Total confusion about nutrition

Options
Hello all,

I am really looking for some clear advice on what is considered a nutritionally balanced diet.
NHS site says we need a diet of more fresh fruit and vegetables, carbs and starchy foods, with a small amount of proteins, fat and sugary foods, and dairy.

This advice is heavily contested with people saying that carbs and starch need to be lower and protein higher, however others are saying that rather than increasing protein this also needs to stay low because protein also converts to sugars.

I am so confused about what is good to eat - carbs or proteins and what portions sizes we should be aiming for in each food group. I am not a nut, seed, or pulses eater so these would definitely not be in my basket, however I love the mediterranean diet so would like to follow something along these lines.

I have a history of heart disease, strokes and diabetes in my family so it is important that at 35 I make the right lifestyle choices - can anyone help??

Many Thanks

Colleen

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There are no exact percentages of fat/carbs/protein that are going to be perfect for everyone. Most medical organisations will tell you to eat plenty of fiber, so lots of whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, beans etc, a minimum amount of protein depending on age, activity etc, and limit saturated fats. But there is no magic ratio that you need to follow religiously.
    If health is your concern, you will have more success discussing this with your dr and googling medical research and medical guidelines than discussing this here. You will get all answers from "all drs are wrong, a diet based on bacon and 10 eggs per day is the best for your health" to "eat nothing but lettuce, everything else is evil" and everything in between.
    Personally, I follow pretty much this: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/ which is very consistent with a Mediterranean diet, which is how I eat. Because I actually live in the Mediterranean, so this is what is natural for me :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Just pick a balance that works for you. Opinions about proper nutrition are pretty fluid. 20 years ago, fat was horrible and carbs were the go-to macro.

Here are some suggested ranges:

Protein: 15% to 25% of calories
    Fat: 20% to 35% of calories (the upper limit has recently been withdrawn, at least in the US)
    Carbs: 45% to 65% of calories

Nutrient Reference Values
  • colleendodd642
    colleendodd642 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the link - I also prefer the Mediterranean diet so this is heaven to read for me.
  • colleendodd642
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Just pick a balance that works for you. Opinions about proper nutrition are pretty fluid. 20 years ago, fat was horrible and carbs were the go-to macro.

Fat: 20% to 35% of calories (the upper limit has recently been withdrawn, at least in the US)

Again, thanks for the link. I appears that according to the advice on the link there are good and bad carbs - this is something I need to look into because I had no idea there was any difference!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Again, thanks for the link. I appears that according to the advice on the link there are good and bad carbs - this is something I need to look into because I had no idea there was any difference!
    65%of energy (predominantly from low energy density and/or low glycaemic index food sources).
    That just means to include low calorie/low carb veggies like kale, spinach, romaine, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers, . . :) You probably are already doing that.
  • colleendodd642
    Options
    Ah thanks for clearing that up - yep I am so it seems I am eating too much white carbs and feta cheese, and drinking too much red wine lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks for clearing that up - yep I am so it seems I am eating too much white carbs and feta cheese, and drinking too much red wine lol.
    Feta cheese is mostly protein with some fats and carbs. You need protein. "White" carbs are fine as part of the overall picture. Wine, . . . . well it has calories so drink if it fits into your calories for the day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

With a family history of strokes etc, make sure your blood pressure in under control and not affected by too much salt . Feta is notoriously high in sodium. At least the real thing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This and 5 servings of fruit and veggies.
  • colleendodd642
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Feta cheese is mostly protein with some fats and carbs. You need protein. "White" carbs are fine as part of the overall picture. Wine, . . . . well it has calories so drink if it fits into your calories for the day.

I tend to only drink it on a weekend, however I am a gannet and can't stop at just one glass. I can easily drink two bottles over the weekend and therein lies my weight problem! I love the stuff, but I know that in order to lose weight I need to be more moderate with it and more strict with my food choices when I am drinking it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i take a common sense approach and avoid silly health magazine articles and whatnot...lots of whole foods to include plenty of veg and fruit...whole grains...lean proteins...fats from things like nuts and avocados...I eat a very balanced diet of all three macro nutrients...moderate carbs, moderate fat, moderate protein.

ya know...common sense old fashioned balanced diet approach rather than a bunch of nonsense.
  • colleendodd642
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

With a family history of strokes etc, make sure your blood pressure in under control and not affected by too much salt . Feta is notoriously high in sodium. At least the real thing.

Luckily my blood pressure is very stable and I usually only eat 50g of feta when I do eat it. I rarely add salt to my food unless it is with chips and they are a treat! I prefer to use spices and herbs to flavour food so I am quite lucky that my sodium intake is almost always way under what it should be - but this is another reason why I hate processed sauces - I can always taste it because I rarely add it to my sauces etc.
  • colleendodd642
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i take a common sense approach and avoid silly health magazine articles and whatnot...lots of whole foods to include plenty of veg and fruit...whole grains...lean proteins...fats from things like nuts and avocados...I eat a very balanced diet of all three macro nutrients...moderate carbs, moderate fat, moderate protein.

ya know...common sense old fashioned balanced diet approach rather than a bunch of nonsense.

I try to eat well but I was worrying that I am inadvertently making poor choices and that's why I looked on the NHS but I agree the information out there is just so conflicting and confusing.
    I also try not to read magazine articles or pay attention to fad diets. I know one person who has done every diet known., she literally exist on shakes or smoothies or whatever is the latest quick fix miracle diet and has done for 4 years, despite being naturally slim. I feel like screaming at her that rather than spend money on these diets she would be better seeing a counsellor because her body image is terrible.
    What is super sad is her little girl often refuses food and wants shakes, and is constantly checking her belly size at only 3 years old. What a negative message that child is receiving!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Tons of people I know do fad diets. They enjoy that. Leave them to it.

Except for sodium, which is set at the highest end of any range that anyone reliable might set, the MFP numbers are what is recommended by most experts. They're good, general numbers. Sodium is often advised to stay under 1500, especially for people who are older, black or have a family history of cardiovascular issues. If you are able to get regular check-ups, ask the doctor what he'd advise for you the next time you're there.

The Mediterranean diet is often recommended as a healthy way of eating.

Everyone on MFP has different ways of dieting. We all find what works for us and you'll find your way, too. :)

If you're really interested, visit a library or go to amazon and get yourself a reliable book on nutrition. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    As long as you are within your healthy weight range, consuming plenty of vegetables and exercising regularly (even if it's just a short daily walk), you should be fine regardless of the macro ratios you choose. So make your macro choice based on what would breed consistency, not what people tell you is better. An 80% "healthy" diet that you have no problems following for life is better than a 100% "healthy" diet that you will do for a couple of weeks then quit. Given your family history lifelong consistency is the most important aspect of any health change you choose to make.
  • colleendodd642
    Options
    As long as you are within your healthy weight range, consuming plenty of vegetables and exercising regularly (even if it's just a short daily walk), you should be fine regardless of the macro ratios you choose. So make your macro choice based on what would breed consistency, not what people tell you is better. An 80% "healthy" diet that you have no problems following for life is better than a 100% "healthy" diet that you will do for a couple of weeks then quit. Given your family history lifelong consistency is the most important aspect of any health change you choose to make.

Sadly I am overweight at the moment :( I am 5ft 3 and weigh 10st 9, so I need to really lose a good 20lb to be an ideal weight, but this is purely down to a lack of exercise and a lack of willpower when it comes to the wine on a weekend. I think once I get this reigned in and start moving more it will come off quicker.

I just want to say a huge thank you to you all for all your advice and links, it has been invaluable and very reassuring to know that I am making the right choices in most areas :smiley: