I am so scared...

Options

Replies

• mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was overweight all my life (except when I was two years old, all other ages was overweight, in my later years even obese). I've now been at a healthy weight for about two years of using mfp. It has not been difficult to keep it off.

I know now I'm in control over my body. I also learnt that gaining weight (back) is not the end of the world, you took it of once, you can do it again. Don't let fear of gaining weight (back) prevent you from accomplishing your goals. Definitely don't use it as an excuse to prevent you from continuing, and feeling physically ánd mentally healthier and fitter.

I had a point of fear like this when I got close to 80 kilograms - I 'subconsciously' knew that for me, when I got past that number, there would be no turning back. That meant no going back to the old, chubby, much more insecure me that I knew for 25 years, felt comfortable with, and loved (even though I was lighter than 80 kg most of those years). I'm not sure if something like this may be at the root of your fear - but let me emphasize what I found when I continued on past 80 kg: you will not lose yourself when you lose the weight. You will just feel better about yourself, and be able to do more things.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mimieon wrote: »
    I had a point of fear like this when I got close to 80 kilograms - I 'subconsciously' knew that for me, when I got past that number, there would be no turning back. That meant no going back to the old, chubby, much more insecure me that I knew for 25 years, felt comfortable with, and loved (even though I was lighter than 80 kg most of those years). I'm not sure if something like this may be at the root of your fear - but let me emphasize what I found when I continued on past 80 kg: you will not lose yourself when you lose the weight. You will just feel better about yourself, and be able to do more things.

What I'm trying to say is that it is not your body that will try to get you back to an unhealthy weight. Our mind may try to get us back to that place though, because overweight is what we've known all our life, and has been our comfort zone. New things are scary. Getting used to the new you mentally takes a lot of time. I still find I get surprised when I look in 'new' mirrors I'm not familiar with, or sometimes when I look at my arm and think "is that my arm? why is it so small".
  • Auggiesgirl
    Auggiesgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When we lose the weight we feel good, look good and we're too busy enjoying the moment. We forget that we now have to have a healthy lifestyle otherwise the weight will creep back on. Also if we are having a stressful time, either at work, with family or having major work done on your house, the last thing we think of is living healthy (eating right & exercising). I am now committing to get back on track, lose all the weight I gained back. I want to have my energy back, be healthier and bonus is looking good too.
  • jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got down to my goal weight once before while I was working a very active job and also doing fairly intense workouts in the gym. I wasn't paying much attention to what I ate; it wasn't awful, but I did eat fast food fairly often. I then moved and switched to a sedentary job, and continued not paying attention to what I was eating. I got back up to my heaviest plus a few pounds (185). I knew I was gaining of course, but I think I was in denial about how bad it was. Anyways, re-gaining is just not an option for me this time. I know I need to plan for maintenance and will certainly will be using this site as a resource when that time comes.
  • angeliebeh
    angeliebeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The key is to do more strength training. The more muscle you have the easier it'll be to maintain. As you will burn a lot of calories passively.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    angeliebeh wrote: »
    The key is to do more strength training. The more muscle you have the easier it'll be to maintain. As you will burn a lot of calories passively.
    You'll burn very few extra calories because of additional muscle.

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Once you get to your goal weight OP, just stick to your maintenance calories (along with logging your food), do some kind of exercise at least 3 times a week and you should be fine.
    I would definitely gain weight eating at my maintenance calories i'm on now and not doing any exercise.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Once you get to your goal weight OP, just stick to your maintenance calories (along with logging your food), do some kind of exercise 3-4 times a week and you should be fine.
    I would definitely gain weight eating at my maintenance calories i'm on now and not doing any exercise.
    Everyone eating at a maintenance level that includes exercise would gain weight at that calorie level if they stopped exercising.

OP, whether someone else fails, or succeeds, doesn't mean you will fail, or succeed. If you don't eat more than you burn, you won't gain weight. It's as simple as that. It may not be easy, but it is simple to understand. Your body doesn't sabotage you, but you can sabotage your body.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Interesting point-of-view. At 35% BF I have a TDEE of around 300 calories less to consume then at 25% BF and at the same weight. 300 calorie a day difference seems more then 'very few extra calories'.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I to have been overweight my whole adult life. I see a social worker. She specializes in weight loss (yes,they exist!) she lost and kept off over 200lbs over the past 20yrs.

One thing she said that changed my outlook on weightloss, and why I think that I will be ultimately successful, is to treat the process the same way an alcoholic treats getting sober.

Basically everyday is work. You HAVE to keep on top of it for the rest of your life. She's logged food for 20years. I'm only at 6mo but I now know that this is something I'll probably need to do forever.

Does it suck? yep. Is it fair? nope. Will I slip up? Absolutely, but long term I think it's what will give me success.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I had a good long think about this topic yesterday. I'm 43, and in my teen-through adult life I've ranged from quite thin to a bit chunky. I've lost over 30 pounds twice in my life through exercise and food control. (Not counting calories, but just "watching it.") And then a LOT of other times I've taken off 5 or 10 pounds and then gained back 10 or 5. And then a little more...

When I look back at the times where I was at a healthy BMI and maintaining, what was the trick?

It was getting regular exercise. I am naturally lazy, so this is big for me to admit! Sure I can lose weight by counting calories alone. And I have done, over and over and over! But it's the exercise habit that kept ME going in those glorious times of thinhood. It gave me energy, confidence and motivation to eat better, drink less alcohol, etc.

I'm crossing my fingers that this time it sticks. It sounds sad that I can't fully commit, but it's the hard truth... It's all up to me! I have to find it within myself to form habits that I keep forever.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Don't worry with something that has not happened yet and that might not happen.vfocus your time energy and thoughts on reaching you goal. While reaching your goal you will acquire the tools or skill set to maintain your goal If you do this properly meaning you found a sustainable lifestyle
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jokoh92 wrote: »
    I have been reading up on some articles that say the likelihood of regaining weight is greater than keeping it off long term, especially for those who have always been overweight or obese.

I can't imagine getting down to my goal weight only to regain most of it back. I think that would kill me.

According to some sources, most people who have kept the weight loss off for a significant amount of years was either once small or fit to begin with.

I have never been small, even at 3 I was chubby. So its like will my body just eventually go back to being what it knows best?

I plan to keep weighing myself & logging food for years. I know I'm going to have to work at it for the rest of my life at this point.
    I think it will take effort to keep at a certain weight just like it does to lose weight.
    One thing that seems to me to be common to people about regaining is that they stop monitoring their weight regularly and go back to eating more than they burn.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I resent that kind of studies. They are not helpful for people who need to be inspired, not told they are most likely to fail, and they do not take into account what the subjects may have done to maintain or regain weight. I really don't understand what they are good for. They show that we as a population are gaining weight, but we already knew that.

The good thing is that the body doesn't want or remember a particular weight - but habits are hard indeed to break. Once we get down to a comfortable weight, it's easy to forget what brought us there, and that we need to do the same to stay there. And most of us who had to lose weight, like to eat, and it's easy to overeat if we aren't careful.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Interesting point-of-view. At 35% BF I have a TDEE of around 300 calories less to consume then at 25% BF and at the same weight. 300 calorie a day difference seems more then 'very few extra calories'.
    It's not a point of view. It's a fact.

Muscle burns somewhere around six calories per pound per day. Fat around two. If you put on 20 pounds of muscle, you're burning an 120 extra calories a day. If you put on 20 pounds of muscle and lose 10 pounds of fat, you're burning around 100 extra calories a day.

And adding 20 pounds of muscle is non-trivial for a male and very difficult indeed for a woman.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I to have been overweight my whole adult life. I see a social worker. She specializes in weight loss (yes,they exist!) she lost and kept off over 200lbs over the past 20yrs.

One thing she said that changed my outlook on weightloss, and why I think that I will be ultimately successful, is to treat the process the same way an alcoholic treats getting sober.

Basically everyday is work. You HAVE to keep on top of it for the rest of your life. She's logged food for 20years. I'm only at 6mo but I now know that this is something I'll probably need to do forever.

Does it suck? yep. Is it fair? nope. Will I slip up? Absolutely, but long term I think it's what will give me success.

This.

Basically, you have to realize that once you start the weight loss process, it's going to be your life from now on. You'll never be able to eat like you used to again. I've been maintaining for a year and it's still a struggle every day.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I think we need to deal with it as an eating disorder, lets face it we know we over eat. Sometimes for comfort, sometimes because the food just tastes so good, but we know we overeat, therefore we cannot trust ourself once we get to goal to keep on track without supervision. We need some accountability, which an app such as MFP offers. We all know that it is not going to be easy to loose the weight, and even harder to keep it off, as we might relax our habits a bit and there comes the slippery slope and the pounds comes back on again.

I think we all need a plan for what to do once we have reached goal (apart from the massive shopping trip) How will we keep it off? Tracking, exercise, a mix? Without a plan and sticking to it, I do think the majority will be putting a considerable amount of weight back on again. A lot of us have been overweight for the majority of our lives, being slim and fit will be a new experience, fun yes, but new to us.

So for me, I am not treating this like a diet, this is a lifestyle, I treat myself, I go out, I do not deprive myself, I work my butt off in the gym, eat healthily most of the time and have made new habits, such as walking a lot and cycling instead of taking the bus/public transport. I think it is all about making long term plans and starting to incorporate them now and making them part of your lifestyle, so when maintenance comes you have your base already in place.

My gym work consists of a lot of weight work and some cardio as I want to build muscles and tone up. If you compare 1 lb of fat to 1 lb of muscle it is like comparing a grape to a raisin size wise.
  • Holmesfamily26037
    Holmesfamily26037 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Depends on you! The reason your wanting the weight loss..temporary for reunion or a fad etc or is it a true life change for you? I have seen people use the "quick" weight loss methods and programs like WW, Jenny Craig and the thousand more out there! They usually gain the weight back because those programs are not setup for long term use. Long term weight loss comes from your choice and lifestyle! Hardwork, dedication, healthy eating choices, willpower, mental motivation....YOU HAVE TO WANT IT FOR YOU! After a while it becomes who u are which makes it your life style change..
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

I don't wade into these threads often, but I'm feeling compelled to note that this is exactly the realization I've come to - for myself (important delineation) - and it has actually taken some of the fear of regaining away. Once I realized that I needed to frame it this way, it was like a pressure valve released because I suddenly realized what I needed to do. It helped explain a lot of my past behavior and much of the internal dialogue that I still wrangle with. It's different for everyone of course, but for me this is the mindset that has kind of pulled back the curtain.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight about 7yrs ago (100lbs roughly). I distinctly remember laying in bed one morning and admiring my slim tummy and saying to myself "No way am I ever getting fat again". Well... I got fat again. :( In some ways I think that people get complacent and it's not until you have regained weight that you realise that you approached it the wrong way.

The fact you are considering this now is great!

I also think exercise is key. When you lose weight exercise is easier and more enjoyable and unless you want to count calories forever, then it's a good way to control weight.

This time, once I get to goal, I will give myself an upper weight limit or fat % to stick to.. maybe 7lbs, or 1% body fat.. I will weigh myself every day like I already do now and track it.. if it gets to my upper limit then I have to "diet".