protein powder questions... newbie here so be kind lol

michaelafoor916
michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
okay, I've been considering buying some protein powder for days where I can't quite get to my protein goal. I know the more natural protein you eat, the better, and I try my best to get to my goal, but sometimes it's hard and wanted a backup. I've had a lot of suggestions from friends that optimum nutrition is really good but any other suggestions? and flavors?

I had another question too... I know almost everyone who goes to the gym and lifts, will drink these shakes after a workout. I've been mainly doing cardio and body weight exercises at the moment. is there any benefit to having the protein powder after even just a cardio workout? or the opposite, is there any downside to drinking these shakes when you haven't been lifting?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Optimum Nutrition is a good protein powder... I use the double rich chocolate and it tastes alright, reminds me of Nesquik milkshakes. Other good protein powders are MyProtein, Dymatize, BSN, MTS, Cellucor, Isoflex, Isopure.

No... I would recommend that you try to get it from food. Seeing as you're not doing any sort of serious lifting, you won't need protein in instantly... meal timing is irrelevant - that 30 minute window is BS as far as I know.

No. Apart from protein farts...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I have no idea why people are drinking protein before, during, or after workouts... they either know something I don't know or they think they know something that isn't true.

On the other hand, consuming carbs before, during, or immediately after a workout can help to replace glycogen efficiently.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Optimum Nutrition tastes awful, but it's one of three big brands that everyone always recommends, possibly because of the low cost, good marketing, and high availability.

Protein Powder

• Taste, texture, cost, and the absence of "fillers" should be the prime motivators when it comes to buying a protein powder.
    • Fillers may include aminos, which can elevate the stated protein content on the label. These protein spikers will end in "-ine" on the ingredient label. Some include glycine, taurine, glutamine, creatine, etc.
    • The difference between calories, fat, protein content, carbs, sugars, etc. will be very minimal between most brands. Try not to be swayed by these differences as a deciding factor for your purchase.
    • Whey makes a thinner, grittier shake, Casein makes a thicker, creamier shake. Blends will be in the middle, texture-wise.
    • Protein "blends" are the superior protein for a variety of reasons other than texture.
    • If you're doing a lot of baking/cooking with protein powder, choose one high in casein.
    • Quality, filler-free protein powders will obviously be more expensive.
    • Isolates are not really necessary unless you are lactose intolerant.
    • Try to get the large majority of your daily/weekly protein from real food. Protein powder is a convenience "fast food", to be used as needed, in order to help an active person hit their daily protein macro (0.6 to 0.8 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight).

Some of the best protein powders I've ever tasted:

• BPI Whey-HD Banana Marshmallow Pie
    • PES Select Snickerdoodle
    • Giant Sports Vanilla
    • IFORCE Protean Strawberries & Cream
    • BioX Power Whey Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl
    • SAN Titanium Banana Coconut
    • Scivation Chocolate Whey
    • Trutein Cinnabun
    • Metabolic Peanut Butter Cookie
    • Top Secret Nutrition Chocolate Ice Cream
    • Eat the Bear Grizzly Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich
    • Beverly International UMP Cookies N' Cream
    • Xtreme Formulations (XF) Ultra Peptide 2.0 (any flavor)

Some of the worst tasting and/or worst texture brands IMO:

• Isopure
    • Optimum Nutrition
    • Muscle Milk
    • Monster Milk
    • MGN
    • Body Fortress
    • Six Star
    • Dymatize
    • Cellucor
    • Syntrax Matrix
    • Met-Rx
    • MuscleTech
    • Any type of pea protein, hemp protein, beef, soy, edamame, vegan protein, etc.
    • Any overpriced, obscure brand they try to sell you at a hipster health store
    • Any dirt cheap brand they sell at Walmart
    • Gender specific protein powders, which do not exist

Timing protein is not important; just be sure to hit your daily protein goal of 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight if active. If you are not active (or obese) then the recommended amount will be lower.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    wow. awesome. thank you guys
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    My only suggestions is to watch for companies that spike their protein.

