Map my Run--For me

Options
Hello Fellow MFP's--

I just want to share a website/app with you all in hopes it might work for you. I'm slowly starting to become a runner. By slow I mean slow like start at about 15 minutes a mile maybe, maybe more. This is the start of my 4th week in weight loss and exercise ( and on MFP).

I'm using a website also called http://www.mapmyrun.com. It allows me to map where I run(Duh! :) ). This is what I want to share with people because I myself have started to change my view on exercising!

I love working out in the gym, it gives me motivation and I always feel good leaving the gym. I always hated seeing other people though which of course happens in most gyms. Most people at the gym ( or at least when I'm there ) ARE NOT OVERWIEGHT/CHUBBY/FAT/CHUNKY or any word you choose to describe having a few extra on ya :).

This is VERY discouraging for me. Sometimes I would attempt to make it's more of a challenge like work harder but MOST times, I find myself looking at people and having negative thoughts, something along the lines of… you don't need to be here…why are you here…life is not fair… haha :)

This is when I decided I need more POSITIVE in my weight-loss. I had to overcome another challenge and thats running outside… WHERE THE WORLD CAN SEE YOU. Or so I thought. The first few times were scary. Every time I saw a car i wanted to run faster, like I was on a beach and Pam Anderson or something… It was stupid.

However, I overcame something recently. I first cut off A LOT of time on my mile ( 11:35 min/mi ) which is a HUGE accomplishment for me, and I've gained distance i started around 2 and I'm now on 3 as of today. Also I realize I simply don't care about the people in the world watching me run cause when it comes down to it, they don't care either. Imagine the worst possible thing they could say, look at that chubby girl running. Well that won't be the case much longer :)

If your terrified of running outside, I know I've been there but its something you can get past. Today people waved at me, and I got lost and just wondered and found my way back, let the breeze hit me, had no one to stare at ( I found I stare at the road a lot, not because I'm scared of people but tripping.. haha ). I just ran and breathed in the fresh air we're so lucky to have. I also might have Lady Gaga blaring in my eyes for a boost. :)

I've had enough, this is my prayer, that I'll die livin' just as free as my hair…running in the breeze :)

If you end up using this link or liking it pars06 is my username.

Either way Good Luck on your journey :)

--Parsons

Replies

• smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
    I need to check this out ;)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I love the MapMyRun app the times when it doesn't bug out (not that often). It keeps me from slacking off on the pace.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but use the mapmywalk app on my IPhone. It's a great app!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    A coworker just showed me the MapMyRun site because we are doing a "30 miles in 30 days" challenge and I walk on a path near our office at lunch with coworkers, in addition to running on my own...I am hoping to use it to plan future outdoor runs. I've been mainly running on a treadmill or indoor track because I'm self conscious about being outside(although I am no longer self conscious about going to the gym lol)...but now that the weather's nicer I want to start going to parks and trails...thanks for the ideas and encouragement for us "slower" runners. And congrats on breaking below the 12 minute mile mark--I can do a mile in about 12:15 right now and hoping to keep improving on that this summer...

Please feel free to add me--I really like talking to other beginning runners, and I have been getting great use out of MFP!

Ellen
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love mapmyrun.com. they also have one for tri's
  • Caite_S
    Caite_S Posts: 42
    Options
    I can totally relate to everything you just said! Thanks for sharing the website I just checked it out and plan on using it in the future!
  • lparsons88
    lparsons88 Posts: 26
    Options
    Awesome. Hope you enjoy it! Feel free to add me for support :)