P90X Questions

Options
Hey everyone,

I am a novice to this website; thought it would be a good idea surround myself with like-minded people. Anyways, I just began P90X last night and have a few questions for you all.

1. Should I work out during the day or at night? (Are there any physical benefits to workout in the morning versus night?)

2. Is this a good idea for a meal plan?

Breakfast: Protein bar, banana, and water
Snack: Protein bar and water
Lunch: Grilled Chicken Salad (Spinach, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, black olives, pickles, lite ranch, and grilled chicken) and water
Dinner: Pasta, grilled chicken, salad, and water. (Small portions of course.)

3. I am feeling a bit sore today from doing the Core Synergistic workout; should I continue to workout on days that I am sore?

4. I am weighing about 190 lbs and want to get down to 155 lbs, realistically, what kind of results can I expect from P90X considering I will push myself to the max in each workout, proper diet, and also not skip any days?

I will post pictures after the 30 day mark so you all can see the difference from day 1 to day 30; then I'll post day 30 to day 60 and lastly, day 60 to day 90. I just got back from BCT and AIT training with the U.S. Army in November 2011, however I had surgery in which I wasn't able to do anything for two months in which I gained a lot of weight so I am trying to get back to feeling healthy once again. The other day, I looked at myself in the mirror and said to myself, "I'm 21 years old, I should be full of energy and should look fit, not the way I look right now," which was the turning point for me. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone so you guys can help me keep motivated which is definitely the hardest part in my journey.

Thanks,
Abel

Replies

• reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I am a novice to this website; thought it would be a good idea surround myself with like-minded people. Anyways, I just began P90X last night and have a few questions for you all.

1. Should I work out during the day or at night? (Are there any physical benefits to workout in the morning versus night?)

2. Is this a good idea for a meal plan?

Breakfast: Protein bar, banana, and water
    Lunch: Grilled Chicken Salad (Spinach, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, black olives, pickles, lite ranch, and grilled chicken) and water
    Dinner: Pasta, grilled chicken, salad, and water. (Small portions of course.)

3. I am feeling a bit sore today from doing the Core Synergistic workout; should I continue to workout on days that I am sore?

4. I am weighing about 190 lbs and want to get down to 155 lbs, realistically, what kind of results can I expect from P90X considering I will push myself to the max in each workout, proper diet, and also not skip any days?

I will post pictures after the 30 day mark so you all can see the difference from day 1 to day 30; then I'll post day 30 to day 60 and lastly, day 60 to day 90. I just got back from BCT and AIT training with the U.S. Army in November 2011, however I had surgery in which I wasn't able to do anything for two months in which I gained a lot of weight so I am trying to get back to feeling healthy once again. The other day, I looked at myself in the mirror and said to myself, "I'm 21 years old, I should be full of energy and should look fit, not the way I look right now," which was the turning point for me. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone so you guys can help me keep motivated which is definitely the hardest part in my journey.

Thanks,
    Abel

1. It doesn't matter...just get it in everyday. I work out in the evening because it works best for me schedule.

2. You are leaning on supplemental bars a lot. Although, I tend to drink a lot of protein shakes. As long as your macros are hitting the right percentages, you should be OK.

3. If it is a good muscle soreness and not and injury, keep pushing through. You WILL be sore for the first few weeks. Maybe mix in a recovery drink after your workout and maybe a protein shake just before bedtime. It will speed muscle repair and lessen soreness.

4. You are already fairly lean starting out. I started out at 217.2 and ended at 194.6. I start round two this Monday. Hope to get to 175. You gain muscle while losing fat. It is anybody's guess how much you will lose. Net weight gain is typically 20-25 pounds depending...

Good luck dude...
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would follow the meal plan as close as you can. I was very light headed some days, but found adding an extra carb would be good.

your meal plan has too many protein bars, try to eat real food. use the bars when you are in a jam.

yes, keep working out when you are sore. you will be sore ALOT...but you will loosen up after a week. Core Syn is hard core.

I don't think it matters too much if morning or night. just whenever you can really push yourself.

I did 11 weeks of it last year and dropped 15-17 lbs. it works.

good luck!
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you have the personality to exercise in the evening, it doesn't matter. For me, if I don't have it done by noon, it won't get done. By evening, I am ready to simply read a book, watch tv or be with family.

Diet, you will be told to keep it under your goal weight and that is what matters. I only have one protein bar a day at most. It is simply because I don't want all that processed stuff. One way to solve this is make your own. I do make energy bars (Ellie Kreiger) from foodnetwork.com. I use these on my bike rides.

I started P90x too quickly. I actually pulled the muscle (?) at the lowest point on my rib cage doing pull-ups. After going to the doctor, he told me to take it easy at my age (48), with things that I am not used to. Otherwise, I may pull other things. Now waiting a few weeks before I start it again.

Good luck.
  • abelamorales
    Options
    Hey guys,

I appreciate all the great feedback. Does anyone have anymore suggestions or want to add anything else to my questions?

Thanks,
    Abel Morales
  • bmhatcher
    bmhatcher Posts: 105
    Options
    Hey Abel,
    I am actually a graduate of P90X. I started back in August of last year and with the help of counting my calories on MFP and sticking to the program 95% of the time I lost 30 lbs. I'm 41, 5'5". Start weight was 190,, and I got to 160. I have since tried to switch up my weight loss programs, however, I just went back to P90X on Monday to lose the last 30 lbs I have.
    It is a great program! I am doing a Hybrid though. I do my weight training sessions in the morning before work (followed by a recovery drink!!) then my cardio days I go running. I'm currently training for the Army Ten Miler. Like everyone else has said, ease up on the protein bars. They are completely processed and should only be used in a pinch. I plan all my meals out the night before and I pack everything for work. I understand it's harder in the military than a typical 9 to 5er... But try changing up your snacks with fresh fruit, sliced up vegetables with hummus for dipping, homemade granola, etc.
    Listen to what Tony says...the people on the videos are all in shape and have been doing the routine for a while, do not expect to keep up with them from the beginning. If you keep a good log everyday you will see definite improvement!!!

Good luck!!

Day 3 - Shoulders and Arms and Ab Ripper X - Awesome workout! Feeling the burn today! Run day today....