I have a problem...

Options
I can't stop weighing myself! Lol. Sorry, I'm new to the forums here. I started counting calories a little over a week ago. I've since then, lost about 5lbs. I'm under my calories every night and I go to the gym a few times a week. I get so excited everyday that I want to weigh myself.. I even put the scale in a inconvenient place so I won't weigh myself everyday.. But I end up getting it and weighing myself anyway.. So far my numbers are good, they keep dropping which is good motivation. But I'm scared if my weight fluctuates, I may get discouraged.. Like I said tho, so far so good.. So is weighing myself everyday really THAT bad?

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's whatever works for you. You're right, it might not always be this easy and fast and you may get discouraged later on. But it's totally up to you how you want to do it. There's no weight loss police that are going to arrest you for weighing yourself every hour if you want to.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh every day, use an app that will allow you to focus on the trend over time rather than just one specific day.
  • francoUS87
    francoUS87 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're going to weigh every day, use an app that will allow you to focus on the trend over time rather than just one specific day.
    I'm confused, I don't really know what that means..?

DirrtyH wrote: »
    It's whatever works for you. You're right, it might not always be this easy and fast and you may get discouraged later on. But it's totally up to you how you want to do it. There's no weight loss police that are going to arrest you for weighing yourself every hour if you want to.

Haha! Weight loss police.. I wish they did exist.. They'd be able to get my butt in line :#
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are not alone --- everyone has a different relationship with the scale and what you do changes over time. I weigh myself once a day but only record it in Mfp once a week. Even then I only pay attention to the trend ( look at monthly weight).
  • francoUS87
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You are not alone --- everyone has a different relationship with the scale and what you do changes over time. I weigh myself once a day but only record it in Mfp once a week. Even then I only pay attention to the trend ( look at monthly weight).
    Oh OK, I see.. Yeah that's what I was doing. I weigh myself just to give my brain the satisfaction.. But I'll only enter it in every Sunday. I just like to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. o:)
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You won't lose every time you hit the scale. You might never cross the calorie limit, but could retain water by extra exercise or increased sodium that day. It will happen. Don't get discouraged by it. The general trend over weeks is what you want to see. I steadily went down from 247 to 237, then up to 241 then 243 then 239 then 237... It happens. Weigh as often as you like but know that one day there will be an increase that shocks you and you won't know what you did... Weight loss isn't linear day to day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    francoUS87 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'm confused, I don't really know what that means..?

DirrtyH wrote: »

Haha! Weight loss police.. I wish they did exist.. They'd be able to get my butt in line :#

There are apps that track you loss over time. So if one day you get on and weigh a pound heavier, and the next you're a pound and a half lighter, the next you're two pounds heavier, etc...it smooths these fluctuations out and shows a rolling average over a week. This way those fluctuations don't discourage you. Look up Trendweight, Happy Scale, Libra.
  • GiuliaAutumn
    GiuliaAutumn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I somehow do have a "scale police": my boyfriend loves to make fun of me for weighting myself every morning :D but I have to say, your concern is well founded. Everytime I see my weight going up of half a kilo my day is automatically ruined - but there's no price on the satisfaction of seing digits going down :) my suggestion would be, just be careful not to turn this into an obsession. Weighting yourself once or twice a week sounds like a good compromise
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My scale is never right, so the only numbers I trust is when I weigh when I see my Diabetic Educator once a month. I was obsessing about weighing until I found out my scale is wrong
  • francoUS87
    Options
    Good feedback guys! Glad I'm not alone and it's not an entirely bad thing to weigh yourself so often. I won't let the fluctuation discourage me, hope you guys stay strong too!
  • s_y8s
    s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm an addict too haha
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I was losing the majority of my weight I wanted to weigh myself ALL THE TIME! So I totally get it! Eventually the numbers stopped going down all the time and I found myself becoming stressed on fluctuating numbers, so I stopped weighing myself daily. When I started to maintain I weighed myself every two weeks to make sure I stayed in line. Now that I'm slowly trying to lose that last bit I weigh myself weekly. In the end you just have to do what works for you and over time that might change. You just do you! Congrats on the losses. :smile:
  • francoUS87
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    When I was losing the majority of my weight I wanted to weigh myself ALL THE TIME! So I totally get it! Eventually the numbers stopped going down all the time and I found myself becoming stressed on fluctuating numbers, so I stopped weighing myself daily. When I started to maintain I weighed myself every two weeks to make sure I stayed in line. Now that I'm slowly trying to lose that last bit I weigh myself weekly. In the end you just have to do what works for you and over time that might change. You just do you! Congrats on the losses. :smile:
    thanks! And congrats also! My goal is to lose 35 more lbs then maintain/build muscle.. I started at 245.. I'm down to 235.. When I started my fitness pal I started at 241 tho and that was like a week and a half ago. I guess I'll get it out my system. I'm sure eventually (like you) I'll slow down on the weighing. Seems normal to get excited when you begin! :p