Crossfit

Options
Hi Everyone!

I recently started crossfit. I began in May. I have lost some weight but not as much as what I thought I would. Granted, I have added some muscle and it's wonderful, but I would like to get down to 150 pounds.

I would like to know what I could do as far as losing additional weight outside of crossfit. I try to walk at least 6 miles twice a week but the weather hasn't allowed me to do so in the last week. I am also looking at getting into biking.

As far as food is concerned, I am on a 800 calorie deficit already. I try for at least 40% protein, 30% carb and fat. Rarely do I get to 30% on either though. I am almost positive that I could change the percentage around but I am not too knowledgeable on percentages, macros, etc.

Sorry for such a long post! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• gsxrguy03
    gsxrguy03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi i started crossfit in January and weighed 240lbs since then i have lost 22 pounds. Remember not to look only at the number you weigh, lean muscle weighs more than body fat and even tho the scale number doesnt change much your body will look different. I have become much stronger and faster even tho i have only lost maybe 4 pounds a month. Cardio is also a key to burn body fat, keeping your heart rate up is most important. Keep off the scale and focus on the way your body is changing. Dont be discouraged, and dont give up! #Improvetogether
  • KroKay
    KroKay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much! I didn't realize until you said how much I shouldn't be focusing on the weight but rather the physical change.
    I do have a question though. How do you prevent yourself from getting so exhausted in the middle of the class? I don't know if it's because I'm so new or if I'm not eating a good enough breakfast (2 eggs, half cup plain oatmeal, apple, two 16oz of water) I go to the 5:30am classes.
  • mtoledo123
    mtoledo123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How are you logging your WODs in this app?
  • KroKay
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't. I use Wodify and this app. I use Wodify to track my performance, pr's, and amrap's to help with improvement there. Also, to cheer on my buddies there. :smile: I use this app for tracking my food intake of how much, of what, and where it's going. I wish I could add WODs in this app. That would be an awesome one stop shop for me!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is still active, but if you're still getting tired in class, how often are you going, are you properly hydrated, and how much sleep are you getting. I just started Crossfit (6 days a week in the gym before that) and I get up at 5:00 to get to a 6:00am class. Thoughts -

- I don't eat much before hand, maybe half a banana or half a Quest bar, but I do pay VERY close attention to everything else I eat during the day. I also try to get some protein right before bed.
    - If you're not getting enough sleep, it will affect your performance and you'll need more recovery time.
    - I'm not sure what your TDEE is, but an 800 calorie deficit might be too big (lots more info would be needed to know). I'm on maintenance now, but at one point, I actually had to increase my eating (lower my deficit) to get the scale moving again. Sometimes less is not more.

With that said, I agree you can't live by the scale and if you get disappointed if the scale doesn't move, limit how often you weigh yourself. Go by if you're getting stronger and how your clothes fit. So long as they're getting looser, you're on the right track.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    So you've lost weight and added muscle just doing crossfit? I highly doubt it...
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    So you've lost weight and added muscle just doing crossfit? I highly doubt it...

ya me2

OP how do you know you've gained muscle and lost weight? Gaining muscle is different to gaining strength...
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Ah this is going to get good. Bell ends coming out of the woodwork
  • tkaysmiles
    tkaysmiles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you are at a 800 calorie deficit you might not be eating enough on crossfit days. You have to fuel your body for those workouts. Eating something before and then adding more carbs after a workout. Helps you recover and your body won't think you are starving. You should be at 1400 calories on normal days and then up to 2000 or so on crossfit days. You will tone and gain muscle and burn fat but your body won't think it is starving.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    I'm not sure why folks are discounting so quickly losing weight and building muscle. Well I do, but I'm not sure why that statement has to be jumped on. It can be done, but it is a slow process and tricky. Not sure we have enough information to just come out and say I doubt it.

The only way to know for sure, I think, would be to get a body analysis that measures lean muscle mass. If you're losing weight, and as you lose weight your muscles are more noticeable and defined, it can appear that you are gaining muscle, when all you've really done is uncover them. You also can't just go by strength gains because you can get stronger without gaining muscle.

