Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Female 5'7 - 217lbs want to lose 63lb - anyone in same position ? need some help and motivation

Any advice and help from people in similar situation to mine will be much appreciated..... :)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I'm about your height and weight, but my goal weight is higher than yours.

Do you have any specific questions?

I find useful advice from both genders and people of all heights and weights.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 841 Member
    5' 6.5" -222-224 lb - mini goals of 212 lb and 199 lb, haven't really decided actual long term goal weight, right now thinking 170. I tried the bigger goal thing and kind of freaked out about the large number and the required time, so decided mini-goals are better for me
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    I'm 5'7 originally started at 195 down 10lbs, I'm hoping first to get to 170 and then reevaluate. Feel free to add :)
  • MoonCatKDT
    MoonCatKDT Posts: 33 Member
    I'm not sure what advice to give, I'm 5'7 with a starting weight of 250 (well, 249.8) and a current weight of 197.

My goal weight is close to yours, but I am open to a different end weight as I may decide something different on the way.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I'd think you'd want advice from people who WERE in your situation but have successfully lost and maintained it. Lots of people like that around here.

Comparing your rate of loss to your friend who's doing an unhealthy crash diet just leads to bad decisions, if you ask me. You should do you, and not compare yourself to others. Though others have been where you've been and can relate/empathize.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    I'm a 5'6, 57 year old woman and started at 248 lbs a couple of years ago. I hit 174 this morning. My doc told me to get down to 165, but I'll see how I feel m once I get there.
    I have taken it slow and easy and as a result really don't have much loose skin.
    I had back surgery and started my loss right afterwards by walking, walking, walking and doing my PT exercises to support my back.
    Every morning I start off with stretches and an work for my back. I swim 5-6 days a week and am now up to 2+ miles a day.
    I found MFP when I was well on my way, but have been losing more regularly now that I use it and WEIGH MY FOOD every time possible.
    I underestimate calories burned and overestimate calories eaten and rarely eat back.more than half my exercise calories burned.
    I have learned to be patient with myself when i slip up, and to get back on track right away.
    Remember, there is no rush to lose the weight, do it in a healthy manner. You can do this!
  • Kmcconville1
    Kmcconville1 Posts: 1 Member
    Female 5'9 210 need to drop 60 toooo
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    SW 301
    CW 199
    GW 150
    Started June 2014
    60 yo/ f/ 5'7"
    My tip: remind yourself everyday why you started. Consistency is key.
  • jessbhappy
    jessbhappy Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone makes a lot of sense what you are saying here x
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I'm 5'8

SW: 215
    Starting me: mildly asthmatic, chronically lazy, unfit 47 year old mother of 2

8 months to goal at 165
    Goal me: no asthma meds, active monitored with fitbit, regular gym-goer 47 year old mother of 2

CW: 157lbs (15 months)
    Kept losing trying to find maintenance, no anxiety attacks, still no asthma meds, still fit and regular gym goer, continued logging foods, bikini wearing 48 year old mother of 2

Moral of the story: if this former middle aged couch potato can do it, so can anyone
  • Sued0nim
    Advice

Throw away everything you think you know about losing weight and focus on just calories
    Learn to weigh and log all your food accurately
    Stick to your calorie defecit on a weekly basis
    Move more in general
    Lift heavy things

Read

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

And

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Average your weight loss on a rolling basis over 6-8 week periods, don't sweat a week or two of not losing or gaining so long as you're continuing to focus hard on logging accurately

Learn about water weight fluctuations ...link to a trend app like Libra or Happy Scale ...I use trendweight.com because I always wear a fitbit and it's automatic from weights entered in MFP to fitbit to trendweight
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    5 Ft 7 42 YO woman who started at 205-210...currently sitting at 146.6.

Advice

Throw away everything you think you know about losing weight and focus on just calories
    Learn to weigh and log all your food accurately
    Stick to your calorie defecit on a weekly basis
    Move more in general
    Lift heavy things

Gonna co sign rabbitjb's advice...

and add...
    don't feel you have to eliminate foods you love or want, just fit them in...if that means going for a walk to have some ice cream so be it.

Don't stress over non linear weight loss...it happens...I just got over a slump of 5 weeks no loss with a woosh of 2.5lbs...(goal is currently 1/2lb a week)

• BancroftLady
    BancroftLady Posts: 43 Member
    Hi There, my stats are almost identical to yours.. I am thinking slow and steady.. I need to log consistently I know that.. and planning that is my downfall for sure..
  • Sued0nim
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Don't stress over non linear weight loss...it happens...I just got over a slump of 5 weeks no loss with a woosh of 2.5lbs...(goal is currently 1/2lb a week)

It's amazing how with the tight timescale the basics maths always hold true
  • jessbhappy
    jessbhappy Posts: 6 Member
    Wow good advice thanks guys .., feeling motivated to do this now... Love hearing the success stories ... I know it can be done just feel stuck in a rut and no stamina at the moment to stick with it but I want it so much it's pathetic really.
  • spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    I'm 5' 8", 23 years old and currently weigh 101.2kgs. Goal weight is 65 O.O I am really only just starting back at this after being in a slump for ages. I'm taking it slower this time around. Aiming for a loss of .5kg per week which seems doable.