The 40's slow down

Options
Is anyone else having trouble loosing in their 40's? I quite smoking last year (was a social smoker) and haven't been wonderful with my eating or exercise, but I'm still feeling I wasn't horrible enough to gain what I have. Doesn't want to come off either. It's honestly discouraging.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm in my 40s plus have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and logging worked for me. I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Everybody's different—and what works for each of us changes over time. So it'll take some trial & error to find what works for you.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I had trouble before I realized that my guesses at estimating amounts were really, really bad. That is why I joined MFP, primarily to use the tracking tool, and as soon as I read about it, I bought a kitchen scale. Since then, losing has been no trouble, so far. :)
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Nope. 43, just logging, drinking lots of water, and light to moderate exercise (mostly walking), and it's coming off at a decent rate. Keep at it - even the tiniest deficit adds up over time.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having trouble loosing in their 40's? I quite smoking last year (was a social smoker) and haven't been wonderful with my eating or exercise, but I'm still feeling I wasn't horrible enough to gain what I have. Doesn't want to come off either. It's honestly discouraging.
    40's???
    That's young...lol
    Just keep eating clean and exercising, and you will redefine what it means to be in your 40's and beyond.
    And don't listen to anybody under 40 who advises "eat whatever"...
    Clean eating is paramount, and that's just whole, real foods - nothing processed or made by man.
    I strive toward this ideal and meet its demands 75% of the time. Close enough...and life is also to be lived.

Good Luck!
    :)

• justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    40's???
    That's young...lol

That just made my day. SQH1wwV.gif

• mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    I had trouble before I realized that my guesses at estimating amounts were really, really bad. That is why I joined MFP, primarily to use the tracking tool, and as soon as I read about it, I bought a kitchen scale. Since then, losing has been no trouble, so far. :)

^^^
    This....it can be done!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    40's? You're a baby!!

Don't let age be an excuse.
    Do the right things (diet, exercise, patience, learning, striving...) and the weight will come off.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm in my 40's and thinner than I've been since junior high
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had no trouble at all maintaining weight in my 40's. I hit 51 and I did start having trouble. Not sure if it was age so much as thyroid, though.
  • lauralash1024
    lauralash1024 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I've been doing something wrong. I do loose but only when I feel like I am starving myself. Had great success with very low calorie no sugar diet but since I tried to go back to everything in moderation, I have gained. I am going to try to watch very carefully this week and see how it goes.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Good on you for quitting smoking! That's awesome and likely to make a huge health difference for many years. I did actually have a harder time later in my 40's. Seemed like the same old food&exercise routines weren't having the same results. When I examined it, though, I concluded it was my activity, not my age or metabolism. I made a career change to something much easier physically (much less travel), so even though my workouts were comparable, I was less active otherwise. Man, I loved my first career, but I'm so glad to be taking it easy comparatively. Not lamenting that change at all. All I had to do was buy a food scale, count accurately, and presto--everything back to normal. If something "seems" off, it's worth investing the effort to track as accurately as you can for a couple months. Once I did, it all became reassuringly clear.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm about to turn 45 and I am down about 33 pounds since February, and down about 40 pounds from my maximum weight.

It's all about eating less than you burn. Maintain a deficit, at any age, and you will lose weight.
    Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I've been doing something wrong. I do loose but only when I feel like I am starving myself.

I think that is just the way it is for a lot of people, myself included. I never lose weight unless I am hungry. I can tell before I step on the scale if I have lost weight or not. Embrace the hunger as a sign that your diet is working. If you absolutely cannot handle the hunger, talk to your doctor about phentermine/topiramate. You have to have a BMI over 30 plus at least one co-morbidity, and many doctors will not prescribe, but it can get you started until you see enough success to be inspired to continue on your own.

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. I've lost 40 pounds since my 40s.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've only used MFP while in my 40s. I set my goals to lose a pound a week, eat and exercise accordingly, and have averaged a loss of a pound a week since April.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and I have determined that discipline is my friend. It is all to easy to stop weighing my food and estimating what I am eating when out and about. The moment I do that, I will gain. Therefore, I plan things out and I make sure that I do cardio exercise at least 5 days a week - and two of them weight training. I always have a goal. Since I met my weight loss goal, my new one is finally achieving a pull-up. My upper body strength is nil so having this goal keeps me motivated. Don't get me wrong ... I love food but I make sure I do enough cardio to justify that bag of chips or ice cream cone. As long as I keep the scales balanced, I maintain my weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Nope, got it ALL together in my 40's! WOOT!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I competed (and won my division against girls 15 years younger than me) in my first figure competition at 42. Started around 184lbs and 30% body fat and stepped on stage at 138lbs and 13% body fat. So no, age ain't nothing but a number ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Nope, got it ALL together in my 40's! WOOT!

And me

Tighten your logging

Start lifting
  • lauralash1024
    lauralash1024 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You guys are very motivating!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    I competed (and won my division against girls 15 years younger than me) in my first figure competition at 42. Started around 184lbs and 30% body fat and stepped on stage at 138lbs and 13% body fat. So no, age ain't nothing but a number ;)

That's awesome. Go you!