Intermittent Fasting

Options
hey everyone!!! Anyone out there doing intermittent fasting as a part of their plan? I'm looking for a buddy. I've heard great things about it and I'm looking to make it a part of the way I eat. Feel free to add me as a friend so we can support each other!
I'm looking to do 16/8 fasting with an eating window starting at either 10am-6pm or Noon-8pm
Thanks so much for the support and hope you have a great day today

Replies

• naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been on 5:2 diet for past 2 months and have had great results with it.I fast for 24 hrs twice a week,eat 500 cal on fast days.Rest of the days I eat normal and workout 3-4 times a day.I mostly don't eat back my workout calories.Adding you. :)
  • gorgeousgirl1983
    gorgeousgirl1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! That is so great to hear!! I'm so glad you're having nice results that's super inspiring. I love the idea of fasting but I definitely need support in order to commit, glad to know there's someone out there fasting too and being healthy about, great to be in touch!! Thanks for writing!! Xo
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually recommended the 5:2 diet -- he's on it himself and has lost 60 pounds since January. He also watches his carbs all the time. But you have to make sure you don't have any underlying medical issues before trying to fast. It can adversely affect some people. I've been doing low carb, and when I plateau out I plan on starting the 5:2.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on IF. Any feedback for those that have recently started it? Thanks.
  • shell_bell61
    shell_bell61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Matt200goal
    I started IF 3 weeks ago. I take in no more than 200 cal. during the day and eat what I want in the evening. I'm working on just that one meal, not eating during a 4hr window like some fasting programs. It's just my preference. I try to eat clean also, but I do allow myself my fave foods every now and then. I usually have dinner around 1700 or 1730, or whenever I get home from work. I have lost around 8-9 lbs, but I'm a female over 50 so the weight is coming off slower. I don't really get hungry cause I'm busy at work, and I don't have that midday crash. It's important to drink alot of water. I have my coffee with cream, that's one thing I refuse to give up! lol!
    I'm starting to workout more with strength training. I'm just trying to find what works as far as fueling up pre workout.
    Hope this helps, like I said this is how I do it there are other ways. Good luck!
  • Agatharr
    Agatharr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 hour window to eat. And it's going great!
    I like eating big meals, and once I start, it's really hard to stop eating. So I eat as late in the day as I can.
    It also seems like I'm full faster since I started IF. I used to have a bottomless pit in my stomach, but now I'm full quite fast.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am - feel free to add me! I started back in May and have got on fantastically well with it, it fits seamlessly with my life.
    I fast daily, but do anything from 16:8 (16 fasted, 8 eating) to 24+ hours depending on my routine. Currently I am 18 hours into a 24 hour fast.

Personally I have noticed a lot of good results. Weight loss, obviously. Better calorie management. More capable of saying "no" to food. Easier satisfied when I do eat and less likely to binge. No longer craving "junk" type food.
    My food intolerances are much better too, I have more choice in what I eat.
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started intermittent fasting with 20/4 and didn't lose any weight I actually gained with it. I was not counting my calories.

I then switched to 5:2 diet last week and weighed at the end of the week and I lost 3.5lbs.
  • ptcarlot
    ptcarlot Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've started Atkins and plan on doing it for a maximum of thirty days. I've done it before and seems to work really fast but it's short term only for me. After thirty days, I plan to immediately start the 16/8 IF diet. Good luck with your journey! Please post your results as I'm looking forward to IF and want to see your results.
  • gear559
    gear559 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started Intermittent fasting 7 weeks ago. I'm down 14 lbs. I started with a 16/8, after 3 weeks I was comfortable enough to push it to a 18/6. 2 weeks after that I started a 20/4. I enjoy the 20/4 because my meals are very large and i go to bed satiated. My window is from 1pm-5pm. I'm getting leaner by the day. Upper abs are beginning to come through. Best thing I have ever done in my life. Start with a 16/8 and slowly start pushing your first meal as far as you can. It makes it much easier to start slowly and work your way to a smaller feeding window. If you have anymore questions I am here to help for anyone who is interested.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I find IF helps in my case. I just have my last meal by 5 PM and do not eat again until breakfast. If I do that day after day I start to feel worse so I stopped trying that to rush weight loss. Averaging about 3 pounds of loss a month works well for me. IF is a good way for me to get back out of maintenance mode which I do for a while after a 10-15 drop in weight.

The 5:2 sounds interesting.

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jan/27/fasting-facts-is-the-52-diet-too-good-to-be-true
  • Vivi_boo
    Vivi_boo Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do the 5 hour eating window and fast for 19 hours, sometimes I do 16:8 too. The 5 hour window works a little faster so I try to do it at least 4 times a week.

Anyone else doing IF can feel free to add me :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I did 16:8/19:5 for most of my weight loss. I found it helped control hunger. Am currently maintaining with no eating window.

As long as you realize that it isn't going to make the weight come off faster and it isn't going to do anything if you're not in a calorie deficit, it's great.

I especially liked it because I like to run in the morning and I noticed that when I ate a lot of carbs at the end of the window, I would have better runs.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    ptcarlot wrote: »
    I've started Atkins and plan on doing it for a maximum of thirty days. I've done it before and seems to work really fast but it's short term only for me. After thirty days, I plan to immediately start the 16/8 IF diet. Good luck with your journey! Please post your results as I'm looking forward to IF and want to see your results.

On Atkins, you deplete glycogen stores. So you lose a couple of pounds of water weight right there. It comes back when you resume normal carbohydrate consumption.
  • Caroledeegee
    Caroledeegee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started 24 hour fasting from Eat Stop Eat 5 days ago. I am not training at the moment but I feel so much better. I have had two fasting days and now into my third and as of yesterday morning had lost 6lbs. I am aiming for 60 - 70 lbs. I may go onto 16:8 though.

The Hodgetwins on Youtube are amusing and talk a lot of sense too.

Anyone please feel free to add me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a couple IF groups....lots of information there

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

I do 5:2 My 2 fast days are more like 700 calories, and then maintenance the other 5.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    hey everyone!!! Anyone out there doing intermittent fasting as a part of their plan? I'm looking for a buddy. I've heard great things about it and I'm looking to make it a part of the way I eat. Feel free to add me as a friend so we can support each other!
    I'm looking to do 16/8 fasting with an eating window starting at either 10am-6pm or Noon-8pm
    Thanks so much for the support and hope you have a great day today

I do IF,
    Been doing it for over 2 years now.
    I like it and works good for me.

It is not a silver bullet, it is just an eating plan.
    And as with other diets, it still comes down to over all calories consumed.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I've been reading up on IF. Any feedback for those that have recently started it? Thanks.

leangains.com

That is the protocol I go by
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Trying my first IF today. About 17 hours in - last eat dinner at around 6pm last night, planning to go until dinner tonight. Drinking lots of water & "so far, so good."
  • MityMax96
    Options
    good luck