Low Calorie Sausage Rolls

Options
2»

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Lol, we don't have sausage rolls in the U.S., so I just googled. :)
    You are missing out...if you ever come to the UK, first stop Greggs. Or for a cheeky Nandos.

I definitely will! I love empanadas, samosas, wontons, and Jamaican patties, so I'm sure I'd love one. Meat and crust - mmmm.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Lol, we don't have sausage rolls in the U.S., so I just googled. :)
    You are missing out...if you ever come to the UK, first stop Greggs. Or for a cheeky Nandos.

I definitely will! I love empanadas, samosas, wontons, and Jamaican patties, so I'm sure I'd love one. Meat and crust - mmmm.

You would LOVE a good sausage roll :D Best hangover food ever haahaa
  • jdowns51660
    jdowns51660 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Buy some Jus Roll and low fat sausages then freeze them? You could shove them in the oven when you take a shower so they are fresh and yummy :)
    That does sound nom!

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I used to cook sausages, let them cool, then wrap them in bacon, lie them on puff with grated cheese, roll it up and bake them.

There ain't nuthin' low cal about that though LOL.
  • jdowns51660
    jdowns51660 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to cook sausages, let them cool, then wrap them in bacon, lie them on puff with grated cheese, roll it up and bake them.

There ain't nuthin' low cal about that though LOL.

Oh WOW. The juices are truely flowing! haha! Loving the Cat Taco btw! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I'd just buy one, enjoy it, and move on. I've found that making lower calorie dishes are often not satisfying, and you end up eating the full calories thing later anyway as your craving isn't gone... 350 calories isn't that much and I'm sure it's still relatively filling too.
  • jakehope87
    jakehope87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ohhh mate if you see my post I put on my news feed today, I had two of those sausage rolls and a yum yum and completely ruined the healthy meals for the rest of the days...cant stay away..or those steak and cheese rolls! thankfully the app hasn't got the calories for that one.. probably on par or worst!
    Low calorie sausage rolls though...don't think there's such really loool
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Though they're no Greggs, i sometimes have the frozen mini sausage rolls. I used to eat two Gregg's ones in one go without even thinking twice.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The best advice I have is for any meal: deconstruct the entire dish and swap out what you can - turkey or low cal sausage for pork sausage, add in some finely chopped veg (mushroom works for beefy kinds of recipes) for moisture, and make your phyllo (low fat already) wrapped sausage dish and bake instead of fry. Done!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do you have Pillsbury 90 calorie Crescent rolls over there?

You could even roll them out and cut the triangles into 2 more triangles making the outside 45 calories each.

These have the flaky sort of properties but don't taste like bread.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Some things just aren't worth substituting out. Have them as an occasional indulgence, and enjoy them all the more when you do have them. :)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Anything with 50% fat (mostly saturated) is not an indulgence.

Then what is it?

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sausage rolls.... mmmmm.....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about eating half a roll?

You might try a biscuit dough which is pretty easy for beginners. It will be lower in fat but it won't be the same texture.

We have sausage rolls in Canada. A slightly stronger EU influence here.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Did you have a question?
    Anything with 50% fat (mostly saturated) is not an indulgence.

*shrugs*. You can enjoy your ascetic deprivation if that's what works for you.

I enjoy the occasional deliberate indulgence. That something has 50% fat doesn't make it a non-option for me. Sure, my macros are frequently not optimal, but that's between me, my scale, and my doctor.

Enjoy the real thing in moderation is a viable solution. In the instant circumstance, it seems that most attempts at a substitute are going to result in a vastly inferior product, with negligible nutritive improvement. (I may be incorrect, but it's for the OP to decide.) Given a negligible improvement for a lesser experience, my opinion is go for the real thing. Your mileage, and that of the OP, may vary.
  • spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    They sell reduced fat puff pastry at supermarkets near me, but I'm in NZ so that may not be much help haha. I have made lower cal sausage rolls by subbing half sausage meat for lean mince, and bulking out the mix with grated and finely cut veggies like onion, carrot, and zucchini. Pretty tasty and really helps with sausage roll cravings! May have to make some soon, really wanting one now!