Cheapest healthy meals

Options
I'm trying to lower my grocery bill. What's your fave cheap healthy meal idea?

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The cheapest healthy meal I make is a slow cooked vegetable curry. Vegetables, legumes (e.g. lentils or chickpeas), some curry paste or dry spices into the crock pot along with some tinned tomatoes and/or coconut milk. Makes 8+ serves, super healthy and only costs a few dollars.

I stretch everything with legumes and vegetables, minimize the portions of meat. Even something like bolognese - I add cups of grated carrot, grated zucchini, chopped mushrooms, celery etc. I rely a lot on the crock pot - it makes cheap cuts of meal delicious. Plus bulking everything out with vegetables means that I can still eat larger serves without the calories getting out of control.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Frozen veggies. Many grocery stores sell bags of frozen chicken breasts pretty cheaply.

Frozen fruits are okay, but unless I'm mixing them with other stuff, I generally prefer fresh and canned to frozen. Still, they're cheaper and do mix well with other things!

Dried peas and beans are cheaper and home-made is so much better and healthier than canned.

If you have the time, you can make your own stock and save a lot on that!

Almost everything is cheaper when you make it yourself. :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, oatmeal. For lunch and dinner I love beans--and they're so versatile! A serving of beans and a fresh or frozen veggie is a good start for an inexpensive meal. I also make a lot of soup (even in summer) with slightly bruised and discounted veggies.

I always buy whole chickens rather than just breasts or cut up pieces. It's less expensive per pound, and I can save the bones and skin to make my own [skimmed and thus fat-free] homemade stock.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sauteed cabbage is my favourite side-dish. You can find it cheap in the "slightly bruised" produce section too, though it's usually fairly inexpensive ($2-3 for a whole head). Slice it thinly, put it in a pot with a splash of water, some seasonings (salt, pepper, a dash of Worcestershire sauce) and 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar and let it cook down on low heat. Stir it a few times to make sure the bottom doesn't stick. It's a really filling side-dish for very low calories. You can add some ground turkey or beef to make it into a quick meal.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Rachael Rays vegetable chili- a couple fresh peppers, 1 onion, 1 can black beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can retried beans, 1 can crushed tomatoes. Then you have to add some seasonings. Very easy to make, offers quite a few servings, fairly healthy, and cheap.

I also really like eggs. They are a bit pricey currently but still a cheap protein.
    Chicken
    Thighs or drumsticks (skinless)- I know they are not the healthiest but I buy these and bake them.
    Whole chickens- when they are on sale I'll buy a couple and bake them up.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Shop sales for meat. If it's a really good price, buy double and freeze. Chicken thighs are cheaper than breasts, and whole chickens are cheapest per lb. Make a strong stock with the carcas, and you can make countless soups and purees. E.g today I had cauliflower soup with smoked chicken. I have cabbage soup for lunch many times a week. I'll add lentils if I need fiber or meat left over from the night before. It's great with andouille (a little adds tons of flavor) and meatballs (I make w chicken). Sometimes I season with ginger, garlic, lime zest and soy, and sometimes with cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. Sounds repetitive but there're so many ways to add variety. Meryl, cabbage is $1.20/head where I shop!

Like several commenters above, I depend heavily on legumes. They're delicious and filling, loaded with fiber, decent protein, cheap, and have long shelf life. And eggs. They were $1.8/doz last week, double the price 1-1/2 years ago but still great protein cheap, incredibly versatile. Bon apetit!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    for breakfast oatmeal
    for lunch rice+beans+protein (pick your meat) + frozen veggies
    for dinner tuna

eggs used to be a life saver but now they are kind expensive so I don't consume them as much*