HELP! I can't have, dairy, acidic foods (including certain fruit), etc..

Options
I have recently discovered I have a hiatus hernia (4cm) and as a result of this, my usual weight loss plan won't be effective. I would usually swap crisps, chocolate etc for my favorite fruits such as pineapple,mango, oranges and have one big meal a day.

However, this was making my condition worse, so now I need to eat little and often, and avoid anything with;

Citrus foods, such as oranges, grapefruits and lemons or orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice and lemonade
Chocolate
Fatty and fried foods, such as fried chicken and fatty cuts of meat
Garlic and onions
Spicy food
Peppermint and spearmint
Tomato-based foods such as spaghetti sauce, pizza, chilli con carne, salsa, and tomato juice
Coffee, tea (including decaffeinated versions), and alcohol
Carbonated drinks
Dairy products, such as whole milk, ice cream, and creamy food.
Oil and butter.

I'm not sure on how to lose weight eating little and often, and want to know if anyone knows of any tips for weight loss avoid citrus foods.

Replies

• kt90gurl
    kt90gurl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was considering the alkaline diet, as this cuts out acidic foods and dairy.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    What did your doctor and dietitian say?
  • kt90gurl
    Options
    Doctor just gave me that list above, but with no real rule for losing weight, its difficult as I don't eat a lot to start with and I really struggle to get the weight off. He said I need to lose weight. I don't have a dietitian.
  • kt90gurl
    Options
    I'm a full time working mum, so I don't have much time for cooking, need quick and easy meal plans.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The rule for losing weight is to eat less than you burn.

It sounds like you'll still be good to go with lean meats, most vegetables, and non-citrus fruits.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So work out some dishes around what you can eat... Berries for fruit, more veg instead of citrus fruit, dairy free milk/yoghurt/cheese etc, bake and grill instead of frying, google sauces without a tomato base, go for lean meat, more fish etc etc...

Instead of focusing on what you can't have, work with what you can...
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That is a very specific list, so it won't be impossible to work around. Calories in and calories out is all that matters. I am also a working mother of 2 with a full time job (40 hours week) and am about to add a part time job (10-15 hrs per week) to that as well and still find time to go to the gym 4-6 times a week and prepare my food. If you do it for a few days at a time it is easier. I am just saying it isn't impossible if you want to do it....you just do it.
  • YogaSanity
    YogaSanity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use yummly to find recipes. If you make an account you can plug in food allergies, and it will only show you recipes without those ingredients. Might give you some ideas.
  • kt90gurl
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's just getting the motivation, whenever i've tried to lose weight in the past ive always just focused on the healthy foods I really like and I can't have almost all of them now, even salad gives me really bad acid reflux.
  • kt90gurl
    Options
    Yummly sounds like a good idea, i'm going to check it out.