Veggie Advice Please

Options
I hate eating salads. And I don't want my diet to be comprised mostly of salads either. Does anyone have any good recipes that will help me get veggies in some form other than a salad?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I make veggie chili using approximately
    15 oz black beans
    8 oz onions
    24 oz mixed bell peppers
    chill powder to taste
    water as needed

4 servings with 1/2 lb veggies per serving.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Veggie lasagne? You pretty much stuff what you like in those :)
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, omelets, soups, sandwiches( lean meat, low cal bread, load the veggies on). My favorite way to get some leafy greens in is to steam something like 4-6 cups of spinach down to barely anything and make an egg scramble. Sneak some finely chopped veggies into pasta sauces. Trying steaming or roasting veggies as a side for dinner and lunch.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Also check thugkitchen.com. All their recipes are vegetarian and pretty easy to make. The language is a bit rough on the site so beware if potty words are offensive. I've made several of the recipes and they are pretty good.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I eat mainly vegetables. For breakfasts I cook very veggie-rich frittatas and eat them all week, lunches are salads or precooked and frozen portions of soup, chili, or stew that have a lot of vegetables added in, and for dinner it's vegetable noodles or vegetable rice with protein, vegetables and sauce in some manner: stir fry, "crack slaw," vegetable noodles or vegetable rice with anything, etc. I even shred vegetables to add into burgers, nuggets, meatballs, meatloaf, etc.
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can also puree less "offensive" veggies like cauliflower, zucchini, spinach, etc and add it to any sauce, soup, Mac and cheese. Other than the slight color change, you really won't taste it.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I hate eating salads. And I don't want my diet to be comprised mostly of salads either. Does anyone have any good recipes that will help me get veggies in some form other than a salad?
    If I'm misjudging your experience here, please forgive me in advance. I mean no offense. Here are two suggestions.
    1. Google How to Saute Vegetables and skip the fancy recipes but look at the basic instructions of technique that apply to a variety of veggies. WikiHow and YouTube are good sources. I'm trying to think of any vegetables that can't be sauteed. There must be some but can't think of any right now. Your profile says you are a college student. If you have a stovetop great. If not an electric fry pan or a hot plate and a frying pan will work just fine. The only ingredients you need are vegetables, salt and fat. The fat doesn't have to be olive oil but get extra virgin olive oil anyway. The salt doesn't have to be coarse kosher that's what to use.
    2. Google How to Roast Vegetables. Same drill, same ingredients, only the tools differ. If you have an oven great, and a broiler is a bonus. If not, a toaster oven will work fine. If you buy a toaster oven get at least a 4 slicer that comes with a cookie sheet and will accommodate an 8" square casserole pan and a 6" cast iron skillet.

Again forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think if you have those really easily learned skills, recipes are just launching points for your own imagination. Without those skills, the recipes aren't much help.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make egg whites scrambled with cherry tomatoes, onions, peppers and sometimes spinach.

Soups are easy to make- theres a good recipe here:
    Http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/10/mini-turkey-meatball-vegetable-soup.html?m=1
    (I added chopped green beans, used diced fresh tomatoes not canned, and increased the broth. Added splash of white wine.)

Sometimes I do a root veggie hash, though that's better in autumn and winter. Just cube up a variety of root veggies, toss with a bit of brown sugar and molasses, and roast in the oven for 40 minutes or so.

Roasted cauliflour- tossed in olive oil, roasted for 30 minutes, then sprinkled liberally with salt.

Even just carrot sticks/celery/broccoli with hummus to dip. There are lots of options other than salad!
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of vegetarian recipes and try to get lots of veggies in meals regardless.

Short of going recipe hunting online for veggie recipes, I enjoy adding lots of veggies to stri-fry dishes and to pastas. Making a veggie omelet in the morning is good too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @OldHobo , great solid advice. When I got tired of salads I gave myself a seven day challenge (I did not trust myself with longer challenges then) to try a new vegetable every day. That opened up a whole new range of meals with foods I had never considered before. I suggest doing something similar, taking home something unfamiliar and then googling a recipe. That winter I moved over to winter squashes and then in the spring my interest was re-invigorated for the greens. I grew beans and ate them right off the vine and they were divine. Hubby likes coleslaw so I've made slaw from cabbage and carrots that he just loves.
  • rhonda71901
    rhonda71901 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love veggies, but I get bored with salads every day. To compensate, I use 1/2 scoop Garden of Life Perfect Food Super Greens in my morning breakfast protein smoothie. I keep it lean with half cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup 30 cal unsweet almond milk and half scoop of Garden of Life Raw Fit, Vanilla Organic High Protein Powder. These products are not cheap, but if you shop around online with Amazon etc..it is doable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your net doesn't go below 1,200 calories a day. Give it a try for a couple weeks and adjust as necessary.
  • rhonda71901
    rhonda71901 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am always under my net 1200 calories. But, I am pretty sedentary at this moment due to illness. I think I have seen every doctor from Renal to Podiatrist lol. I can't seem to get enough calories in despite eating good food. And if I eat more, am afraid my blood sugars will jump and put me back on medication. Hence, the morning shake. Once I get back to work, I am on my feet and on the move for the better part of 12 hrs. I just dread the sweet temptations that are in every unit I work! 12 weeks behaving and I want to continue for a lifetime :)