I have lost nothing!

Options
I started doing this about a month ago. For the first 2 weeks not only did I eat under my goal, I worked out 3 days a week, and most days I didn't even eat the extra calories that the work out gave me. I drank 5-9 glasses of water a day. I tried being more active at work. I was eating more veggies and healthy food. Then the third week, I didn't work our or drink as much water, but I was working on a play back stage and I am sure I burned calories doing that. I also stopped drinking soda except for 2-3 glasses a week which is good for me since I normally drink that much in a day. I wasn't discouraged the first 2 weeks when I hadn't lost any weight, but as of a week ago I have actually gained 3 pounds! I am still eating right this week, but I haven't put much into fitness pal because I feel like it made no difference. My weight is the same this week as last. I made an appointment with my doctor to get my thyroid checked because alt year I was working out 5-6 days a week and eating better, but not as good as now and I only lost 20 pounds in 6 months. If it's not my thyroid, I don't know what to do. I told myself I wouldn't get discouraged just because I didn't lose, but gaining after a month just doesn't feel right to me.

Replies

• jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary for people to lok at and they may be able to help you.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a minimum of 1200 net calories a day?
  • panda0920
    panda0920 Posts: 29
    Options
    Unless your thyroid is needing medication, that could be a cause. But if it is medicated properly, then it shouldn't be interfering. I've been on Metformin for ten years now, and it really doesn't help or go against my weight.

But it may be that you're eating too much under your goal? Then you're losing more with your workouts, your body may be receiving some weird signals. Keep in mind, fat burning mode takes a huge amount of energy for your body to be in. It's never as simple as eat less and better and workout. Sadly, our bodies tend to work against us.

But, aside from thyroid, I would also have your hormones checked, in general. There can be causes within hormone glands that hurt your progress. And aside from calorie counting, are you watching sugar, sodium, fat, etc. intake? If not, that could be the very root of your problem. I wish you the best of luck! And don't give up, even when the going seems impossible.
  • cgunter71
    cgunter71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One of the main thins is to not only look at your calories, but look at your sodium, carbs, and sugar intake. Those have a HUGE impact on weight loss. For instance, a can of soda might only have 150 calories, but if I'm not mistaken has about 40 grams of sugar, so 2 sodas puts you over your daily limit for sugar intake *in my case at least.* I think a lot of it also has to do with how many meals you're eating. If you don't eat at least 3 meals in a day you're gonna be screwed too. I've been going strong for a week, I work outside and install appliances, and have walked at least 2 miles a day for that week, and lost 13 pounds so far. I know that's not really "healthy" but I can't help it, I'm eating 3 meals a day, small meals, but good meals, and excercising. Just remember you can do it, you just have to make sure you're doing everything the right way.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would look at your goal also and make sure you have it set to lose. You didn't say how tall you are or what you weigh either. If you are close to your goal you should change settings to lose 1/2 lb per week.
  • kathrynthomas5
    Options
    Are your clothes fitting better? You have probably lost inches.
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    It sucks sucks sucks to not lose anything for awhile, I know it! Just . . . stay consistent. That's the best advice I can give you. And log EVERY SINGLE THING that you eat into the website. I don't know about you, but I'm anal AND addicted to the internet (no, for real!) so this website makes me a little bit excited, lol. Good luck! Add me as a friend if you want, we can do this together!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It would help to open up your diary. You may need to eat back your exercise calories. You could be eating too much sodium and sugar. It also helps tremendously to put everything that goes into your mouth on your diary. A teaspoon here and there really adds up and there is hidden sodium in so many things, especially processed foods.
  • Heifort1
    Heifort1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you're not putting in enough calories and exercising, you may actually GAIN weight. Your body will go into starvation mode, slowing down your weight loss and holding onto all those calories. At least eat your set calories each day and don't go under that 1200 calorie mark. If you're set at 1500 cals/day and exercise 400 (net of 1100 cals remaining), you may need to add an additional 100 cals to get up to that 1200 cals net - the safe zone.

And, it wouldn't hurt to double check with your doc on what you're doing and how your body's NOT responding. Don't give up! Eating better and exercising is sure to give you better outcomes than ignoring it all together. You (and your body!) will figure out the rest, with some help.
  • Sprinkie09
    Sprinkie09 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It could be different things...
    1st, you could have gained muscle, which looks like extra pounds on the scale, but could have actually lost inches in some areas.
    Could also be like some mentioned sodium, sugar, fats intake...
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I started doing this about a month ago. For the first 2 weeks not only did I eat under my goal, I worked out 3 days a week, and most days I didn't even eat the extra calories that the work out gave me. I drank 5-9 glasses of water a day. I tried being more active at work. I was eating more veggies and healthy food. Then the third week, I didn't work our or drink as much water, but I was working on a play back stage and I am sure I burned calories doing that. I also stopped drinking soda except for 2-3 glasses a week which is good for me since I normally drink that much in a day. I wasn't discouraged the first 2 weeks when I hadn't lost any weight, but as of a week ago I have actually gained 3 pounds! I am still eating right this week, but I haven't put much into fitness pal because I feel like it made no difference. My weight is the same this week as last. I made an appointment with my doctor to get my thyroid checked because alt year I was working out 5-6 days a week and eating better, but not as good as now and I only lost 20 pounds in 6 months. If it's not my thyroid, I don't know what to do. I told myself I wouldn't get discouraged just because I didn't lose, but gaining after a month just doesn't feel right to me.
    It's certainly possible you're simply not eating enough to fuel your body for workouts. That can stall your weighloss because your body can sometimes hang onto the weight unsure if it'll get any more fuel. We've always been taught to eat less to lose but it's important we eat enough of the healthy food to keep our bodies fueled and running smoothly.

Whatever MFP gave you as a calorie goal per day, consider eating that amount and include your workout cals and see how that works for you. This is NOT MFP not working, this is something within your control (unless of course it is your thyroid, which hopefully it isn't) so a few tweaks and you should be good to go and losing the lbs. :happy:

Continue experimenting a bit and see what your body needs to drop the lbs., maybe a change in workouts? More water perhaps? More fiber? Less processed foods? I didn't take a look to see if you have an open diary so I'm simply tossing ideas out for you to try.

To give yourself incentive and keep yourself excited and positive about the whole experience keep checking the Success threads on here.. that can really help when things are tough. :wink: :flowerforyou: