How do normal people eat?

Options
No really...I'm not sure. I have such a messed up relationship with food. I have lost and re-gained 80 pds twice.. So losing weight I can do with strict counting and discipline. Keeping it off I'm not very good at (obviously) I swear if I'm not counting every morsel I'm bingeing on junk! My goal is to lose weight, get and maintain a healthy weight an stay there. I don't want to count and plan forever but I don't know how normal (healthy) people eat. Do they just eat 3 meals a day, do they snack, have desert, treats etc. How often?

Any insight is welcomed..and please no bashing! I've had a bad night where a cheat meal has turned into a binge evening and I'm feeling pretty low about it.

Thanks

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    People eat many different ways.

Personally, I'm trying to learn to eat normal amounts of healthy food without requiring a scale. I look at my portions and follow my hunger. I try to spend days where I don't log anything until I'm done eating for the day...then I see how I did.

It's tough, learning to eat like a healthy, normal person when you never ate that way, lol.

I believe it can be done and am confident that I will do it.

But it's a process!!

I hope others who have mastered this will share how they went about it!!
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I read people's food diaries on here. It helps.

I understand what you are saying. I feel the same. We have to re learn how to interact with food. A strict diet followed by binge and guilt drives you nuts. Try to make healthier choices but allow some treats.

Here's my tip, log it all. Face it and move on.

I would stop logging because I went over but just because i didn't write it doesn't mean i didn't eat it.

I would suggest 3 meals and 1 or 2 snacks plan it out and see how it feels for you. Feel free to read my diary. Best of luck.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. I have never been overweight but like most people I eat food for comfort or if I'm stressed even when I'm not hungry. That's why I'm on MFP-to lose a few pounds and learn to eat when I'm actually hungry. In my case I eat a light breakfast (whole grain cereal) light lunch (usually some whole grain bread, a poached egg, and a piece of fruit, a good sized afternoon snack (Greek yogurt, small latte), and a larger dinner (around 500 calories). I have this eating pattern not because it is healthier than eating the bulk of my calories early in the day but because I tend to be hungriest in the evenings. Maybe if you figured out what time of day you are most prone to binging you could allow yourself to eat more of your daily calorie allotment at that time. I've already had quite a bit of success just by tracking diligently. Feel free to add me if you're looking for friends :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    They are all different with re to snacking and deserts and such. What they all have in common is that they basically eat the appropriate number of calories for their activity level, size, age, . . . ( their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)
    or what mfp calls "maintenance."
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "normal"

lol

As if there were such a thing.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think you already know the problem- you're a binge/emotional eater. According to the title of your post, you're abnormal. And I relate- so am I!

I've lost/gained/lost/gained 50+ lbs more than once (currently down 46 lbs- again- since January) but this time around I'm working not just on my body, but on my relationship with food. There's a science called cognitive behavior therapy and it's basically retraining your brain to think differently from the ways it did before. For me, it's about changing how I react to food when I see it and I use verbal and mental cues (it's a silent conversation with myself really)... a big one is to just slow down and think about what I'm about eat rather than the 'devour everything in sight first, feel the guilt later' mentality I'd developed. Another one is that I relate food to number of minutes I need to do cardio to burn off the calories I'm about to consume (a sugar free Klondike bar is 18 minutes on the treadmill at 3.8 MPH lol). It's been pretty successful, too, though weekends are still a challenge for me. But by developing new, GOOD food habits those challenges will become a lot less daunting. Someday I am confident I will also be able to eyeball food portions without needing a scale.

Journaling is another great tool to help get you through cravings and food urges. Writing about your relationship to food can be very freeing (and enlightening). Good luck!
  • petrap00
    petrap00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat things like this and track all of it:
    Breakfast: one Fage brand 2% Greek yogurt (either Strawberry, Cherry, Blood Orange, etc.). They are about 140 calories each and have a good amount of protein. Only drawback is the sugar.
    Or 1 serving of Bare Naked protein granola (1/3 cup with 1/3 cup skim milk) and a handful of blueberries.

Mid-morning: 100 to 170 chocolate Muscle Milk light ready to drink protein drink (calories depend on the size of drink). They sell them at Vitamin Shoppe, Costco, Target, etc. High protein fills you up.

Lunch: either veggie salad with red wine vinegar dressing or container of chopped veggies (cucumber, cherry tomatoes, celery) with 1 T. Hummus. 1 Apple or other fruit. 1 snack size Cottage cheese. 1, 100-calorie natural almonds package. Sometimes I have a small can of albacore tuna in water instead of something else.

Mid afternoon snack: Think Thin brand lean fiber protein bar, or similar. About 150 calories.

Dinner: Either 1 chicken breast or 1 fish filet (baked, grilled, or broiled), a green giant frozen vegetable or a baked sweet potato (no butter), a fresh salad with red wine vinegar. Or 1-serving of turkey eggplant lasagna or zucchini turkey lasagna (no noodles in either dish!...see Jennie-o lean ground turkey recipes on their website), and fresh salad.

Evening snack: 100 calorie frozen yogurt bar, or 110 calorie rice pudding cup, or 130 calorie frozen banana covered in chocolate (Diana's banana babies). Or banana and peanut butter. Something like this.

I try to eat very little bread, pasta, white potatoes, cereals, pastries, candy, etc. It is hard but it works. I lost 35 lbs.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I agree with shell1005 - if you have had a disordered relationship with food you may never be a "normal" eater. I was morbidly obese as a child and anorexic/bulimic in my teens and early twenties. I've lost the same 50 lbs multiple times. I saw a therapist who specialized in eating disorders and she told me I should stop trying to "eat intuitively" because many people with eating disorders will never be able to do it.

I've been recovered and eating "normally" for a few years now and heres's what works for me:
    - I don't snack between meals unless it is a planned afternoon meal, it's too easy to graze or binge
    - I log everyday, which makes me feel more in control and I don't freak out thinking about what I've eaten
    - I watch carbs and sugars because those tend to make me more inclined to binge
    - I exercise a lot, I burn calories and it makes me feel good and less worried about my intake
    - I tend to eat a small breakfast and lunch so I can save a lot of calories for the evening
    - I don't cut calories drastically, even though I'm trying to lose 10lbs I'm currently eating 1700 a day
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The problem is that "the way normal people eat" isn't appropriate for every person. I was eating "normally" and wound up morbidly obese. In order to be able to maintain without counting calories, you have to have a bead on how to eyeball what you're doing when you ARE counting, and eat like that. You should also continue to weigh yourself regularly so you can catch yourself if you're going off track. Not everyone will be able to do it. If maintaining for you means tracking forever, it may seem like torture now, but the outcome will be worth it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Silverware?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I gained nearly 60 pounds after I quit smoking; have lost nearly half. AS SOON as I get to maintenance, probably another six or eight months away, I do not intend to log or weigh a thing except myself. I will eat what I want, when i want, and as soon as the scales that I will weigh myself on every single day shows a couple of pounds of added weight, then I will curtail my eating. As in two hard boiled eggs for breakfast, Greek yogurt for lunch, and a salad for dinner, until I am below the calories I gained. I've been overweight for eleven years too long in my 63 year-old-life. I will NOT spend my last days being overweight!!!!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I ask my healthy/normal friends how they eat & they think I'm crazy... I ask them how they know when to stop eating. For me, the answer is: when all the food is gone; for them, the answer is: when I've had enough. It's such a strange concept to me.

I've come to the realization that I won't be a "normal" eater ever in my life. Logging my foods, weighing foods, and making sure it's a priority will be my normal. I've lost 50 pounds before, 70 this time, and I'll never go through this again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    Do they just eat 3 meals a day, do they snack, have desert, treats etc. How often?

I've eaten fairly "normally" most of my life, and I've been slender most of my life ...

What works for me for weekdays is:

-- no breakfast
    -- small snack between 10 and 11 am
    -- lunch around 1 pm
    -- small snack after 3:30 pm
    -- and maybe another one about 4:30 pm
    -- and another one about 6:30 pm
    -- dinner at about 7:30 pm
    -- and my final snack about 10 pm

Now let's define some of that.

-- no breakfast
    -- small snack between 10 and 11 am = crackers & cheese or a banana (100 cal)
    -- lunch around 1 pm = it varies (300-400 cal)
    -- small snack after 3:30 pm = low cal yogurt 150 grams (60 cal)
    -- and maybe another one about 4:30 pm = kiwi fruit (50 cal)
    -- and another one about 6:30 pm = cottage cheese and cucumber slices (100 cal)
    -- dinner at about 7:30 pm = it varies (500-600 cal)
    -- and my final snack about 10 pm = low cal yogurt 200 grams (80 cal)

That sort of pattern keeps me full. If I were to eat my lunch + yogurt + kiwi fruit all at lunchtime, I'd be starving 3 hours later. But spreading it out works for me.

I also exercise a lot which gives me some room to play with. If I burn a lot of calories, I can afford to eat more. So on weekends, I cycle and hike etc., and then I'll eat things like pizza, tacos, etc. I save the "special meals" for weekends when I exercise more.

And ... I'll also add ... I've never been a binger, so can't relate to that.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    my husband is a normal eater, ( I am not) and lifelong slim guy.

Breakfast- usually just coffee, a few times a week he has a cup of yogurt with some cereal mixed in it.

Lunch- almost always a sandwich, with fruit/nuts or veggies/dip on the side.

dinner- a plate of whatever I cooked, rarely seconds...usually washed down with beer.

late night- chips and lots of hummus, sometimes popcorn. more beer!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    what are you eating while trying to lose weight, and than what are you eating to try to maintain, are you cutting out foods, than adding them back? Could be many things.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Normal is a setting on the washing machine.

I was just getting ready to say this.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Normal is an illusion. The question for yourself should be what are you going to eat every day in order to feel good. I mean really feel good , a balance between satisfied and not overly stuffed. It needs to be an honest dialog with yourself. What are you will to stick to forever, live with the "rewards " and consequences of it.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    I swear if I'm not counting every morsel I'm bingeing on junk! My goal is to lose weight, get and maintain a healthy weight an stay there. I don't want to count and plan forever but I don't know how normal (healthy) people eat. Do they just eat 3 meals a day, do they snack, have desert, treats etc. How often?

I understand where you're coming from.....i need to log or i'll just mess up.
    Wouldn't class myself as "normal", but i eat just about anything (as long as it fits my maintenance calories).
    I eat Breakfast, Lunch, another small Lunch ;) , Dinner and normally have a couple of snacks as well (could be Almonds & an Apple, could be a packet of Crisps/Chips, could be a Doughnut)!
    So just keep logging and if you do go over, just do some extra exercise.
    This is where doing regular exercise really helps.
    Good Luck!