Anyone have suggestions on exercise that doesn't put any pressure on knees?

Options
I need a patella replacement :( And in the meantime, I'm trying to find exercise that I can do to keep my cardio up, burn some calories, and ease my weight loss (I need to lose at least 50 before my surgery if I want to have a decent recovery). I tried swimming (swelled like a balloon), I tried the bike, lowered the resistance down to 10 and still swelled like a balloon (raised my seat as high as I could) Walking is out completely... just the amount I have to walk daily at work does me in.

I'm seriously at a loss. I've been doing more weight training, hoping that it will at least boost my metabolic rate a little, but lower body is virtually impossible (I never realized how many lower body exercises require you to bend your knee).

I thought I'd pick everyone's brain and see if they come up with something I haven't thought of.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Swimming.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Swimming.

Beat me to it!

OP have you tried swimming just using your arms? Hold a flits between your legs, don't kick with them.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    How were you swimming? Did you try just using your arms, with a pull buoy between your legs? If you have access to a hand cycle or an aircycle with arms, you could try that (I mean, using just your arms on the aircycle). Wheelchair basketball? How about getting a pair of crutches and going for a swing-walk?

Otherwise, it's just going to be a tough game of sticking to a calorie deficit on diet alone. It might not be as interesting, but it's definitely doable!
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym? As at my gym there is a cardio machine that just uses your arms. I don't know what it's called though.

Or if you're just at home get some dumbells and just do arm exercises, it won't be the same burn as cardio, but it would be a little bit extra plus you'd be building some muscle.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    How were you swimming? Did you try just using your arms, with a pull buoy between your legs? If you have access to a hand cycle or an aircycle with arms, you could try that (I mean, using just your arms on the aircycle). Wheelchair basketball? How about getting a pair of crutches and going for a swing-walk?

Otherwise, it's just going to be a tough game of sticking to a calorie deficit on diet alone. It might not be as interesting, but it's definitely doable!

This, especially the bold part.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Yoga might be an alternative.
  • Bamthor1
    Bamthor1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The Concept 2 erg for skiing. That will kick your butt.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I didn't use just my arms for swimming (it really sucks getting old) because I have a shoulder injury that I just got a cortisone injection for a few weeks ago... so if I use just my arms when I swim, it flares THAT up! I tell you... had I known I was going to be this crippled in my younger years, I would have certainly not been such a dare devil.

I'm going to try orthovisc injections in my knee first, because surgery will require me to take 8-10 weeks off and I'm in management on a HUGE expansion project that is just kicking into high gear. I'm hoping the injection will at least allow me to get some level of cardio in.... but even the injections are weeks away.

I'm terrified of not using my lower body at all for fear of atrophy. It's pretty hard to recover from a knee surgery (I've had 6 of them on this knee now) with no muscle strength. If I was a horse, they would take me out back and shoot me.

I have NOT tried Yoga in ages. I might seriously look into that one, because it kicked my butt last time I did it and I don't recall a lot of knee bending.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you have access to kayaking then go for it. It's extremely fun! I really miss it, but after my back injury anything that has me sitting for more than 10 minutes is a bad idea.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I WISH my gym had one of these. I used to use this to condition when I lived in Alaska for cross country skiing, and you are right, it kicks your BUTT! I haven't seen a gym with one in ages. I might look on craigslist. Thanks for the idea.
    Bamthor1 wrote: »
    The Concept 2 erg for skiing. That will kick your butt.

• hannahthorntonabd746
    Options
    Yoga is a great way to burn calories, strengthen core and improve balance. Take a look at yoga.com/poses if you can't make it to a class because of your knee. Don't push yourself but there is so much on there. :smile: Good luck x