Still, since the OP posted about losing weight and being tired, I'm not even sure why folks have to find the one thing that really doesn't bare directly on the question and comment on it.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure why folks are discounting so quickly losing weight and building muscle. Well I do, but I'm not sure why that statement has to be jumped on. It can be done, but it is a slow process and tricky. Not sure we have enough information to just come out and say I doubt it.

The only way to know for sure, I think, would be to get a body analysis that measures lean muscle mass. If you're losing weight, and as you lose weight your muscles are more noticeable and defined, it can appear that you are gaining muscle, when all you've really done is uncover them. You also can't just go by strength gains because you can get stronger without gaining muscle.

Still, since the OP posted about losing weight and being tired, I'm not even sure why folks have to find the one thing that really doesn't bare directly on the question and comment on it.

800 calorie deficit, assuming she's new to weightlifting, she's getting stronger due to neuromuscular adaptation and associates getting stronger with an increase in muscle mass. There is an energy cost associated with muscle growth. A thermodynamic energy surplus must be present for the body to build muscle. When running a calorie deficit, especially that high, your body will just plain flat out not build muscle. The best you can hope for is retaining muscle mass while losing fat. We jump on statements to correct falsehoods to try and educate.
  • KroKay
    Options
    Wow. Didn't think this would get much attention. I want to apologize for offending people by not using correct terminology. I have lost 10+ inches and I had been measuring my body fat. I have also been able to lift far more than what I thought while gaining considerable muscle definition. Before I started crossfit I had lost over 40 lbs and I started to slowly gain. I ended up gaining back about around 10 lbs of it but it wasnt fat. Again, I am fairly new to true dedication in regards to eating and working out so I may have been misunderstood.

As far as the deficit goes, it isn't from what I initially started at. It was pretty bad and I'm fairly embarrassed to say what it was. However, on the days I don't do crossfit (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) I will eat 1400 calories. As far as food goes I'm still a little confused on the macros and carbs (which carbs are better. I know sweet potatoes are good. Tomatoes, not so much.) The days I am doing crossfit I eat between 1800-2000 calories. I have based my deficit off of what I was taking in as of October of last year. (1400+800)

As far as being tired in the middle of the exercise, I found it to be me not getting enough sleep, so I started making sure to get plenty of rest. I need about 8.5 hours. Also, I wasn't eating breakfast before crossfit. So, that's all worked itself out. :)

I know that I don't know much because I am still new to everything. I know that it will take a long while before I find something that will work for me. I also don't jump on the scale anymore. Maybe once every 3 weeks or so. I also don't measure the body fat as much as what I did.

I really do appreciate the input though.
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Fat and muscle weigh the same. 5 pounds of fat weighs five pounds. Five pounds of muscle weighs five pounds. They are just different sizes.
  • KroKay
    Options
    I also forgot to add that I have COMPLETELY changed around my eating habits. I eat between 4-5 meals a day instead of 1. I rarely go out to eat and I cook my food a week ahead.

I have been reading up on what diets go well with crossfit and I've been reading that paleo and the zone diet are the way to go?? Any thoughts?? :)
  • Rep4Him
    Options
    IIFYM
  • KroKay
    Options
    Right. That's why I was under the assumption that it was muscle.
  • Rep4Him
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't disagree with you. I disagree with whoever said muscle weighs more than fat. As you lift you may not lose as much quickly but your body will change.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Rep4Him wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you. I disagree with whoever said muscle weighs more than fat. As you lift you may not lose as much quickly but your body will change.
    When they say muscle weighs more than fat...they mean by volume.
    A gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.
    It has to do with density.

It's an absurd debate among the unlearned....

• Rep4Him
    Options
    That it is... But who weighs their self by the gallon?
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    The point is (and what most people mean when they say this is) a person can you can find their clothes fitting looser, even though the scale is staying the same or going up.

In these cases, it's because the container (you) has shrunk, while at the same time you've swapped out some fat with muscle.