chicken breast serving size?

Options
prncssgigglefce
prncssgigglefce Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Question!!! What is the recommended serving size of a piece of chicken, also is that before or after its cooked? I recently started weighing my chicken breasts but without knowing that it seems kinda pointless.. Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    generally 4 ounces raw chicken breast is considered a serving/portion...generally speaking most actual chicken breasts are closer to 8 ounces. I generally have more than one serving/portion...log appropriately. I see all kinds of people logging 4 ounces but they're eating a whole chicken breast...I've never seen a whole chicken breast be 4 ounces...people notoriously under log what they're actually eating.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Always weigh raw and log appropriately
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine raw and usually cut them up to weigh 170g-227g (6-8oz.) Anything extra goes to my dog. Lately the chicken breasts at my regional grocery store have been massive. 113g (4oz) after cooking is quite small. Like the other poster said I think a lot of people log this food incorrectly.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    4 oz is roughly the size of your palm. but weigh it. i weigh mine after cooking cause its easier than dirty another dish that fits on the scale with raw meat. chicken is so low calorie I'm not worried about it with weighing after cooking. cause weighing it while its raw is really the most accurate way
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking the ratio from raw to cooked chicken is 4:3 so if you weigh it 4 raw than it would be 3 cooked
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    4oz, like everyone said. Most of the breasts are so much bigger! 4oz is a good amount of chicken! These breasts these days are ginormous. I have to chop them up just to freeze them. I don't really get what is going on with chicken-growing, but enough is enough with these gigando breasts.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Q I recently started weighing my chicken breasts but without knowing that it seems kinda pointless.. Thanks

But the point to weighing is to log exactly what you eat not the recommended serving size. So even if you don't know the recommended serving you would still track what you ate (weighed raw).

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I often buy breasts that end up to be 4 servings or lb!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    4oz, like everyone said. Most of the breasts are so much bigger! 4oz is a good amount of chicken! These breasts these days are ginormous. I have to chop them up just to freeze them. I don't really get what is going on with chicken-growing, but enough is enough with these gigando breasts.

I just bought chicken breast that was as big as my face and weighed 2.5 lbs (2@5lbs total), no joke! It looked like it was hacked off a half cow, half chicken hybrid.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    my serving size is however much chicken I feel like eating with my meal...I just make sure to weigh that out raw, so I can log it correctly.