Alkaline/Acid

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    In OP's case, would blood or cellular pH be relevant? It sounds like reflux is his issue; wouldn't that be more influenced by the contents of his stomach?

Great point. Reflux is often related to what and how much we eat.

• m_kipp
    m_kipp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Awesome information, thanks everyone. Just fyi, I was never aware of my acid reflux....I mean I never have heartburn. It just happens at night (and I do have everything elevated) so I wake up vocally fried for no reason.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    In OP's case, would blood or cellular pH be relevant? It sounds like reflux is his issue; wouldn't that be more influenced by the contents of his stomach?

No, I don't think so - I was just making the point that thinking that a person is changing the body's acid/base balance through diet is incorrect. The acid in the stomach is a separate system from the pH balance of the body.

We have multiple pHs - blood, stomach, urine, saliva, etc - so these notions seem crazy to me. Especially when I am told that a lemon, which is obviously very acidic, is an "alkaline food".
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options

No, I don't think so - I was just making the point that thinking that a person is changing the body's acid/base balance through diet is incorrect. The acid in the stomach is a separate system from the pH balance of the body.

This, compartmentalization...good old pharmacokinetics. Lungs and Kidneys control respiratory and metabolic states of acidosis/normal/alkalosis.
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

We have multiple pHs - blood, stomach, urine, saliva, etc - so these notions seem crazy to me. Especially when I am told that a lemon, which is obviously very acidic, is an "alkaline food".

I have gout, which is caused by an excess of uric acid in the blood (which would make my blood more acidic?). I'd love someone to provide cited corrections, but from the literature I've read, lemon juice can reduce the acidity of the gut because the high acidity they bring is over compensated for by the gut's alkalizing system, reducing the overall acidity more than the original state before ingestion of lemons.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have gout, which is caused by an excess of uric acid in the blood (which would make my blood more acidic?). I'd love someone to provide cited corrections, but from the literature I've read, lemon juice can reduce the acidity of the gut because the high acidity they bring is over compensated for by the gut's alkalizing system, reducing the overall acidity more than the original state before ingestion of lemons.

your blood pH is highly likely to be in a very narrow range of 7.4 +/- 0.05 gout or not.

Apparently "Gout is a type of arthritis where crystals of sodium urate form inside and around joints." so the uric bit gets supersaturated and drops out of solution with the nearest cation.

The answer to the lemon nonsense is that lemon juice has a high natural alkalinity aka sodium / potassium content, these bases pass to urine tending to increase its pH. The citric (acid) part disappears in digestion, presumably.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    m_kipp wrote: »
    out of curiosity have you been tested for h. pylori?

No I haven't what is that

Helicobacter Pylori is a bacteria in a lot of people's guts. My sister, who is a doctor recommended this test for me too. She said it was a very common cause. Unfortunately, I didn't have them, so the antibiotics wouldn't have helped me.

I did have great relief from gas pills. Believe it or not, I was on prescription antacids and proton pump inhibitors for years before I discovered that if I just take one gas pill before bed, I'm fine. Amazing! Apparently the gas was pushing the sphincter at the top of the stomach open and allowing the acids to bubble up. No gas, no acid problems.

You may want to speak to your doctor further about your reflux. It can be quite serious if not under control especially with your profession tied into it. As stated h. pylori is a bacteria that can cause reflux. You can also have other complications including esophageal regurgitation which can only be determined via medical procedures. You may also need an appropriate acid blocker or proton pump inhibitor. Of course in combination w/ lifestyle interventions like not laying down after eating, avoiding smoking, excessive alcohol, reduction of abdominal obesity, high fat diet, peppermint, and even chocolate which reduce the lower esophageal pressure. Talk to your doctor, and here is hoping for relief.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It is usual for doctors to tell you to avoid tomatoes and citrus if you have acid reflux. Those are acidic. Also, caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol are said to be triggers. Not sure how this conversation got focused on "flipping" the pH balance of the body, which is a silly idea, and has nothing to do with acid reflux.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    It is usual for doctors to tell you to avoid tomatoes and citrus if you have acid reflux. Those are acidic. Also, caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol are said to be triggers. Not sure how this conversation got focused on "flipping" the pH balance of the body, which is a silly idea, and has nothing to do with acid reflux.

yup, what she said.

barbeque, peppers-I love but they do not love me.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you suffer from chronic reflux, maybe you should get tested to see if a hiatal hernia is to blame. Many people have them and some can be present at birth. I had one fixed when I was 21 and haven't had acid reflux issues since. Sometimes they can't see them on an upper GI, in fact mine was only seen once the doctor did an exploritory surgery. Chronic acids issues can lead to changes in the esophageal lining and cause cancer over long periods of time. Hope you can get yours under control.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    m_kipp wrote: »
    out of curiosity have you been tested for h. pylori?

No I haven't what is that

Helicobacter Pylori is a bacteria in a lot of people's guts. My sister, who is a doctor recommended this test for me too. She said it was a very common cause. Unfortunately, I didn't have them, so the antibiotics wouldn't have helped me.

I did have great relief from gas pills. Believe it or not, I was on prescription antacids and proton pump inhibitors for years before I discovered that if I just take one gas pill before bed, I'm fine. Amazing! Apparently the gas was pushing the sphincter at the top of the stomach open and allowing the acids to bubble up. No gas, no acid problems.

You may want to speak to your doctor further about your reflux. It can be quite serious if not under control especially with your profession tied into it. As stated h. pylori is a bacteria that can cause reflux. You can also have other complications including esophageal regurgitation which can only be determined via medical procedures. You may also need an appropriate acid blocker or proton pump inhibitor. Of course in combination w/ lifestyle interventions like not laying down after eating, avoiding smoking, excessive alcohol, reduction of abdominal obesity, high fat diet, peppermint, and even chocolate which reduce the lower esophageal pressure. Talk to your doctor, and here is hoping for relief.

I assume this was directed to the OP, yes?

yes, just a bad quoter
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Speaking medically, we have one pH. The stomach has acid in it, and there is urea in the urine, but those are all self-contained. They don't affect other parts of the body. Blood/systemic pH is the only one that is a concern medically, and is only controlled by the lungs and kidneys.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    While a lemon is acid it can help make the body more alkaline
    No.
    No, an acid cannot cause a more basic environment.
    No, a lemon cannot change the pH of your body, in any way. In fact, the stomach is more strongly acidic than the lemon.
    The ONLY thing you can affect the pH of by what you eat, other than very temporarily in the mouth or stomach, is your urine.

Once food leaves the stomach, it's neutralized by bile. Not sure of the pH in the various parts of the digestive tract other than that, and right now I'm too lazy to look them up. If I were at home I would. So no, it's not going to change the pH in your digestive tract either.

kalikel wrote:
    Your body's pH is a very controlled balance of acid/base and is managed ONLY by the lungs and kidneys
    And the assortment of processes which move calcium to/from the bone or blood... which probably involves the kidneys. :grin:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What stopped my acid reflux was losing weight.
    No more zantac, no more tums, no more heartburn at night.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    While a lemon is acid it can help make the body more alkaline
    kalikel wrote:
    Your body's pH is a very controlled balance of acid/base and is managed ONLY by the lungs and kidneys
    And the assortment of processes which move calcium to/from the bone or blood... which probably involves the kidneys. :grin:

No, calcium in the blood is independent of the acid/base balance. it is unaffected by that.