HOLY SHREDDING COW!

Options
Just tried for the first time the famous 30-day shred and that DVD mopped the floor with me.

Wifey as well. Both of us gave it a whirl. J.M. is a sadist.

But I'm determined to do this...

Replies

• williad9
    williad9 Posts: 1
    Options
    LOL I believe that she is one crazy lady but she kicks my butt everytime! Glad to know Im not the only one who finds her a challenge!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Bigger challenge than I expected. I've been doing a Biggest Loser DVD regularly for a while now, which shes in. That 50 minute DVD is nothing compared to this 20 minute workout. Save me 30 minutes!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Oh she's awesome.... and frightening. I really do believe that if I don't finish the work out, she is going to climb through that T.V. and make me!
  • snowbunnies
    Options
    I just finished my first session and I could barely do Level 1. 30 days of this seems terrifying!

Does anyone know if you're supposed to do it 7 or 5 days a week?
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    Oh she's awesome.... and frightening. I really do believe that if I don't finish the work out, she is going to climb through that T.V. and make me!

Like the creepy girl in The Ring!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    every day for 30 days.

However I don't believe it has to be all or nothing. I'm going to accept the challenge of doing the full 30 days, but if you wanted to do 5, no one's going to arrest you. :)
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    What I did was 10 days per level for 30 consecutive days... And I got some amazing results... she is tough and some call her crazy, but she gets the results she promises, so there will be NO complaints from me! :D If I can do it, you all can!!! Just push THROUGH the pain the first few days and you'll be fine.... I promise you that pain goes away faster if you stick with her and push through it. I had one friend take a day or two in between the first few sessions due to muscle pain and was in pain for a week and a half... I pushed through and was fine... feeling great even... by day four. Trust me on this one!
  • jennasan
    jennasan Posts: 44
    Options
    Think she is evil now? Wait til you see her in level 3. Talk about evil looks! I did the 30DS in April/May and it is well worth it. I moved on to Ripped in 30 and I dont believe I could have started it without having done that one first. Great work out for 20 minutes. Level 2 is hard on the knees in 30DS but the nice thing is that she has those modified versions of all the moves.
    Happy shredding!
  • snowbunnies
    Options
    JM might arrest me! Oh boy is she scary.

I think I'm going to stick with 5 days a week for a month. I have a 70 mile bike ride coming up in 2 weeks, and I can't image anything worse than being sore from a different workout on ride day.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    Think she is evil now? Wait til you see her in level 3. Talk about evil looks! I did the 30DS in April/May and it is well worth it. I moved on to Ripped in 30 and I dont believe I could have started it without having done that one first. Great work out for 20 minutes. Level 2 is hard on the knees in 30DS but the nice thing is that she has those modified versions of all the moves.
    Happy shredding!

You're frightening me. :)
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options

I think I'm going to stick with 5 days a week for a month. I have a 70 mile bike ride coming up in 2 weeks, and I can't image anything worse than being sore from a different workout on ride day.

70 miles of biking's going to be quadruple the calorie burn and everything else you benefit with the DVD. So I wouldn't feel too bad about that! I did an 80 mile ride just once and I had to hole up in a hotel for 2 days after to recover. :D
  • dreamingofsandiego23
    dreamingofsandiego23 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What I did was 10 days per level for 30 consecutive days... And I got some amazing results... she is tough and some call her crazy, but she gets the results she promises, so there will be NO complaints from me! :D If I can do it, you all can!!! Just push THROUGH the pain the first few days and you'll be fine.... I promise you that pain goes away faster if you stick with her and push through it. I had one friend take a day or two in between the first few sessions due to muscle pain and was in pain for a week and a half... I pushed through and was fine... feeling great even... by day four. Trust me on this one!

Great Tips! Thanks! I'm going to go get this! That Jillian is a bit scary! :devil:
  • snowbunnies
    Options

70 miles of biking's going to be quadruple the calorie burn and everything else you benefit with the DVD. So I wouldn't feel too bad about that! I did an 80 mile ride just once and I had to hole up in a hotel for 2 days after to recover. :D

Holed up in a hotel room? Now I'm afraid. I commute to work 3 days a week, about 6 miles round trip and try to do about 20-30 miles over the weekend. But the most I've ever done in one day is about 30-35 miles. I would die of embarrassment if I couldn't finish the ride and need to have the rescue van pick me up.

