My friends are dropping like flies...

Options
I started my real weightloss journey the first week in January of this year, 2011, and have made some AMAZING friends. The first one kerriBB37 is still logging in every day and I've seen her get engaged and lose a good bit of weight, it's been awesome to have a great friend like her to go through this journey with. Also amyrc12, thisis4me, Setof2Keys, lovetobeme and Stefani74 are all some of my very first friends who are still here encouraging me every day. I want to say thanks to all of you and all of the others that are always there to comment and give quick congratulatory words. I really can't mention them all but I'm glad to have them, *HUGS*. I've also had lots of conversations with several of my friends regarding personal stories, whether it be about kids or spouses or work or whatever, it's been really great to get to meet and to know such a diverse group of people.
So that leads me to this: I found that right about 100 is a good number of people for me to be able to keep up with, plus it's a nice round number and I can keep track if I lose someone or whatever. Well I also have tried to keep my list full of people that are consistent, at least consistently here and logging in and putting in the effort. So as much as I don't like to, I often go through and clean out the ones who haven't shown up for a couple of weeks. Unless I have heard from them ahead of time saying they will be gone. I hope they are doing well, but whats the use in keeping someone who hasn't logged in for over two weeks???? Anyway, I've recently dropped quite a few and need some more motivated long term users ( or "hope to be" long term) as friendsfriends.
Good luck with your goals and put on a smile regardless of how you feel, it just might stick.
Jeff

Replies

• aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm right at 100 friends too.. after clearing out my list some... I completely agree.. I like to have friends, but I want to be able to interact with them and for them to interact with me.

Oh, and I'm glad to be one of your 100 friends =)
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Proud to have you ActionJackson!!! Spirit fingers and all... Thanks for all the support.
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for new friends on here. I'm still pretty new. I'll send you a request. :)

Jodi
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to keep friends around at all. I understand we all have lives aside from MFP, but I need supporters who are on top of their game and are gonna be around on a regular basis!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm an MFP junkie! I only slacked off logging one week (last week) because of the tornado that ripped through our town...was a little busy with more important things. Either way, internet is back up and cell phone is working properly again, so back to religiously logging on MFP and trying to get back to some form of routine.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I hope to be a long timer but only time will tell.
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    I'm around or I try to be. I work a lot but I log everyday even if it's a junk day so if you need friends I'm here!!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have a good amount of friends, i have over 100... maybe 150 or 200? i don't know. I have been getting a lot of request lately. Some of them are b*tchy, and not very supportive. It might be due to the controversy i spread. I have a lot of supportive people too. I just try to keep up with everyone.
  • OutDaWay
    OutDaWay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've think I have a total of 4 friends... I log in every day .. Hell I troll the forums/message boards while I'm at work (3rd shifter). I would be happy to add a few more.
  • missclaridge
    missclaridge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be your friend. I started in January too. But then my kids and I were sick and we moved. In short, I fell off the bandwagon for about a month. Now, I need people who are consistent to help me jump back on and stay there. I'm in this for the long haul!
  • midwesthiker
    midwesthiker Posts: 144
    Options
    I hit my 150 consecutive days today, so if anyone is looking for a friend, I love to get and give motivation. Add me as a friend if you are looking for any more. :) I am here everyday. My goal is to hit 365 days!
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP but I am hooked on it. I enjoy reading the information, I look forward to the encouragement and I try to give it back. I'm probably down 20lbs. since beginning MFP and I am I could not be happier. I am hoping to gain friends so please add me to your list of people who are committed to staying fit.
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm here every day! My friend number is still relatively low so I consider myself pretty attentive to the ones I have.
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    I am motivated and adore this site as it is very addictive lol. I think I have maybe 60 friends and about to clean the non active ones out. I would love some more motivated friends so add me pls :)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am always looking for more friends, the more support the better =)
  • Scheherazadea
    Options
    I just joined 3 days ago and have 5 friends! I plan to be here for the long haul, even after I get to my desired weight. You can add me if you like, I don't bite! :-)
  • arcticlynx1
    arcticlynx1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Personally, if someone on my friend list goes quiet, that is OK. It doesn't bother me any, and I have other more active people to chat with. Leaving them on there doesn't cost anything or get in the way from my point of view.

The only way I would drop someone is if they were being offensive or overly negative in some way (so negative I couldn't even forgive their actions. I am here for the positive, not the negative.

I did take a quick glance at your profile though. It said you were an engineer. Since I got schooling in engineering, I suspect that you may be dropping people because you are chasing the 'Efficiency' demon. A good engineer is hard wired to get the most out of anything they deal with (i.e. efficiency), so... that might be another reason why you are dropping people from your friend list. You have to get the most bang for your buck. :D
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't post much on my friends lists nor do I post things myself. I do occasionally. I check every month and clean out non-active ones. over a month and no logging in? you're cut.
  • Debbieclark11
    Debbieclark11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same here! I have been on here for a few weeks and when I first logged on I was so motivated because I was reading everyone's blog and there seemed to be so much interaction..........I was very excited! In my case though I have sent a few friend requests out and NOTHING! No one responds..........it's been discouraging! :(

I would love to have some people who would interact and share!

Glad I am not alone.........
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Personally, if someone on my friend list goes quiet, that is OK. It doesn't bother me any, and I have other more active people to chat with. Leaving them on there doesn't cost anything or get in the way from my point of view.

The only way I would drop someone is if they were being offensive or overly negative in some way (so negative I couldn't even forgive their actions. I am here for the positive, not the negative.

I did take a quick glance at your profile though. It said you were an engineer. Since I got schooling in engineering, I suspect that you may be dropping people because you are chasing the 'Efficiency' demon. A good engineer is hard wired to get the most out of anything they deal with (i.e. efficiency), so... that might be another reason why you are dropping people from your friend list. You have to get the most bang for your buck. :D

I think you probably nailed it.....never thought about why I feel the need to delete.