Here is an article to read, read the labels of the protein you buy and make sure you are getting what you pay for.

http://boxlifemagazine.com/community/nitrogen-spiking-is-you-protein-powder-giving-you-what-you-paid-for
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Agree you don't need to time your protein intake. I also drink optimum nutrition and think it's great. I have both double chocolate and vanilla ice cream flavors. I mix it in a smoothie with Greek yogurt, ice, water and sometimes fruit. 30 easy grams of protein. I don't really like any protein just mixed with water-but its not horrible that way.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    I just started taking protein supplements and I bought two for two completely different reasons. I bought optimum nutrition for days I'm not working out just to get protein, I think it tastes great. I also bought Gnc "ripped" which has protein but other stuff in it such as caffeine and I believe amino acids. I take it 30 mins before working out and I've noticed a pretty impressive spike during my workouts already. It definitely gives you energy and makes you feel good even if your just running on a treadmill.
  • nhmorris21
    nhmorris21 Posts: 1 Member
    I have no idea why people are drinking protein before, during, or after workouts... they either know something I don't know or they think they know something that isn't true.

On the other hand, consuming carbs before, during, or immediately after a workout can help to replace glycogen efficiently.

Protein repairs muscle fibers that are torn or broken down during workouts. That is why people consume as much as their body will use.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Read the labels, as not all powders are created equal! If you haven't tried it, I suggest a bariatric protein powder. It's easy to digest and great nutrition numbers. I prefer Bariatric Fusion, but Bariatric Advantage is good too.
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    I use chocolate Isolate Whey Protien in low fat milk and I also eat a Protien bar in order to hit my Macro
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    • If you're doing a lot of baking/cooking with protein powder, choose one high in casein.

Thanks for the question and all the answers. I'm new to protein powder, too, and I also only use it on the off day when I'll be really low otherwise (maybe once every 2-3 weeks). A neighbor gave me a Jay Robb whey isolate that I thought tasted great. Whole Foods 365 brand has a product with nearly identical ingredients (the only difference being isolate +concentrate blend vs. isolate) at about half the cost, so I've been using that and I think it tastes indistinguishable from the Jay Robb.

I've also experimented with baking, and so the comment above caught my eye. The whey seems to add structure, not unlike gluten proteins. E.g. 100g banana+ 40g oats (baked 20 min)=oatmeal cookies. Adding 10g protein powder makes them more like an actual baked product (less dense and better browning). I've used protein powder in almond flour brownies, too.

Does casein provide better structure than whey? What are the differences?

Thanks!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    nhmorris21 wrote: »

Protein repairs muscle fibers that are torn or broken down during workouts. That is why people consume as much as their body will use.

Yes, I understand this... that is why I always try to hit my protein macros. Maybe the part that I'm not aware of, though, is that in order for this to work, you have to consume that protein before, during, or immediately after a workout. While that is the most efficient way to restore glycogen (with carbs), I wasn't aware that such timing is important with protein. In fact, since muscle fibers are being repaired over several hours/day(s) after lifting weights, it is important to have protein consistently every day, even (especially) on rest days. But while lifting weight? Nah... carbs are better at that time.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    I
    nhmorris21 wrote: »

Yes, I understand this... that is why I always try to hit my protein macros. Maybe the part that I'm not aware of, though, is that in order for this to work, you have to consume that protein before, during, or immediately after a workout. While that is the most efficient way to restore glycogen (with carbs), I wasn't aware that such timing is important with protein. In fact, since muscle fibers are being repaired over several hours/day(s) after lifting weights, it is important to have protein consistently every day, even (especially) on rest days. But while lifting weight? Nah... carbs are better at that time.

From what I've heard/read it was recently proven that timing is little to no importance with protein as long as your hitting your intake goal. I take my Gnc protein before workout because of the additives in it like caffeine that help push me but as far as whey protein I don't think timing is important at all
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    edited August 2015
    There are proteins in the market that will help you stay full longer than others if that's your goal. Bsn syntha-6 for example has whey isolates, casein, and egg proteins for that slow fast and medium release effect that will also have some fiber. Tastes good too. Quest protein is casein/whey that has low fiber but mixes thick, even in water.

Optimum and elite/ISO-100 are just concentrate/isolate so meal replacement on these, even has a snack, will leave you hungry. I would suggest milk with those for sure.

