toning

Male, 53. 5'7" down from 170lb to 145 since march. Doing 40 min on eliptical 5 days a week and giving weight machines a half hearted workout every other day. I'm where id like to be weight wise but my stomach is still a little soft. Think ill give the weight machines a more serious routine and cut out the cardio on those days...

Replies

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 683 Member
    If its fat % you need to drop then that's a good plan a little cardio a lot of weights and strength but a progressive programme is best. I'm currently doing body weight routines
  • MRCSGB
    MRCSGB Posts: 3 Member
    yep. my workout center doesn't have free weights, just life-fit weight machines so i'll make the best of that. also been doing core exercises in the mornings-squats, crunches, planks etc. This on top of making more sensible choices in my diet...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ditch the machines and get on a structured lifting program that incorporates compound movements like strong lifts 5x5, all pro beginner routine, or starting strength.

Also, there is no such thing as toning....
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ditch the machines and get on a structured lifting program that incorporates compound movements like strong lifts 5x5, all pro beginner routine, or starting strength.

Also, there is no such thing as toning....
    This

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Maybe if you step up your game from what you call halfhearted to lifting as heavy as you reasonably can? That's what helped me the most.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I've been lifting for years, but recently started with the Stronglifts 5x5 program and blew away all my previous highs. Form is key and the program really stresses this. No need to kill yourself, but you probably need a more structured program. Whatever program you find, just stick with it. In the beginning find a pro if possible and have them review your form.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    MRCSGB wrote: »
    yep. my workout center doesn't have free weights, just life-fit weight machines so i'll make the best of that. also been doing core exercises in the mornings-squats, crunches, planks etc. This on top of making more sensible choices in my diet...

Any possibility of switching gyms? Or purchasing free weights for your home? If you really want to improve then there's no room for "half hearted" effort. Good advice has been given already. If you do get free weights but aren't used to them make sure your form is correct first and foremost.