Did you find that anything in particular helped you get ready for your 80 miler?
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just tried 30DS for the 1st time tonight. You're right. Wowsa!!

I've been doing running intervals on my treadmill for 2 weeks and have been feeling pretty good about how my body has responded to it. So I felt like I'd be a little prepared going into 30DS. I thought psh...a 1 min or 2 of cardio? Bring it! Yeah....I got schooled by headmaster Jillian. I had to stop a few times throughout the thing. Level 1 doesn't feel very "beginner"!

My real problem was...the lunges and squats. My left knee REALLY hurts to bend or put weight on. Running doesn't bother it, but I started bowling last Sept and I think that has aggravated it more than anything (I don't have that slide thing down yet). And the last few years, my knees have always hurt when I try lunges/squats. Are they just weak?

Doing it left this question. I thought when you work muscles, you should give them a day of rest. You know, upper body one day, lower the next etc. The Biggest Loser Fitness book harps that. Then Jillian says "do this for 30 days straight"?? And how freaking long till I don't feel like I'm suffering through torture???

Only 29 more days to go.....ow
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options

Holed up in a hotel room? Now I'm afraid. I commute to work 3 days a week, about 6 miles round trip and try to do about 20-30 miles over the weekend. But the most I've ever done in one day is about 30-35 miles. I would die of embarrassment if I couldn't finish the ride and need to have the rescue van pick me up.

Did you find that anything in particular helped you get ready for your 80 miler?

Wasn't planned, actually. I was biking from Canada to Monterey, a 7-week bicycle trip. 1200 miles, approximately. Some days I did 10 miles, others I did 40. That day I planned 50. Then when I got to my destination, I found ALL THE HOTELS were closed! And no campground. And no hostels. 30 miles to the next town. That last 30 was horrible.

I wasn't in great shape or anything. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Ha! I did it 2x so worth every minute!!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    I just tried 30DS for the 1st time tonight. You're right. Wowsa!!

I've been doing running intervals on my treadmill for 2 weeks and have been feeling pretty good about how my body has responded to it. So I felt like I'd be a little prepared going into 30DS. I thought psh...a 1 min or 2 of cardio? Bring it! Yeah....I got schooled by headmaster Jillian. I had to stop a few times throughout the thing. Level 1 doesn't feel very "beginner"!

My real problem was...the lunges and squats. My left knee REALLY hurts to bend or put weight on. Running doesn't bother it, but I started bowling last Sept and I think that has aggravated it more than anything (I don't have that slide thing down yet). And the last few years, my knees have always hurt when I try lunges/squats. Are they just weak?

Doing it left this question. I thought when you work muscles, you should give them a day of rest. You know, upper body one day, lower the next etc. The Biggest Loser Fitness book harps that. Then Jillian says "do this for 30 days straight"?? And how freaking long till I don't feel like I'm suffering through torture???

Only 29 more days to go.....ow

She does say to do things the safe way, and modify if needed. I think that's the key. :)
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    who knew jumping jacks and push ups would be so hard???? After Day 1 my lats hurt so bad I could barely raise my arms, but I did day 2 and felt better after, then day 3 was a bit easier....I'm on day 8 now and actually could keep up today :) you'd think 2 minutes of cardio would be easy, but I still swear at those f#@$n jumping jacks...

According to MFP calorie counter, 20 minutes of circuit training only burns about 250 calories, that can't be right can it? I'm rubber after this workout, compared to a 700 calorie workout on the treadmill. I'll give her the 30 days and see what happens.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    LOL this thread is funny :)

I got the 30DS on netflix so that I can check it out before buying and committing to it. The DVD should be arriving tomorrow! I'll have to see how all that goes....haha
  • snowbunnies
    Options
    who knew jumping jacks and push ups would be so hard???? After Day 1 my lats hurt so bad I could barely raise my arms, but I did day 2 and felt better after, then day 3 was a bit easier....I'm on day 8 now and actually could keep up today :) you'd think 2 minutes of cardio would be easy, but I still swear at those f#@$n jumping jacks...

According to MFP calorie counter, 20 minutes of circuit training only burns about 250 calories, that can't be right can it? I'm rubber after this workout, compared to a 700 calorie workout on the treadmill. I'll give her the 30 days and see what happens.

I actually wore my HRM for Day 1. According to it, I burned 197 calories over ~28 minutes which includes both the warmup and cool down sections. For reference, I'm 5'3 and 145lbs.