Depending on what you're going for when you drink them, minus just getting regular protein in, I'd suggest looking into what kinds of protein sources you're really interested in, go on bodybuilding.com for some reviews then find them instore (if not online)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I really like Garden of Life's Vanilla Organic Plant Protein. It's yummy, has a nice consistency, and is naturally sweetened with stevia. Plus, it has an enzyme and probiotic blend included in it to help you in digesting and utilizing the protein. 17 grams per 100 calorie scoop is pretty good! Plus, there's $3 off coupons for it floating around the internet.

Tera's Whey is a good whey-based option. You can either get it RBST-free (which is cheaper) or organic and grass-fed. It is also naturally sweetened with stevia and comes in flavors like plain, vanilla, chocolate and berry. I've had more problems with this one clumping vs the organic plant protein, but it still makes a great shake. 20 grams per 10" calorie scoop, and no fillers are used.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    As a part of my pre-surgical counselling (gastric sleeve January 2015) my surgeon and nutritionist made it very clear that protein intake had to be the priority for the rest of my life. 80gm of protein/day isn't easy when you're only eating 800-1100 calories.

That being said, Isopure unflavored is pretty benign in an iced coffee, and syntrax nectar tastes pretty much like crystal light to me.

Since my surgery I've absolutely seen a direct correllation between weight loss and protein intake - the better I am about maintaining my 80gm/day the less stalling I have with the weight loss.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    efwolfcub wrote: »
    That being said, Isopure unflavored is pretty benign in an iced coffee, and syntrax nectar tastes pretty much like crystal light to me.

I use nectar cappuccino. Nothing crystal light about it. I mix it with one scoop of protein energy by ON. Super tasty
  • Vegankid192
    Vegankid192 Posts: 14 Member
    Don't waste your money. Use any white bean(mild flavor) and blend it with any sort of fruit/nut you want. Protein packed and you don't have to waste your money on high priced protein powders.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

I've also experimented with baking, and so the comment above caught my eye. The whey seems to add structure, not unlike gluten proteins. E.g. 100g banana+ 40g oats (baked 20 min)=oatmeal cookies. Adding 10g protein powder makes them more like an actual baked product (less dense and better browning). I've used protein powder in almond flour brownies, too.

Does casein provide better structure than whey? What are the differences?

The end result, whether muffins, brownies, or even a bowl of proats (protein oats), is far creamier, tastier, and less gritty when using casein or a whey+casein blend vs. pure whey or an isolate.

For baking, I suggest using a cheap vanilla blend. The thing about baking with protein powder is that the more powder you use, the harder, drier, and more cement-like the end result. Overuse of protein powder (despite the type) is what makes the structure/texture horrid... so, it is best to use sparingly.

For proats, I use 1/2 scoop per 1/2 to 3/4 cup oats... Or 2 scoops for 8 jumbo muffins. The protein powder offers flavor and a slight protein boost, but nothing crazy. You won't be getting 30 grams protein per muffin... just a bit more protein than you would normally get if you made them without it.

Just in time for Autumn...

WHOLE WHEAT PUMPKIN OATMEAL MUFFINS

Makes 8 jumbo muffins

• 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
    • 1/2 heaping cup soaked rolled oats (not quick oats)
    • 1 large egg, at room temperature
    • 3/4 level cup dark brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
    • 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
    • 1-1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 2 scoops vanilla whey+casein blend protein powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
    • 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground

Combine buttermilk and oats in a large bowl and let soak for half hour. After a half hour, begin to preheat the oven to 375 F. Next, grease the entire surface of muffin tin with melted butter or a neutral oil.

In a separate bowl, sift remaining ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, protein powder, and spices.

Crack the egg into the oat and milk mixture; add brown sugar and whisk vigorously to combine. Stir in the melted butter or coconut oil. Fold in the pumpkin puree.

Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, taking care not to over mix. Just before scooping into the muffin tins, the batter should appear to be only 85% mixed, with some dry lumps in there. The reason for this is to avoid excess gluten build-up and give you a more tender muffin.

Scoop the batter 3/4 of the way into the muffin tins. Bake until light brown and tops spring back when gently touched - About 22-24 minutes for jumbo muffins.

Remove from oven and let them cool in the muffin tin. When cool, run a sharp knife around the edges, turn upside down, and pop muffins out.

These are approx. 350 calories each - 15 g pro/15 g fat/37 g carb