Protein Questions!

Options
ace175
ace175 Posts: 518 Member
Hi all! So I feel I should up my level of protein and I have two questions.
1. how much should we consume? I found some calculation online, but I have no idea if this is right
and 2. what are the best foods that contain a lot of protein (aside from meats)

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 1/2 of my weight in protein a day, not sure if that is "right' or not but it works for me.

I drink protein shakes, quinoa is great for protein. Greek yogurt.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Nuts, protein shakes, greek yogurt are just a few. Not sure on the amount you should have, but I do know that on workout days you should have more than a regular day.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, any kind of nut butter (peanut butter, nutella, etc...)
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My DR said I should not eat under 60g of protein a day, So I shoot for about 80g of very lean protein.

~BobbieJo
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You can typically google vegetarian protein sources and find lists... This one is like a blog with a bunch of info as well, not sure how reliable side information is, but the list should at least give some ideas!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt, fresh mozzarella cheese, and beans/grain when I don't want more meat. Greek yogurt has a TON of protein. In my opinion the Chobani tastes the best, but each person has to do what works for them. Have recipes for a pecan crusted fresh mozzarella salad, and for a sweet potato dish that has couscous and garbanzo beans for protein. Send me a message if you're interested in the recipes.
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i read to eat 1/2 -1 g per pound of weight u wanna be. i would eat around a 100 if i was u
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Check out nutritiondata.self.com I find this site a great resource!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    The answers are going to vary here, but the rule of thumb is to consume about 0.8 to 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass you have.

To calculate your lean body mass, you need to know your body fat % (or a close estimate).

Consuming this amount will allow you to preserve more lean body tissue during your fat loss. By preserving the lean tissue, your body is going to burn additional calories since muscle requires more calories to exist than other tissues.

I would not reach for nuts as a source of protein as they are very high in fat (albeit good fat) and calories. A plentiful handful of nuts and you've just consumed 200-400 calories. Yes, nuts have protein but I wouldn't go to nuts if I needed to consume protein.

Chicken breast / tenderloin
    Top Round Sirloin or other lean cuts of red meat
    Center cut pork loin
    Fish (Tuna)
    Greek Yogurt (do your research since not all greek yogurts are created equal)
    Cottage Cheese
    Protein supplements
    - Whey - fast digestion, good for post workout
    - Casein - slow digestion, good for before bed or anytime other than right after a workout
    - Egg / Soy / Beef etc..there are a few different ones out there, but Whey, Egg, Soy and Casein are your more popular ones.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'm starting to drink protein shakes more (with whey protein powder), so I know that'll give me a good boost of protein.
    Thanks again!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'm starting to drink protein shakes more (with whey protein powder), so I know that'll give me a good boost of protein.
    Thanks again!!

If you like smoothies...just add a scoop of protein powder to it...or oatmeal, or pancakes, or whatever...it's pretty versatile. I used to put a tsp of instant coffee with a scoop of chocolate protein powder in some skim milk or water...makes a GREAT low-cal breakfast!