Chia seeds

Options
Lola2248
Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
Hear people talking about them so going to get some.... what do I do with them lol. Any suggestions (obv eat them, but what with!)

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You know they are pretty nice but i think you can eat too much of a good thing. I like putting 1tsp on salads, fruits salad the best. You can add more if you need to but i already have a high fibre diet and these chia are expensive foods.

There are plenty of other ways to use them but bear in mind that you can also get a lot of what's good in chia seeds from other foods so that would be cheaper.

I think you only need to eat a lot of them, if you struggle to get the nutrients.

For my part, i'm vegan so i need them for DHA but I also take a supplement for that as chia also a high in fat which means i have to eat less of other things i need to eat while i'm losing weight.

The fibre in them is a really good fibre but don't shovel the stuff down your throat recklessly.

If you are vegan, there are numerous other ways to use them to replace other non-vegan foods that might be useful. Just google and you'll no doubt find a lot.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tbsp soaked in water... Then add it to my plain Greek yogurt with some fresh Berries. And sometimes a tiny bit of granola.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is the traditional way...chia fresca. Lime- or lemonade with chia seeds.

We also just put them in smoothies or flavored water.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes Chia Seeds are high in protein, fiber and Omega 3 oils. The brain requires Omega 3 to lubricate the nerve endings and is something the body is unable to make itself so supplimenting is a good option. Flex seeds are also very good for you for this purpose, although the body is unable to extract nutrients from a whole flax seed, so they must be ground down.
    I add a tsp per day of each in my smoothies for breakfast
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Melt dark chocolate in the microwave with a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil, mix to integrate, add a bit of cream, mix until it's all uniform, heat up about 1/4 cup of milk in the microwave, add cocoa powder to the milk and stir until it's all integrated. Now add the chocolate to the milk, then the mixture to 3/4 cup of room temperature milk and stir well.

Now the magic: add some brown sugar and a little bit of instant coffee or espresso grounds to the chia seeds (about 3-4 tablespoons of chia seeds), a small pinch of salt, then pour the milk mixture while whisking. Keep whisking for a couple of minutes, let set 5 minutes, whisk again, let set for another 5, whisk again, put in the fridge overnight and enjoy for breakfast next morning. (that's usually 2 servings)
  • grwrn
    grwrn Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I add them to my cereal, salads, pancake and muffin mixes.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Can add to smoothies, overnight oats or make a pudding with them.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I dislike eating them as they are (too crunchy in a weird way I'm not used to and they stick to everything if even a little bit wet) so I always soak them. And then in the morning I mix them into my oatmeal and banana breakfast, or I put it in a smoothie (and usually blend them into even smaller pieces). I use about 1 tsp a day, and mix with 1 dl of water. :smile:
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    Hear people talking about them so going to get some.... what do I do with them lol. Any suggestions (obv eat them, but what with!)

I love chia seeds! I add them to my smoothies mostly. But they are also good in salads, cakes, yoghurts, etc.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    I mill them and add some to my porridge at breakfast and to my soup or salad at lunch
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is the traditional way...chia fresca. Lime- or lemonade with chia seeds.

We also just put them in smoothies or flavored water.

I'd never heard of this until you mentioned it - sounds great - I'll be making some of that
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    great, I'm getting a nutribullet too so they can go in my smoothies!
    Thanks everyone
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've made chia pudding and I've tried to like them, but I just can't get past the texture. It's like a poppyseed inside of tapioca. bleh
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like them in oatmeal, the gice a nice crunch, and in coconut water and my green smoothies.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I throw them on my oatmeal and salads.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I soak them in almond milk overnight and add them to my little one's smoothies in the morning. I also use them as a thickener for gravy instead of flour or cornstarch.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It seems to me like about 20 minutes ago, all that chia seeds were good for was growing green hair on little terra cotta knick-knacks.
  • arlshar
    arlshar Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Some people mentioned good options. I love it on cottage cheese, in yogurt. You can my a pudding out of it too. I didn't care for it in the nutribullet, unless you drink it right away. Enjoy
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Yes Chia Seeds are high in protein, fiber and Omega 3 oils. The brain requires Omega 3 to lubricate the nerve endings and is something the body is unable to make itself so supplimenting is a good option. Flex seeds are also very good for you for this purpose, although the body is unable to extract nutrients from a whole flax seed, so they must be ground down.
    I add a tsp per day of each in my smoothies for breakfast

Yep, a good source of w-3. But also tons of w-6. I don't remember exactly, but the recommended w-3:w-6 ratio is 1:3 or greater. Whenever I put chia in my plan for the day, it whacks my omega ratio to something like 1:10. Which isn't a problem for just one day. More often, when I put 10g chia in my plan, I decide there are other things I like more for the calories and can get the fiber & w-3 a different way. Flax seeds, on the other hand, are on my yogurt every day. High w-3 without the w-6. Truthfully, I think w-3 from fish is more bioavailable and beneficial than that from plat sources.

• Emma1611
    Emma1611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have chia pudding for breakfast everyday. Each evening I put 1 tbsp of oats and 4 tbsp of chia into a jam jar with frozen berries and almond milk. Give it a good whisk with a spoon (need to make sure that the chia don't clump together) and then grab it out of the fridge before my 6:30am class so I can eat them at my desk at work. Delicious and nutritious!