Gym intimidation

Options
ive been exercising at home for the past 3 months and have lost 42lbs so far all on my own. I really want to join a gym, but it feels so daunting. I have a lot of social anxiety and am rather. Introverted. Does anyone else feel this way? Suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - why do you want to join a gym?

2 - pretty much everyone in the gym is there to work...i am only generally aware that there are other people around me...I certainly don't have the time or inclination to sit their and watch them or judge them or whatever people worry about here (this comes up a lot).

3 - in most gyms, the majority will be in the same or similar position as you...yes, there are fit people in the gym...but there are more people just trying to get fit and healthy and lose weight...you're in good company
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ahhh The Big Scary Gym.. You Need To Remember You Are There For You. There Are Going To Be Super Fit People There, And Not So Fit, DO NOT COMPARE! Biggest Mistake is Going To The Gym And Comparing Yourself To The People There.. They Do NOT Matter... You Are There For You To Reach Your Own Goals And If You're Not As Fit Or As Strong As The Next Person Who Cares? So Prepare Yourself For That And Be Ready To Tell Yourself Just That..
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The gym doesn't have to be a social place. I am super introverted in real life. When I go to the gym, I smile and say hello to the person who swipes my card, and from that point on, the only time I talk is if somebody asks me how many sets I have left or what time it is. I have never ever had anybody be rude to me or make fun of me or whatever else it is that people are afraid of other people in the gym doing. Or if they have, I am completely oblivious to it because I'm not watching other people other than to stay out of their way. I just go in, do what I do, and leave. My suggestion is to go there, put in your ear plugs, and do your work. You'll be fine.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Really, you ought to go for a day, a class, a tour and make sure it's really something you're interested in. I had a gym membership and I loved it. Right now, it's not in the budget and I'm working out at home and that's okay too. There's no right or wrong with a gym membership, just what works for you.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    You can start off easy at the gym and just get used to it at first -- walk or run on a treadmill, ride a stationary bike, that sort of thing... then when you get used to the place start adding workouts and even take classes.... I would suggest getting a trainer if only for one session just to show you around and give you and intro to what you can be doing... my gym offered a cut rate session just for that purpose when I started a few years ago. Look up StrongLifts 5x5 -- that's a great strength training program for a beginner and it starts with no experience and slowly builds up -- they have a phone tracking app and online videos showing the lifts. Spinning class might be a great place for you -- a sweaty cardio workout where each person is on their individual bike and focused on themselves and not on others around them.
  • klbrewer07
    klbrewer07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I remember being exactly where you are, but I also remember sucking it up and going anyway because MY GOALS were more important than ANYTHING else. I spent a couple of months using the machines and kept to myself, then I moved to plate loaded machines, and when the day came that I picked up a dumbbell and barbell, I never looked back. Now I walk around like I own the place. In all honesty, people are there to work on themselves and to focus on their own goals. The gym is a pretty self-centered place where virtually everyone is focused entirely on themselves! Get selfish about what you want and get in there!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to workout, not socialize. If I were to socialize, more than just being polite, my 1 hour workout would turn into 2 hours.

Also, from my perspective, it doesn't matter what shape you are in or how much you can lift. If you're at the gym, you've made a decision to improve yourself and that's all I need to know. Good for you. If you're not in all that great shape, even better for you for wanting to make a change and having the guts to take that step.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Go once, see how it feels, then decide whether you want to stay at home or go out to the gym. A lot of the time we build these things up in our mind until they seem bigger than they actually are.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm introverted x 100 which is why I go to the gym at 5am when there is only two or three people there. I worked out at 6pm one day never again..
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to get the first couple of visits out of the way and then it will seem much less intimidating. As far as being introverted, people really don't talk or socialize much at the gym (keep headphones in and no one will bother you) and the vast majority are just doing their thing and paying little attention to others.

Once you get used to being there, and where everything is, I imagine it will seem much better and less overwhelming.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Don't be worried about the people there. Most, if not all, that attend a gym are more interested in what they're doing than what anyone else is doing (from experience on both ends of the exercise spectrum). And there's a certain gym comradarie and respect shown for those who show up since you're way ahead of those who don't. We're all there for the same reason, we're just in different phases :)

If you're worried about equipment and don't want to ask, jump on a treadmill or elliptical for a little while and (discretely) watch other seasoned pros at work. Though it's best to just ask someone. Trainers are used to newbies and there's nothing to be ashamed of. Just stop in, say you'd like a tour. They'll ask you you gym experience. Don't lie, tell them what you know and what you don't. They'll give free advice and likely work you through some of the machines.
  • GemmaGx
    GemmaGx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get this as I find it really difficult to get myself to the gym. If I have someone to go with even at the start this helps a lot. My leisure centre has an amazing gym and cousin works there, so always a friendly face but still I find it difficult. I am lucky though as I can choose from loads of classes on my membership so I made the decision to start with one class at first. When I had done this I tried another class with the same instructor. I now go to all three of her class each week when I can. This isn't always possible with work commitments.

I decided to branch out today and go back to the gym. I probably wouldn't have gone but I amounced tlit on my MFP status and one of my friends told me to go and I couldn't let myself down. I went and it was fine and I pretty much ignored everyone else. I might take the advice of those above and ask to be shown how to do the weights so I can build my own workout. I am better when I am being told what to do. If only I could afford a trainer.

So my advice is start small. Go to the gym see how it feels. It might not be for you but maybe try a few classes, go swimming get some advice and make a decision. But most of all stick to it.

I find the hardest bit is when I haven't been for ages and going back again for the first time.so this time I will keep going to the gym part of the gym to make it easier when I can't get to classes.

Good Luck Xxx
  • gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well done on losing so much weight! I am a member of a gym and I love it. My gym is very welcoming to people of all shapes, sizes, ethnicities, gender and sexualities.

I would suggest getting a trial membership and see whether you feel comfortable. If it's not included in the membership, I'd also suggest getting a personal trainer so they can show you the machines and put together a program for you.

I like going to group fitness classes at my gym. However, I pick and choose the classes and the types of people I want to exercise with. I find if the instructor is aggressive, the members may be too but if the instructor is laid back and relaxed, the members will be more chillaxed.