Goal reached, but it doesn't feel like enough =/

Options
Today I weighed in and officially reached my goal. I am within a healthy BMI and BF%, and with 25 kg (55 lb) less.

But I still see a lot of problems when I look at myself in the mirror. I see a lot of difference when I compare pictures or try on old clothes, but it's hard setting myself up for just "maintaining" when my immediate impulse is trying to lose a little bit more.

My stats are:

Female
Cals/day: 1500
Height: 174 cm / 5'9"
Initial weight: 90 kg / 198 lbs
Current weight: 65 kg / 143 lbs
BMI: 21.5
BF%: 24
Workouts: roller skating 2x week, hiking on weekends. Not much, honestly.

Any tips on how to adjust my mindset to that it's okay to stop losing at some point? I am aware that I need to raise my calories now, what's a good way of doing that without... freaking out too much?

Thanks!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats on reaching goal :smile: I hope you did something to celebrate that :smile:

Don't freak out, you can up your calories slowly, say by 100 or 200 for the first week, all will be well. Now you just need to focus on maintaining your weight which is just the same as when you were eating at deficit, only you can now eat more. It takes a little time to get used to the idea of eating more, thats why a lot of us up our cals slowly.

Wishing you all the best :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I went through the same thing (and my stats are very similar to yours, although my son is your age). I hit my weight and even my measurements, but I looked flabby - especially around my belly.

It's been 3 years and that's all gone. Remember - weight is a real physical thing. Think of a pound of butter - that's a pound of fat. It is physically no longer under your skin! There's space there. It needs to tighten up. Exercise will help. I didn't even exercise hard - I just bought a pedometer and started doing serious walking. It will happen faster if you work harder.

When I hit my goal it did take me a month or two to up my calories - I had been losing very slowly by that point. Then I upped it by 250. My weight stayed stable, I was happy, and I kept it there a year. Then I suddenly started losing again and upped it the rest of the way.

But that's wonderful you made it! You will never regret it.
  • 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I'm sorry you can't revel in it like you thought you probably would. This sounds a little like skinny fat might be going on here. Time to start lifting!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bathtub badger - consider doing some lifting as 115Everest suggests! This will dramatically change your body shape. I didn't start lifting until my mid-30's. What I wouldn't give to go back to my 20's and lift weights! Message me for more info - and CONGRATS!!!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    That's where I'm at!!! I met my goal weight 2 pounds ago and am still not happy w/ how I look.
    Flabby butt and thighs and a still a little bit of pudge on my belly (even though my hip bones stick out, what gives?!?)
    At 5'1 and 108lbs I am skinny fat...
    I've been told the same thing (over and over) start lifting!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had to set new goals once I reached my initial goal after dropping from 278 lbs to 205 lbs.
    That just was not enough. I expected better results at that weight.

I lost an additional 25 pounds...and today I am working to maintain weight and cut body fat.
    Best wishes - whatever you decide...

Old Goal
    5yeus1obe3zt.jpg

Higher Goal
    peolp7zfq97a.jpg

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    We're super similar in stats! I'm 23, 178 cm and 66 kg. So I'm pretty sure you are probably at a good weight now :)

Everyone has body confidence issues. For me it took a lot of effort to increase my weight to where I am now, and while that still is an accomplishment, I sometimes too look in the mirror and will dislike my belly or whatever body part. (Which is kinda weird since when my weight was lower and my belly was flatter I wasn't feeling good either)
    A friend of mine who battled with an eating disorder taught me to celebrate all the good things my body allows me. It allows me to breath, eat, walk, talk, be alive. Be proud of your body and its ability to reach the goal you had set. Be happy with your body because it allows you to live.

Take some time to come to terms with this change from diet to maintenance. (It probably also took you time to start your weightloss journey.)
    I've heared some people say that your body (and especially your skin) might still change and tighten up, up to a year after reaching maintenance. (Don't quote me on this, just repeating what I think someoene else wrote). Give yourself some time to accept your new body.

If after this you are still unhappy or looking to get visible abs, I do totally recommend reading the recomposition thread already linked above.
    It will take time and determination to do this, but perhaps a new goal will help you.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting your goal!

My advice would definitely be to increase/change up your exercise. A lot of people here swear on heavy lifting, and that's great. It will undoubtedly give you great results. But some of us don't live or work near a gym, find it inconvenient, or do not have the funds (me, me, and me).

The good news is, even old fashioned body weight exercises mixed with some 5 or 10lb dumbbells can still do wonders for your muscles and overall appearance. I have been doing workouts at home, not usually longer than 30 minutes, about 5 times a week and feel like this made all the difference. DVD's (I love a lot of the Beachbody programs like Focus T25, 21 day fix and Insanity max 30), online workouts, they will all help you strengthen your muscles. Squats, lunges, pushups, burpees, planks, tricep dips, etc. are all going to help change your body.

Good luck!
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    great job on the weight loss now tone it up.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting your goal. Your stats are great and good reason to be happy.

You can evaluate what you want to change any time. You are doing a healthy amount of exercise now..if it was fun and rewarding for you adding something to define and build muscle strength would do amazing things. No reason to if it isn't going to make you happy.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    CONGRATS!

Unfortunately it takes a little while for the brain to 'catch up' to the new physique.

What helped me was shifting my focus from losing weight to a fitness oriented goal. ie. muscle definition For a period of time I also only weigh myself once or twice a month to help foster a different mindset.

I just had my 2 yr wt loss maint anniversary with zero regain ( :) ) and only recently have I come to the point where I can weigh myself frequently and not be bothered by the daily flux.

So think on changing the mindset by distracting it with other goals.

Good luck!
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And even if you don't start lifting weights you'll find you like yourself better as the weeks go by - go to get used to it...
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I didn't read previous responses so I'm sure this has been said but lift heavy. Start a beginners lifting program to reshape your body into something you're more impressed with.