps too.

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Healthcare professionals are knows to be the worst patients. Sad fact. Hahahahaha.

Girl, you know you need to take care of yourself! :smiley: Give yourself the care you give your patients.
  • nancydrew1964
    nancydrew1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ortho heel brand shoes. Don't go barefoot. Keep up the stretching and icing.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Maybe your coworkers will take sympathy on you and give you assignments closest to the nursing station. ;)

Hahaha. No such luck. Plus the heaviest patients are the ones nearest the station and I don't really want to have all my assignments to be bedbound. Lol.

What kind of stretches are you guys doing? I've been stretching my arches first thing in the morning (by pulling my toes up towards my shins) before getting up else I won't be able to walk to the bathroom at all, but otherwise that's it. Plus ice when it gets really bad.

This stretch/massage is painful but helpful. Sit with one leg folded across the other. Use one hand to pull back your toes. Use the other to massage your arch. You can call in the aid of a spiky massage ball if you want--I do. You can also roll the ball under your foot as you sit. Or roll a frozen water bottle.

ETA: In bed, I'd suggest modifying the stretch you already do to stretch your calf muscle, too (tight calf tightens the plantar fascia). Loop a hand towel or rope or something around the bottom of your foot and give it a nice stretch like so. (I did this while lying on my back, FYI).

You should also work on *strengthening* your calf muscle and plantar fascia. For your calf, do calf raises and heel drops (off a stair). For the PF themselves, there are a couple options. I like picking up and putting down objects with my toes--a towel, the massage ball. Some people like to trace the alphabet on the ground or in the air with their toes.
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm a nurse and had this in both feet a few years ago so I know your pain. I ended up having to get steroid shots as the home remedies weren't enough. The shots worked wonders and I've been able to maintain by stretching , icing, and the occasional naprosyn for pain control. The tennis ball works great too. The shots were a little uncomfortable but I literally limped in in severe pain and walked out of the office with barely a twinge of pain to work a 10 hour shift running up and down the halls of the hospital.
  • lazyf1gers75
    lazyf1gers75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had this last year for such a long time. I know how excruciating it is ... I had steroid injection in heels and literally the next day it was gone miracle!!! This year I felt a flare up on holiday so got some strong painkiller with anti inflammatory and some cold gel as couldn't get to doc and that worked pretty brilliantly and by time I got home symptoms had gone... The steroid injection does hurt a bit but only for couple of seconds.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Is there a cure? I've not done a lot of research and just sort of fallen into treating the symptoms and not the underlying cause

The underlying cause is usually arch degeneration (according to studies) which is usually from wearing shoes that are overly supportive and/or from not walking enough. Arches, being avascular, require regular movement to stay healthy, but the rigid insoles of most shoes reduces the amount of movement the arch gets. So try to do your arch stretch as often as possible throughout the day, and also wear a Strassburg Sock, to stretch it while you sleep. If you can walk pain-free in shoes with a more flexible sole, like skateboard shoes, that will speed recovery. I used to have PF, and now i can run barefoot. :+1:
  • tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Google the stretches for plantar fascia. They are the same that my podiatrist told me to do. Then I went to a site store that evals how you walk. I am in a Brooks sneaker and can tell you my passion is finally relief. Not totally gone but getting there. I've had severe plantar fascia for over a year and half. Best of luck.